Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Difference between Code 1 and Code 3 DVDs?

  1. #1
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Difference between Code 1 and Code 3 DVDs?

    Hi to all.

    I'm curious about the two. Other than the obvious, what is/are the difference(s) btween the two?

    You guys know of any other places, online that is where I can get cheaper yet original DVDs? Other than Amazon?

    TIA!

  2. #2

    Default

    on paper not much diff. code 1 for US market, code 3 for SEA. reality is different. some of the code 3 quality is questionable. i have encountered more code 3 discs with missing audio and frame skipping than code 1 discs. presumably due to censorship and re-mastering for SEA region.

  3. #3

    Default

    Actually film buffs and movie collectors will tell you that generally the film transfer to DVD on code 1 is usually better most of the time (90% of the time). Ditto for sound quality.

    thats all i know i wish all my stuff are code 1s but in sing ..... very very ex! *&@^&^*&!^@!

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    Hi to all.

    I'm curious about the two. Other than the obvious, what is/are the difference(s) btween the two?

    You guys know of any other places, online that is where I can get cheaper yet original DVDs? Other than Amazon?

    TIA!

  4. #4

    Default

    Not sure how true cos I've never owned a code 1 DVD but I've checked with
    the DVD seller before and got to know that code 1 is usually from the US,
    uncensored version. Whereas code 3 is the censored version.

    The price diff between the 2 codes is a lot.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Code 1 have few versions as well, like US or Canada, Canada might have extra audio track like Spanish or French...

    sometimes buying Code 1 also not better than Code 3, cos movies from Disney or those general contents kind, Code 3 is alot cheaper than Code 1, the inside is the same... but sometimes Code 1 have better looking covers... like the Finding Nemo, code 1 have hologram like cover, Code 3 like foto copy the Code 1 cover... look very pirated...

    den movies like Taxi 1 & 2 does not have english subtitles for code 1 release, whereas code 3 have them in chinese & english subs.

    all depends on preference... i prefer all in code 1... even thou both the same...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Region 1 DVDs normally have much more extras (Sometimes 2 disc version) than region 2 or 3 versions. The packaging and presentation is also better in most cases.

    Extras could be an additional DTS track! They might contain hidden extras known as 'cookies' too.

    You can buy Region 1 DVDs from www.thunderdvd.com Their selection is big! But dunno if cheaper than Amazion.
    For Region 4, try www.ezydvd.com.au But you can get these in SG these days.

    I bought from both sites before and they are quite good.
    For movies you like and will like to keep a collection, buy region 1 DVDs.
    For other general movies, just buy region 2/3/4 lor. Cheaper mah.

    Halve of my DVD collection is in region 1. The others are 2, 3 and 4. Did not buy DVDs for a long long time liao.
    Last edited by afbug; 21st March 2005 at 03:05 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    997

    Default

    I found that DVDs are a lot cheaper in US then here, why ?
    We pay more but we get less

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Region 1 DVDs normally have much more extras (Sometimes 2 disc version) than region 2 or 3 versions. The packaging and presentation is also better in most cases.

    Extras could be an additional DTS track! They might contain hidden extras known as 'cookies' too.

    You can buy Region 1 DVDs from www.thunderdvd.com Their selection is big! But dunno if cheaper than Amazion.
    For Region 4, try www.ezydvd.com.au But you can get these in SG these days.

    I bought from both sites before and they are quite good.
    For movies you like and will like to keep a collection, buy region 1 DVDs.
    For other general movies, just buy region 2/3/4 lor. Cheaper mah.

    Halve of my DVD collection is in region 1. The others are 2, 3 and 4. Did not buy DVDs for a long long time liao.
    best would be to get the Region 2 Jap dvds... best packaging of all... but super duper expensive... only buy those jap animation or movies that i like then i get...

    btw its not 'cookies' its called easter eggs...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    best would be to get the Region 2 Jap dvds... best packaging of all... but super duper expensive... only buy those jap animation or movies that i like then i get...

    btw its not 'cookies' its called easter eggs...
    Ah yes! Easter eggs! There is a site regarding how to get them but i forgot the site address liao. It had been sometime since i was into DVDs.

  10. #10

    Default

    movies with lots of violence (e.g. Saving Private Ryan, etc) or with passionate sexy scenes are really worth buying for Code 1 release, movie censorship for code 1 (US) are more open minded than asian release. DVD collectors will also prefer code 1 due to its nice presentations and lots of bonus/extra contents.
    Last edited by Pinoy_SAP; 21st March 2005 at 04:08 PM.

  11. #11
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default

    Wow!

    You guys really know alot! Thanks!

    Keep them coming!
    Last edited by Adam Goi; 21st March 2005 at 09:18 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •