Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Philippines backs rearming of Japan - 9 Dec 2012

Default Re: Philippines backs rearming of Japan - 9 Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Hope Phillipines will have a stronger defence.

i don't think anyone here approves of any territorial aggression by China. But a rearmed Japan is like a tiger out of its cage. It is irreversible.
    I actually think rearmed is an incorrect word to use. As far as I can tell, Japan has one of the best -- if not the best -- armed forces in Asia. So it IS armed but under the pretext of "self defense" force.

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Well, there's currently a global shift of power to Asia.

Everyone is bracing for the inevitable change not just China and Japan, we are also expecting the class of Littoral Combat Ships (LCS) from the United States Navy (USN) to be positioned here permanently. Not to mention the unveiling of our network-centric blue water Singaporean Navy fleets with this as the flagships operating together with the Formidable class stealth frigates.

Anyway we already have the "secret" huge ass Air Cushion Vehicle (ACV) Eagle 1 Landing Craft Air Cushion (LCAC) for many years now.

I just wonder if whether they will fit into the well dock of the Endurance 160 Landing Platform Dock (LPD)? Not much use for them unless force projection is a consideration.
    Hi Guys, didn't want to start a new thread but just to add on for those whom are interested as it has been brought to my attention. We have this on the way as well, replacing the existing Fearless class patrol vessels and to be commission from 2016.

Onwards & Upwards The Singapore Navy!

Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 12th February 2013 at 01:50 AM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    I actually think rearmed is an incorrect word to use. As far as I can tell, Japan has one of the best -- if not the best -- armed forces in Asia. So it IS armed but under the pretext of "self defense" force.
    Agree. Precisely why Phillipines should not egg Japan on, unless it wishes to be again part of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it's not fair to judge one whole nation because of the crime they did in the past (especially when it's done by your anchestors).

And I hope there's a genuine solution for this situation that does not involve gunpowder.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSeth View Post
    I think it's not fair to judge one whole nation because of the crime they did in the past (especially when it's done by your anchestors).

And I hope there's a genuine solution for this situation that does not involve gunpowder.
    if a country has not fully recognized its mistakes, there is a possibility of history repeating itself, like Germany did when it started the Second World War. Till today Japan is still trying to hide its deeds during WWII and rewriting history books. Even before WWII Japan has a long and violent history. We are not passing judgement on every Japanese, but saying you should not encourage a convicted mass murderer to buy automatic weapons.

if a country has not fully recognized its mistakes, there is a possibility of history repeating itself, like Germany did when it started the Second World War. Till today Japan is still trying to hide its deeds during WWII and rewriting history books. Even before WWII Japan has a long and violent history. We are not passing judgement on every Japanese, but saying you should not encourage a convicted mass murderer to buy automatic weapons.

Nor should we blame and/or pre-judged the grandchildren of a convicted mass murderer for the sins of their grandfathers...

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Nor should we blame and/or pre-judged the grandchildren of a convicted mass murderer for the sins of their grandfathers...
    I think the Germans that fought in WW2 are the children/grandchildren of the Germans that fought in WW1. If a country or person has a history of violent behaviour you need to be extra careful. Not passing any guilty verdict without any trial.

Japan must never again be aggressive on foreign soil
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

LKY said it in a less diplomatic way:

Singapore's former premier Lee Kuan Yew - who is known for his cautious views on Japan - once said that allowing Japn a military role in regional affairs is like giving " liqueur chocolates to a reformed alcoholic."

Japan's Relations with Southeast Asia: The Fukuda Doctrine and Beyond - Google Books

LKY said it in a less diplomatic way:

Singapore's former premier Lee Kuan Yew - who is known for his cautious views on Japan - once said that allowing Japn a military role in regional affairs is like giving " liqueur chocolates to a reformed alcoholic."

Japan's Relations with Southeast Asia: The Fukuda Doctrine and Beyond - Google Books

why are we so focused on Japan? coz they're the one who did harm to us before? how come we're not so with other countries who did even worst than Japan did last WW2? The times have changed it's no longer one country could survive alone now even N Korea needs ally like China and Russia to survive and even them they still doing trading. Going to war is not cheap and what's the gain for Japan to counquer countries in Asia? Maybe if they get hostile to Middle east countires then yeah coz they will gain oil there like US doing now :-) Do you think what's happening in the middle east now are just happening without someone fueling them? ;-)

Now a days economy if far more important than couquering countries let's try to get pass that we're no longer in the same age/times as before (WW2). Now no countries can lift a finger whitout the whole world would know even N Korea closed to the whole world and yet thier moves are known even what wine and cellphone thier ruler is using and drinking :-)
    Last edited by albertri; 12th February 2013 at 11:07 AM.
    <<<<<Hobo in Singapore >>>> View My 500px

I think the Germans that fought in WW2 are the children/grandchildren of the Germans that fought in WW1. If a country or person has a history of violent behaviour you need to be extra careful. Not passing any guilty verdict without any trial.

Yes... the German who fought in WWII are the children and/or grandchildren of those that fought during WWI... alot of them fought to wash away the shame of the Treaty of Versailles... they (those that fought WWII) were glad to revenge for their country... so, what are the Chinese in CHINA doing now ?? Taking 'revenge' also ?? How many died during China's invasion of Tibet ?? And is CHINA still not holding Tibetan territory as their own ?? How many Chinese died under Mao during the chaotic years of Mao's Great Leap Forward or The Cultural Revolution... Have the Chinese Govt admitted to their wrongdoing ?? Or have they house arrest writers talking about those horrible years... so, let NOT the pot, call the kettle black...

Btw... I'm a pure S'porean Chinese...

Treaty of Versailles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Battle of Chamdo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Great Leap Forward - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cultural Revolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    Japan must never again be aggressive on foreign soil

I would rather it be "Every Nation on Earth, must never again be aggressive on foreign soil"... and not just single out one or two country....
    Last edited by diver-hloc; 12th February 2013 at 11:35 AM.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by albertri View Post
    why are we so focused on Japan? coz they're the one who did harm to us before? how come we're not so with other countries who did even worst than Japan did last...
    We are talking about Japan becos this thread is about Phillipines backing the rearming of Japan. It is not about China, North Korea or Tasmania.

Unlike the Germans, the Japanese has not fully admitted their mistakes and are generally unrepentent. Not only are they rewriting history, they are even into rewriting their past apology.

We are talking about Japan becos this thread is about Phillipines backing the rearming of Japan. It is not about China, North Korea or Tasmania.

Unlike the Germans, the Japanese has not fully admitted their mistakes and are generally unrepentent. Not only are they rewriting history, they are even into rewriting their past apology.
    like I said before I am more worried China's ever growing power more worried when they can acquire nukes.... Sorry to say China still considered as communist so thier leader have absolute power...

I am not so worried of Japan as I also mentioned they have nukes and nuke technology long before any Asian countries have them why they didn't use those technology to create nuke weapons? and use against China or other asian countries? So to me being critical with Japan is really just us being angry at them c'mon guys let get over of the past I am not saying to forget about what they did but let's move on...

Why worry too much about Japan and not worrying other countries like China and N Korea? These two countries may be more dangerous than Japan I wont even trust them driving ferrari in SIngapore roads what more giving them war toys :-)
    Last edited by albertri; 12th February 2013 at 12:45 PM.

You will be very naive if you still habour the concept of the good guys and bad guys. Like those western cowboys and Indians shows. Friction.

UK, French, USA, just to name a few owns islands 1000 kilometers away from home. Worse, none of the inhabitants look anything like them or their forefathers.

Having said that, we must always remember the aggressors that kill many during the wars. History must not be forgotten and the generations that follow must remember them. Japan has done great harm during world war 2, the biggest crime is that they have yet to acknowledge it and ensure their generations will never repeat such crime. We must ensure their generation that has participated in this war are gone and the next generations learn the truth before we can relax.

What happen in world war 2 has nothing to do with the new Japanese generation. However, they must make to remember what their forefathers did. We don't know what is happening in Philippines. their politics, very often is different. what they say is never the truth but just to gain some political points.

While we should not interfere with other nation's affair, we want all Singaporeans to know what took place during world war 2.

They just pretend to forgive the japs.

Use the japs to delay first before they completely arm their tiny navy.

Pinoys easily forgive but do not forget.
    Last edited by nikoneer; 13th February 2013 at 01:21 AM.

Sigh.... I think the BIGGEST POTENTIAL THREAT is NORTH KOREA....

If we all can live in peace with one another, it is the best......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by albertri View Post
    like I said before I am more worried China's ever growing power more worried when they can acquire nukes...
    Just to clear the facts, China have nuclear weapons since 1964. That was 49 years ago.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

I met a young chinese from Nanjing in Germany. He was born after 1980. He told me there are many youths in China whose grandparents, parents gone through WW2 first hand. The jap resentment is still very strong even among the youths. I guess the brutality of massacre cannot be forgotten. What sets Japan and Germany apart is the latter has admitted to their atrocities while the former continues to deny their roles. So cannot be forgiven. This hatre can only brew stronger and the island dispute does provide an opportunity to start a war.

If ur primary school classmate slap you when young, you will still rem it when u r old. Not to mention having your love ones killed, tortured and insulted. China has reclaimed HK, Macau. Taiwan is almost there. What is stopping them from targeting Japan. They are just stroking and provoking the Jap. Any wrong move on the part of Jap will surely result in war. Phillipines openly backing Japan to rearm may have a catalytic effect on proceedings. Friend or foe, only they themselves know. My chinese friend even claim Singapore as part of China, cause our forefathers are from China.

The rise of China is indeed shaking things up in every way.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 14th February 2013 at 03:19 AM.

Just to clear the facts, China have nuclear weapons since 1964. That was 49 years ago.
    Then they are more dangerous than Japan so my statement still stand China is the one that we need to be worried of not Japan

Quote Originally Posted by albertri

Then they are more dangerous than Japan so my statement still stand China is the one that we need to be worried of not Japan
    We should watch every country in the world and I have said before, there is no good or bad guys out there. They have their own agendas!

If you look back at history, You will know who you should be watchful of, no need to guess. However, being able to defend your own country is ultimate. National Service is our duty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast