Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 141

Thread: Ask what you can do for your country?

  1. #121

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    Ask NOT whether Singapore really is the place for you. Rather Ask what you want YOUR Singapore TO BE.

    Don't be REACTIVE! rather, be PROACTIVE. Do something about it, in 3yrs time. LOL

    ... why 3 years?

  2. #122

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I must say I'm damn sick and tired of people saying that - as if you can only contribute to Singapore through an election.

    My god, why do people give their possible contributions such a low value, such that you can only make some contribution to YOUR homeland once every few years. Or are we just content to shove all the problems and issues into a group of people's hands (therefore discounting ourselves of having to do anything for any problem that we see around us) such that every single thing happening to Singapore is put into the hands of a hundred-odd people. If that's the case, then it's not hard to see where we're headed. Pay little, pay more; more accountability, less accountability; at the end of the day if everyone just pretends that it's not their problem and says "leave it to them, if we're not happy, we can change in a few year's time"... Then you're just going to change your clothes every few years, without anything having changed. Some problems are pervasive, and require a concentrated effort at multiple levels to solve. Policies are by nature going to be broad strokes. To sort out the details, there's where individuals as blocks of society and a country come in. And their role (at least I would like to think so) can going beyond being a piece of paper with a cross.
    ...forgive them. We have many people like them. It is just becos that are unhappy with some issues, they let their heart rule their head!

  3. #123

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
    I totally agree with you. I suppose everyone is against the white paper which was passed down earlier.

    To tackle the problem of influx foreigners, I believe Singaporeans must really have more babies.

    But really, don't think I afford more than 2.
    Not everybody is against the white paper. It is something unpopular but it has to be addressed.

  4. #124

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    I believe White Wolf has just given the answer that there is nothing much we could do. Sad. We have given the MANDATE.
    He said "...everyone is against the white paper....but it is still passed in Parliament.."
    So might hv to wait for a few years lor. Have to be patient lor. And hopefully it would be still in time lor. LOL
    ...why wait for a few years?

  5. #125

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    ........ let's see if we are that much prouder in 2030 ....... the government we have grown to appreciate is of the past ....... what we have in the present regime is an enterprise that is only concerned with monetary objectives ........ nothing more.
    ..we should why not? at least they tell the people and not hiding it.

  6. #126

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    ... well, there is always a Speaker's Corner ..... come this February 16, let's all do our part .......
    ... collecting political asset!

  7. #127

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Their system worked well within their polis of 10,000 people. And it still would work well within the GRC, SRC etc. - it gives the common people the opportunity for direct execution of democracy. But the system has been twisted and crooked, the ratio of seats in parliament does not reflect the actual votes.
    But it seems your leaders here have rather adopted the other form of government, which was suitable and accepted as well - in exceptional cases: tyranny.
    ... you are right! So U think that single is better than group... don't forget.. the majority which form 70%.. will these group get all the support..

    ... we a multi racial society.. we need the full representations from all!

  8. #128

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    I used to eat at one of the hawker center at AMK central, the big one next to MS color. There was this old lady on a wheelchair selling tissue paper.
    On a few occasions, when she approached me with 3 packets of tissue paper, i gave a $50 note and asked her to eat and then go home to rest. I did this, trying as best as i could, not to let others see it, by putting the note right into her hand. Nobody would hv any chance of taking any photo of this. LOL.

    I hate to bring this up in a public forum now, but just to give an example of what we could do to help without blowing trumpets.
    ... You have a big heart. However I will never do it. She has many places to go to ask for help. She will not leave for home but continue to come back to you as it is easy money! Sorry to say that. Check and tell us if she is still around? By the way, she maybe a foreinger!

  9. #129
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    As leader, you must be prepared to accept feedback, no difference with government. No system is perfect nor it is designed to meet everybody needs. If a leader thinks there is no problem, then there is nothing to correct since they didn't recognise the problem.

    Whether the leader sees it as a problem or not, the majority of the people wish has to be addressed. It is difficult to make comparison with other countries without fully understanding their situation and can be unique in nature.

    TS started a very general question. Yes we as part of the country must contribute and many have done so. We look upon our leaders and we have expectations since they have made promises. When things didn't turn up to expectations, questions are expected. I am sure the leaders are not expecting solutions from the people but asking for patience while they think over them.

  10. #130

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    What tax are you talking about?

    Dubai has no income tax.
    ... Thank for the info..

    ...everybody should go there!

  11. #131

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Try Brunei, they dont tax individuals. There's no income tax, capital gains tax etc... Good luck.
    .. thank for the info.. but how to join them?

  12. #132

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    What can I do for my country if I lost my job to a foreigner?

    Indian govt officials "irked" by Singapore govt not giving preferential treatment for Indian nationals in job market as agreed in bilateral economic pact.

    "According to Indian officials involved in the negotiations, this is a violation of the services trade agreement under CECA. This will also adversely affect Indians who are working there as it might lead to job losses, especially for the middle level workers."

    Link to article
    Govt decries CECA violation by Singapore | Business Standard
    Poor Man With Expensive Hobby

  13. #133
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,797
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by alf6901 View Post
    What can I do for my country if I lost my job to a foreigner?

    Indian govt officials "irked" by Singapore govt not giving preferential treatment for Indian nationals in job market as agreed in bilateral economic pact.

    "According to Indian officials involved in the negotiations, this is a violation of the services trade agreement under CECA. This will also adversely affect Indians who are working there as it might lead to job losses, especially for the middle level workers."

    Link to article
    Govt decries CECA violation by Singapore | Business Standard
    As far as I know some of these Indian FTs are paid quite handsomely here. Surely they do not wish to be embroiled in these squabbles between officials.
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  14. #134

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by alf6901 View Post
    What can I do for my country if I lost my job to a foreigner?

    Indian govt officials "irked" by Singapore govt not giving preferential treatment for Indian nationals in job market as agreed in bilateral economic pact.

    "According to Indian officials involved in the negotiations, this is a violation of the services trade agreement under CECA. This will also adversely affect Indians who are working there as it might lead to job losses, especially for the middle level workers."

    Link to article
    Govt decries CECA violation by Singapore | Business Standard
    I was affected by 2 retrenchments.. one foreign and local company.

    Many factors can contribue to a replacement. Basically they are attitude and skill. All the companies in Singapore value Singaporean who are skillful and who has positive atttitude. Would you as a boss replace them?

  15. #135
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    I was affected by 2 retrenchments.. one foreign and local company.

    Many factors can contribue to a replacement. Basically they are attitude and skill. All the companies in Singapore value Singaporean who are skillful and who has positive atttitude. Would you as a boss replace them?
    So sorry to hear of your experiences. Why are we experiencing so many such 'restructuring' since the 70 and more in the 2000? While such practices elsewhere come with adequate compensations, I am not sure we enjoy the same here, have you?

    The other more important fact is, when a company 'restructure', did they hire new staff or really downsized? If they are recruiting even after letting go existing staff, anyone taking them to task? I remember in the early 70, a semi conductor company is famous for retrenching staff when production is down. (however, it is true there was an recession). When economy picks up, they have trouble recruiting people. Now people has accepted the fact that you can lose you job anytime. So how can one expect the same loyalty from staff?

  16. #136

    Default

    In today's job market there is no such thing as loyalty to a company. I would like to be loyal but my company is busy thinking of getting rid of the old and bring in the cheaper young one. The older you become the higher risk of lossing your job. Thanks to the useless union and country policy which does not protect the worker. Pregnant woman also face the high chance of getting the sack. If the country wants more babies then be serious about it and solve all this problem. We had done a lot for the country by keeping silent, work our ass out while being exploited by our employer in order for the country to grow. What more can we do ? Work for free? Or is the what you can do for your country a reminder to keep our mouth shut and continue to be exploited by our bosses and Govt.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

  17. #137

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    They are helping us to retire at 65 legally. Soon they will raise to 67. That would require company to continually hire us till we retire or die.

  18. #138

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by airfins View Post
    In today's job market there is no such thing as loyalty to a company. I would like to be loyal but my company is busy thinking of getting rid of the old and bring in the cheaper young one. The older you become the higher risk of lossing your job. Thanks to the useless union and country policy which does not protect the worker. Pregnant woman also face the high chance of getting the sack. If the country wants more babies then be serious about it and solve all this problem. We had done a lot for the country by keeping silent, work our ass out while being exploited by our employer in order for the country to grow. What more can we do ? Work for free? Or is the what you can do for your country a reminder to keep our mouth shut and continue to be exploited by our bosses and Govt.
    Your company has to hv the morale obiligation to look after you. It has nothing to do with the foreigner or the policy. Ask your self, if you were the boss what would you do? The bottom line or otherwise. The company decides. The govt cannot force a company to not to re-structure or downsize. By doing so, nobody would want to invest in Singapore. Thus more people will be out of job.

    It is happening around the world. UK, USA, Japan and many others are doing it.

    Agreed?

  19. #139

    Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

    .....I was talking to a head hunter this morning and I asked him the attributes an employer would want to have when engaging a person.

    ....He mentioned: positive attitude, skillful, integrity. Money is the last in their minds.

    .. if you are productive e.g. you can do the job of 2 or more persons, the company is more than willing to have you!

    Ask yourself.. are you productive? Are you an asset or liability to the company?

  20. #140
    Senior Member Halfmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Singapore.
    Posts
    4,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    .....I was talking to a head hunter this morning and I asked him the attributes an employer would want to have when engaging a person.

    ....He mentioned: positive attitude, skillful, integrity. Money is the last in their minds.

    .. if you are productive e.g. you can do the job of 2 or more persons, the company is more than willing to have you!

    Ask yourself.. are you productive? Are you an asset or liability to the company?
    But they are paying only one salary???

    Exploitation of employees???
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •