Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

  1. #1

    Default difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    hi need some advises here, couldnt find any thread regarding this.

    i took a spot with the same settings, shutter speed, aperture with oly 17mm f2.8 and a pana 14-45mm f3.5.
    the oly lens turn out to be more over exposure than the pana under the same settings.
    is it due to the specs of the lens? or i just have to play ard with e shutter speed to compensate?
    on top of tt i drop e oly lens from knee level, it does worrry me alittle.

  2. #2
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackdevil8911 View Post
    hi need some advises here, couldnt find any thread regarding this.

    i took a spot with the same settings, shutter speed, aperture with oly 17mm f2.8 and a pana 14-45mm f3.5.
    the oly lens turn out to be more over exposure than the pana under the same settings.
    is it due to the specs of the lens? or i just have to play ard with e shutter speed to compensate?
    on top of tt i drop e oly lens from knee level, it does worrry me alittle.
    Did u turn off auto iso?

  3. #3

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    What focal length, what metering, what aperture, Auto ISO on or off?
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    Focal length at 17mm
    f4.0.
    ISO set at 250.
    Metering at ESP.

  5. #5

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    are u in manual mode? you fixed all the above settings, and then took the shot using the 2 lens?
    if so, then its right. because the f2.8 lens lets in more light, thus overexposed.

  6. #6

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by sw99x View Post
    are u in manual mode? you fixed all the above settings, and then took the shot using the 2 lens?
    if so, then its right. because the f2.8 lens lets in more light, thus overexposed.
    Yup, manual mode.setted everythin n shoot e same spot. Oh icic.. Tts just ease my worries =)

  7. #7
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by sw99x View Post
    are u in manual mode? you fixed all the above settings, and then took the shot using the 2 lens?
    if so, then its right. because the f2.8 lens lets in more light, thus overexposed.
    This doesn't seem right.

    The f/2.8 lens lets in more light at f/2.8.

    But he set both lenses at f/4.0.

    Suggest TS post the two photographs with EXIF intact.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sw99x View Post
    are u in manual mode? you fixed all the above settings, and then took the shot using the 2 lens?
    if so, then its right. because the f2.8 lens lets in more light, thus overexposed.
    Definitely not right if both lenses are set to f/4. Then it should be identical
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    Shutter 1/5sec
    Focal Length 17mm
    Aperture F4.0
    ISO 250
    White balance Auto


    Taken from Oly 17mm F2.8


    Pana 14mm-35mm F3.5



    looks identical after posting online though.. from the camera & window looks different
    Last edited by blackdevil8911; 4th February 2013 at 03:01 PM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Probably an issue of same f value but different t value? After all, one is a zoom lens with more elements. Coating also affects.

    Also could be flare (or lack of it) issue due to lens design.

    But in any case, not a deal breaker right?
    hi

  11. #11
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackdevil8911 View Post
    Shutter 1/5sec
    Focal Length 17mm
    Aperture F4.0
    ISO 250
    White balance Auto

    Taken from Oly 17mm F2.8

    Pana 14mm-35mm F3.5

    looks identical after posting online though.. from the camera & window looks different
    Looks like a very small difference on my screen. There is a difference, the pana is darker, but very slight.

  12. #12

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    Shoot with different Aperture should show different results if you worry Aperture malfunction.

    Other than that, it's external factors, e.g. add-on filter(s)

  13. #13

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    Yes, e background is slightly darker from e pana.

    Splim, so a filter might be able to solve the glare?? N what abt e aperture? I shld try other aperture?

  14. #14

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by blackdevil8911 View Post
    Yes, e background is slightly darker from e pana.

    Splim, so a filter might be able to solve the glare?? N what abt e aperture? I shld try other aperture?
    If there's a filter on the 14-45mm, your photo will be darker if it reflect off too much light, most likely from cheap filter.

    Aperture means if you worry it's not working correctly, shoot from F2.8, 3.1, 3.5. to F22, you should see the different from each setting.


    Your lens should be ok but your test result could be cause of:
    - Inferior filter(s) fitted on the lens, removed them.
    - Shooting with sun light, you should know sun lights are not consistent when cloud passed by.

  15. #15

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    Might be the difference in T-stop. (ie. how much light is loss in transmission passing thru the elements and design).
    F-stop is just a function of focal length and aperture diameter.
    Could also be design/test tolerances.

  16. #16
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    Actually... I don't see too much of a difference. Do note that both lenses shared different

    1) Optic elements and element manufacturing
    2) Coating
    3) Manufacturing tolerance.

    Do note that even with the same lens but different copy, you might also achieve very little differences between both lenses... so there really is nothing to worry about. Just know the characteristic of your lenses and adjust accordingly.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  17. #17
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    It's not that different to be alarming. Just relax and enjoy your photography... No need to spend too much time comparing output unless it affects your shooting.

  18. #18

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    It's not that different to be alarming. Just relax and enjoy your photography... No need to spend too much time comparing output unless it affects your shooting.
    +1
    Not big enough a diff, to matter.
    Both are not the most expensive/notable of lenses in the m4/3 stable to loose hair over.

    Just compose and take photos with them as what you've done so far

  19. #19

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    It's not that different to be alarming. Just relax and enjoy your photography... No need to spend too much time comparing output unless it affects your shooting.
    +1
    Not big enough a diff, to matter.
    Both are not the most expensive/notable of lenses in the m4/3 stable to loose hair over.

    Just compose and take photos with them as what you've done so far

  20. #20

    Default Re: difference in exposure btw 2 lenses

    thanks for all e advises =))

    been playing around with the settings. however i notice the ghosting gets worst when i set e apenture higher.
    other than tt everything is fine intially i tot was the drop tt cause the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •