Thread: Personal fav : Chinatown Pic 1

Default Personal fav : Chinatown Pic 1

In what area is the critique sought?
    Composition : Feedback on framing etc
    TEchnical quality : Settings, WB, and post processing advice to make it better.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    The colourful vibrance of an old school textile shop. And the very relaxed manner of the shopkeeper.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Early afternoon. Just after rain. Under shelter and white tube lights. No flash.
    Used Canon EOS 650D Lens: 50mm F1.8 Canon EF (RAW file)
    I did a bit of post processing. Adjusted exposure, Black levels and Saturation.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I love the colours. And the expression of the uncle's face.
    He's so calm, didn't even flinch when I took the photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91653848@N05/8455067118/

IMG_1458edit_1 by Norman Selvaraju, on Flickr
    Last edited by NormanSelvaraju; 9th February 2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Broken Link

Default Re: Personal fav : Chinatown Pic 1

composition is fine but it is slightly over exposed on the white and the reflection of light on the skin from hand.

since ur using a 1.8, make use of the bokeh cause it seems that the main subject isnt isolated enff

Paulboh87 >> Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'm still working on nailing the exposure on my photos. Shall have to work harder!
    About the bokeh.. I my aperture was at 1.8. ISO 100. shutter 1/10. Th focus was the uncle's face. I was about 5m away from him.
    Any idea why there isn't much bokeh?
    Or how I can make the subject more in focus like you have suggested I should?

1) Read up on DOF, if you are far away enough and your lens is focusing at infinity, then the subject and anything behind the subject will be in focus.
    2) Yes, the pic was over expose.
    3) No need to use ISO 100, you can step up your ISO and use a faster shutter speed, because I detected some motion blur, might be because it is very difficult to handle the camera very stably without shaking at 1/10sec at 50mm, for a starter, try 1/50sec.
    4) Also there really is no need to keep your subject sharp and everything else blurred in street photography. After all, you can PS when you go back home.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Paulboh87 >> Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'm still working on nailing the exposure on my photos. Shall have to work harder!
    About the bokeh.. I my aperture was at 1.8. ISO 100. shutter 1/10. Th focus was the uncle's face. I was about 5m away from him.
    1. Spot-meter for accurate exposure (and use exposure lock if needed)
    2. Depth of Field (technically not bokeh, it is 'bokeh effect' - according to Canon manual) works when the subject is far away from the background enough that the background becomes completely out of focus. here in your image the background is just a little further than uncle's face and not far away enough to be blurred into confused circles.

3. you may not necessarily need thin DOF for street. Shoot F8 for contextual image...if i am not wrong street is about personal interactions of subject with environment
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Rhino123 >> Haha.. yeah, I should have used a better shutter speed. I realized it only after I took the shot. But from the LCD preview of the image, I thought it was sharp enough. Wasted. Shall take note for future.
    As for DOF, yeah, just as Shizuma mentioned, I was wondering how to make the DOF narrower since the subject was so close to the background. And I was already on F1.8. I guess the only way is then to move closer to the subject.

Shizuma>> Yeah. Thanks! Shall try Different Apertures. I've been kinda bowled over by the very large aperture since I was only using the kit lens (18-55). I heard F4- F5.6 is the sweet spot for this 50mm lens. And I shall experiment with the F8 like you mentioned. See how sharp it gets. Oh and spot metering.. Right now I'm just on evaluative. haven't really figured out when to use what as yet. Still reading up... But thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by paulboh87 View Post
    composition is fine but it is slightly over exposed on the white and the reflection of light on the skin from hand.
    since ur using a 1.8, make use of the bokeh cause it seems that the main subject isnt isolated enff
    Tell us how you want to isolate a subject being so far from the lens and so close to the background. And please take note of the difference between subject isolation, Depth of Field and bokeh. The 50mm 1.8 is not known for bokeh ..
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Why this combination of ISO, aperture and shutter speed? Look carefully and you see a slight motion blur, either from your hands or from the uncle. ISO 400 would give you 1/50s with the same aperture, ISO 800 helps to stop down aperture to about 2.4 to 2.8. With a bit of -EV you would get rid of blown out highlights and still have a good picture. ISO 800 might bring a bit of noise, but nothing that your camera or any standard tool cannot handle.
    Why this idea of subject isolation? Do you want to have an uncle hovering in blur shapes and patterns? Or would an uncle sitting in his shop make more sense? Street photography (and that's what you are doing here, not a portrait) requires context. No point making everything else blur.
    Edit: after checking the 2048 size file it's obvious that the blurriness comes from handshake. 50mm and 1/10s shutter is far from the rule of thumb: shutter speed <= 1/[effective]focal length. With 50mm on Canon crop you should have 1/80s as minimum shutter speed to avoid handshake blur. After some kopi, 300m sprint or with angry looking uncle you might need to add some safety margin, though.
    Last edited by Octarine; 14th February 2013 at 03:30 AM.
    EOS

OCTARINE>> Haha. You are tight about the settings. I didn't choose the optimal settings for this one. Should have pumped up the ISO and the shutter like you mentioned. I think I was distracted by the scene an failed to check the settings.

As for the image isolation and bokeh in street photos, you have a good point. In this case, including the textiles certainly add more to the story than just isolating the uncle and trying to blur out the rest. I guess I got carried away trying to create the bokeh effect and lost sight of what I wanted to express. Thanks for the grounding Octarine.

And yeah, I'll factor in "angry gesturing uncle" in calculating appropriate shutter speed the next time. Haha. Thanks!