Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask what you can do for your country?

Default Re: Ask what you can do for your country?

i would say..

vote not with the idea of "change" in your heart, but wisdom.

if you blindly follow the emotionally charged, they will lead you with their own heart, but blind eyes. (remember the Great March of Mao Zedong? people blindly followed and see what happened to their economy in the 50s and 60s)

when you think about it, yes the people do matter.

but ultimately, the party who you vote in, will decide Singapore's standing on the global stage. don't forget, we're just one country, but whatever happens here, will also have impact on how other countries deal with us.

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    You are absolutely right. These non Singapore core ppl would turn their back against us. Hence we should deter it or in other words prevent it.

Fertility problem is not addressed. They simply craft a different route around it.

The white paper is passed. Those belong to their camp sing hurray. While those not support of the white paper have to accept it. You can't win with such majority in the house.
    stop dreaming... you do know that we have non-Singaporeans here in this forum too right? you would be wise not to label them as traitors

But we also accept that without the new immigrant then Singapore would be plagued with old ppl. Stagnant economy Their failure to address t he fertility is the problem and bringing in foreigner is not

Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post

Don't be REACTIVE! rather, be PROACTIVE. Do something about it, in 3yrs time. LOL
    I must say I'm damn sick and tired of people saying that - as if you can only contribute to Singapore through an election.

My god, why do people give their possible contributions such a low value, such that you can only make some contribution to YOUR homeland once every few years. Or are we just content to shove all the problems and issues into a group of people's hands (therefore discounting ourselves of having to do anything for any problem that we see around us) such that every single thing happening to Singapore is put into the hands of a hundred-odd people. If that's the case, then it's not hard to see where we're headed. Pay little, pay more; more accountability, less accountability; at the end of the day if everyone just pretends that it's not their problem and says "leave it to them, if we're not happy, we can change in a few year's time"... Then you're just going to change your clothes every few years, without anything having changed. Some problems are pervasive, and require a concentrated effort at multiple levels to solve. Policies are by nature going to be broad strokes. To sort out the details, there's where individuals as blocks of society and a country come in. And their role (at least I would like to think so) can going beyond being a piece of paper with a cross.
    Last edited by edutilos-; 12th February 2013 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-

I must say I'm damn sick and tired of people saying that - as if you can only contribute to Singapore through an election.

My god, why do people give their possible contributions such a low value, such that you can only make some contribution to YOUR homeland once every few years. Or are we just content to shove all the problems and issues into a group of people's hands (therefore discounting ourselves of having to do anything for any problem that we see around us) such that every single thing happening to Singapore is put into the hands of a hundred-odd people. If that's the case, then it's not hard to see where we're headed. Pay little, pay more; more accountability, less accountability; at the end of the day if everyone just pretends that it's not their problem and says "leave it to them, if we're not happy, we can change in a few year's time"... Then you're just going to change your clothes every few years, without anything having changed. Some problems are pervasive, and require a concentrated effort at multiple levels to solve. Policies are by nature going to be broad strokes. To sort out the details, there's where individuals as blocks of society and a country come in. And their role (at least I would like to think so) can going beyond being a piece of paper with a cross.
    I totally agree with you. I suppose everyone is against the white paper which was passed down earlier.

To tackle the problem of influx foreigners, I believe Singaporeans must really have more babies.

But really, don't think I afford more than 2.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309
    i would say. if you blindly follow the emotionally charged, they will lead you with their own heart, but blind eyes. (remember the Great March of Mao Zedong? people blindly followed and see what happened to their economy in the 50s and 60s.
    I am no historian or a communist but I personally feel that without Mao Zedong, China will never be today's China but more like India. With its rich history and civilization over the centuries, the gaps and backlogs are impossible to clear. He Alt, Ctl, delete the country.

Of course like everyone else, he makes many mistakes among the right things. So, we should look at things both sides. Let's also appreciate our government good works.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post

I believe White Wolf has just given the answer that there is nothing much we could do. Sad. We have given the MANDATE.
    He said "...everyone is against the white paper....but it is still passed in Parliament.."
    So might hv to wait for a few years lor. Have to be patient lor. And hopefully it would be still in time lor. LOL
    Last edited by d2xpeter; 12th February 2013 at 08:44 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    He Alt, Ctl, delete the country.
    well said. sometimes difficult to please everyone....understandable. But on the whole, cannot be too much at the expense of our own people mah. right?

I am no historian or a communist but I personally feel that without Mao Zedong, China will never be today's China but more like India. With its rich history and civilization over the centuries, the gaps and backlogs are impossible to clear. He Alt, Ctl, delete the country.

Of course like everyone else, he makes many mistakes among the right things. So, we should look at things both sides. Let's also appreciate our government good works.
    Generally, I believe every Singaporean do realise and appreciate what our government has achieved so far. On the other hand, even the best ruler or system needs to have its own appropriate time and purpose.

I believe White Wolf has just given the answer that there is nothing much we could do. Sad. We have given the MANDATE.
    He said "...everyone is against the white paper....but it is still passed in Parliament.."
    So might hv to wait for a few years lor. Have to be patient lor. And hopefully it would be still in time lor. LOL
    Not everybody is against the white paper.

The challenges are surfaced earlier and they are something very real.

By 2030 it will be 1.2 if nothing is done. We need time to react and by planning ahead we can to solve the problems more effectively.

No policy can please everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by revslide View Post
    Generally, I believe every Singaporean do realise and appreciate what our government has achieved so far. On the other hand, even the best ruler or system needs to have its own appropriate time and purpose.
    We are lucky to have the current govt and they have propelled to what we are today!

We are proud to be a Singaporean. ARE WE NOT?

I just want to say that Mao Zedong managed to kill more Chinese with his Great Leap Forward than the whole of World War 2 or the Japanese. It is not just a mistake and those starving to death would have preferred to live anywhere else, however backward or backlogged. Again such a thing is only possible with a national network of "yes" man.

Great Leap Forward - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    World War II casualties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    We are lucky to have the current govt and they have propelled to what we are today!

We are proud to be a Singaporean. ARE WE NOT?
    ........ let's see if we are that much prouder in 2030 ....... the government we have grown to appreciate is of the past ....... what we have in the present regime is an enterprise that is only concerned with monetary objectives ........ nothing more.
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post

... well, there is always a Speaker's Corner ..... come this February 16, let's all do our part .......
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    ... well, there is always a Speaker's Corner ..... come this February 16, let's all do our part .......
    There are problems to which any individual can contribute a little bit of time and effort to (not even talking about money) beyond one population target for 2030. Some are immediate. I don't discount any efforts to express one's opinion on governmental policy, but like I've said already, there's so much to do that need not wait for 16 Feb or 2016 or one particular date. Why wait? Today is a good day as any, if you have the heart and will. Cheers.

Deregistered

so what shall we do TODAY?

I hv the heart and will, must really start to think hard what to do every each day from now.
    thanks for the inspiration. Reminds me of the "chopstick" story. The contribution of each chopstick, in unison, would give tremendous strength

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    no political system is ultimately correct.
    ask the greeks. look where their democracy has brought them
    Their system worked well within their polis of 10,000 people. And it still would work well within the GRC, SRC etc. - it gives the common people the opportunity for direct execution of democracy. But the system has been twisted and crooked, the ratio of seats in parliament does not reflect the actual votes.
    But it seems your leaders here have rather adopted the other form of government, which was suitable and accepted as well - in exceptional cases: tyranny.
    EOS

Blog Entries

so what shall we do TODAY?

I hv the heart and will, must really start to think hard what to do every each day from now.
    thanks for the inspiration. Reminds me of the "chopstick" story. The contribution of each chopstick, in unison, would give tremendous strength
    You can start by doing some social work. Helping the people who are less fortunate and left behind by the system.

Do some positive work, and work harder for a change.

Sure beats the hell out of sitting in front of the computer and bitching about everything under the sun, and blaming everyone and questioning everything.

Time to man up, and do some good for a change.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    You can start by doing some social work. Helping the people who are less fortunate and left behind by the system.

Do some positive work, and work harder for a change.

Sure beats the hell out of sitting in front of the computer and bitching about everything under the sun, and blaming everyone and questioning everything.

Time to man up, and do some good for a change.
    I used to eat at one of the hawker center at AMK central, the big one next to MS color. There was this old lady on a wheelchair selling tissue paper.
    On a few occasions, when she approached me with 3 packets of tissue paper, i gave a $50 note and asked her to eat and then go home to rest. I did this, trying as best as i could, not to let others see it, by putting the note right into her hand. Nobody would hv any chance of taking any photo of this. LOL.

I hate to bring this up in a public forum now, but just to give an example of what we could do to help without blowing trumpets.

Deregistered

seldom see her nowadays when i eat there.....wonder what has happened to her.....sad.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast