Thread: Car Shoot Location

Default Car Shoot Location

Dear all,

I've been hunting ard for a car shoot location for ages.

Would someone experienced please point this noobie to couple of interesting suggestions... I intend to shoot on a weekday morning with a model. So should pref be no one ard ... I very noobie, so very paiseh to shoot with people ard, esp with a model in tow.

common ones are ordinary ...

for example:

a) Marina South
    b) Mount Faber
    c) Yishun Dam

I like urban landscapes. Not the kinda of long windy roads type. Typical shoots I admire are from magazines like Superstreet And Sport Compact Cars. Currently I think I might be shooting at a container trailer carpark. Some interesting colours from the containers.

An example of my "non" skills is attached.

If you want ulu landscapes, then you can try Central Mall area, Duxton Hill area, Ann Siang Hill area.
    If you want nature, then all the reservoirs in Singapore all have a park nearby.
    If you want high tech, high class, then go to Shenton Way on Sunday morning, no traffic, no policeman, very few ppl walking around.

yah, kinda like to take this type of photo too... hard to set up? any advice?

vince123123
    Guests

hey you wanna do this car shoot together? I got a coupe which I wanna shoot too

Quote Originally Posted by chousei
    yah, kinda like to take this type of photo too... hard to set up? any advice?

hey, can i join? I've got one coupe too.....but dunno how to setup

Car shoots are usually very tricky. The most difficult is to get rid of your own reflection. Location is really up to you. I have seen 4WD Mitsubishi Pajeros shot in CityHall at 6.30-7.00am but with permission from Management.

Location you choose is vital but the timing is more important. Car shoots can be shot on different times but also depends on what kind of car too.

BMWs and Merc car saloons image are always sleek and elegent playing around with curvature and the lines of the cars.

Why not try Malaysia? I think there are more locations. Singapore landscapes are quite dead. Not much to choose from but before you even go and hunt for one, you should do a trial and error of yur car before even attempting to find a location. From what I can see, I can see all the reflection of your car......HBD and so on. Plus it's a black glossy car which makes it more tricky.

For moving effect, like what you see in car magazines are usually done plenty of times. The photographers are usually stationary at the back of the car. Usually they will drive a 4WD with open top or the back door is detached from the 4WD. Another way is PS......hehe!

chousei,
    This attempt of shot could be the photographer did a panning in another car. The car headlights was turn on and a ISO speed was use to. This is my only clue i can get from the shot. The position of the photographer could be anywhere......

chousei: this shot is not that difficult to do. My guess is that the shot was done in a car park. and travelling at a whopping.. 3(three) or 4 (four) km/h...

setup a tripod low on the floor. Use a long shutter speed like 3 seconds.
    drive the car real slowly(another driver, not you drive of course) and release the shutter, pan with the car. ISO and aperture will depend on ambient lighting and the kind of equipment you have. My guess is that this car has a few lamps shining on it. At least it looks like 1 front 1 rear (just nice the position of another car's headlights..)

Will take a few attempts and rehearsals to get the panning in sync with the car.

Can start with straights first then turns.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    chousei: this shot is not that difficult to do. My guess is that the shot was done in a car park. and travelling at a whopping.. 3(three) or 4 (four) km/h...

setup a tripod low on the floor. Use a long shutter speed like 3 seconds.
    drive the car real slowly(another driver, not you drive of course) and release the shutter, pan with the car. ISO and aperture will depend on ambient lighting and the kind of equipment you have. My guess is that this car has a few lamps shining on it. At least it looks like 1 front 1 rear (just nice the position of another car's headlights..)

Will take a few attempts and rehearsals to get the panning in sync with the car.

Can start with straights first then turns.
    wow 3 second you can panning and produce sharp?
    ubans.com

Hey.. how bout organising a car shoot? i loves cars... but not good at taking em esp getting rid of own reflection.. can cum out n exchange some pointers.. but big prob, i dun own a car.. sobzz.. how bout a car shoot ? any interested ?

Quote Originally Posted by xl1
    wow 3 second you can panning and produce sharp?
    wait for my post

need to dig out my pan head first.. fell in love with my ball head tot I would neve have to use the pan again..