Thread: Kodachrome colour slides

Default Kodachrome colour slides

Hi,
    I recently acquired a number of Kodachrome colour slides from the 1950s. Unfortunately a lot of them are fungus infested. Kodak Singapore does not have a slide cleaning service here. Can anyone recommend any DIY method without damaging the images ?
    Much appreciated.

Go to Cathay Photo and ask, they should have some recommendation. I am not sure how as I am still very new in slides.

new slides or already exposed slides??

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    new slides or already exposed slides??
    Thanks for the reply. Slides already exposed. Contains images of Singapore scenery from the 1950s. Images appear to be OK on the slide viewer.

IT Guy (Chris right ?), thanks as well. Will check with CP over the weekend.

fungus infested Kodachrome transperency film of old singapore should be very interesting to look at via a slide projector.

You can clean off some of it by using Kodak Film Cleaner but it will not clean off fungus that has already "eaten" into the emulsion layer.

Best to have them scanned with digital ICE and PS corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by magicdragon
    fungus infested Kodachrome transperency film of old singapore should be very interesting to look at via a slide projector.

You can clean off some of it by using Kodak Film Cleaner but it will not clean off fungus that has already "eaten" into the emulsion layer.

Best to have them scanned with digital ICE and PS corrected.
    Thanks Magicdragon.
    Luckily they came with quite a number of old Bangkok slides to experiment with first. I haven't tried viewing them with our modern projector for fear of the heat damaging them. Will let you know the results.
    Regards.

Modern projectors will not damage a colour reversal film - esp one like kodachrome - didnt you know it's archive quality film? :-)

Frankly the fungus pattern can add charm to landscape shots lol.