Thread: Difference between Code 1 and Code 3 DVDs?

Default Difference between Code 1 and Code 3 DVDs?

Hi to all.

I'm curious about the two. Other than the obvious, what is/are the difference(s) btween the two?

You guys know of any other places, online that is where I can get cheaper yet original DVDs? Other than Amazon?

TIA!

on paper not much diff. code 1 for US market, code 3 for SEA. reality is different. some of the code 3 quality is questionable. i have encountered more code 3 discs with missing audio and frame skipping than code 1 discs. presumably due to censorship and re-mastering for SEA region.

Actually film buffs and movie collectors will tell you that generally the film transfer to DVD on code 1 is usually better most of the time (90% of the time). Ditto for sound quality.

thats all i know i wish all my stuff are code 1s but in sing ..... very very ex! *&@^&^*&!^@!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Goi
    Hi to all.

I'm curious about the two. Other than the obvious, what is/are the difference(s) btween the two?

You guys know of any other places, online that is where I can get cheaper yet original DVDs? Other than Amazon?

TIA!

Not sure how true cos I've never owned a code 1 DVD but I've checked with
    the DVD seller before and got to know that code 1 is usually from the US,
    uncensored version. Whereas code 3 is the censored version.

The price diff between the 2 codes is a lot.

Code 1 have few versions as well, like US or Canada, Canada might have extra audio track like Spanish or French...

sometimes buying Code 1 also not better than Code 3, cos movies from Disney or those general contents kind, Code 3 is alot cheaper than Code 1, the inside is the same... but sometimes Code 1 have better looking covers... like the Finding Nemo, code 1 have hologram like cover, Code 3 like foto copy the Code 1 cover... look very pirated...

den movies like Taxi 1 & 2 does not have english subtitles for code 1 release, whereas code 3 have them in chinese & english subs.

all depends on preference... i prefer all in code 1... even thou both the same...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Region 1 DVDs normally have much more extras (Sometimes 2 disc version) than region 2 or 3 versions. The packaging and presentation is also better in most cases.

Extras could be an additional DTS track! They might contain hidden extras known as 'cookies' too.

You can buy Region 1 DVDs from www.thunderdvd.com Their selection is big! But dunno if cheaper than Amazion.
    For Region 4, try www.ezydvd.com.au But you can get these in SG these days.

I bought from both sites before and they are quite good.
    For movies you like and will like to keep a collection, buy region 1 DVDs.
    For other general movies, just buy region 2/3/4 lor. Cheaper mah.

Halve of my DVD collection is in region 1. The others are 2, 3 and 4. Did not buy DVDs for a long long time liao.
    Last edited by afbug; 21st March 2005 at 03:05 PM.

I found that DVDs are a lot cheaper in US then here, why ?
    We pay more but we get less

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Region 1 DVDs normally have much more extras (Sometimes 2 disc version) than region 2 or 3 versions. The packaging and presentation is also better in most cases.

Extras could be an additional DTS track! They might contain hidden extras known as 'cookies' too.

You can buy Region 1 DVDs from www.thunderdvd.com Their selection is big! But dunno if cheaper than Amazion.
    For Region 4, try www.ezydvd.com.au But you can get these in SG these days.

I bought from both sites before and they are quite good.
    For movies you like and will like to keep a collection, buy region 1 DVDs.
    For other general movies, just buy region 2/3/4 lor. Cheaper mah.

Halve of my DVD collection is in region 1. The others are 2, 3 and 4. Did not buy DVDs for a long long time liao.
    best would be to get the Region 2 Jap dvds... best packaging of all... but super duper expensive... only buy those jap animation or movies that i like then i get...

btw its not 'cookies' its called easter eggs...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    best would be to get the Region 2 Jap dvds... best packaging of all... but super duper expensive... only buy those jap animation or movies that i like then i get...

btw its not 'cookies' its called easter eggs...
    Ah yes! Easter eggs! There is a site regarding how to get them but i forgot the site address liao. It had been sometime since i was into DVDs.

movies with lots of violence (e.g. Saving Private Ryan, etc) or with passionate sexy scenes are really worth buying for Code 1 release, movie censorship for code 1 (US) are more open minded than asian release. DVD collectors will also prefer code 1 due to its nice presentations and lots of bonus/extra contents.
    Last edited by Pinoy_SAP; 21st March 2005 at 04:08 PM.

Wow!

You guys really know alot! Thanks!

Keep them coming!
    Last edited by Adam Goi; 21st March 2005 at 09:18 PM.