Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast

Thread: Singapore population to hit 6.9million by 2030

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants

There are loads of people wanting to get into Singapore. Once the floodgate is opened, there is no way to cry over spilled milk. Also u think our garment will waste time on white paper if they are not going to fill up that projected number?
    They need lots of construction workers immediately. Singaporeans want their flats but don't want to carry cement. What to do?

Some how this 6.9 million has got many confused, even from the originator. When you says population of 6.9 million, I would consider this number as citizen or PR living here permanently.

What got to do with construction works, maids or even those on renewable passes? If you include them, daily we have hundreds of thousands Malaysian coming into singapore.

So today 4 or 5 million is what?

Default Re: Singapore population to hit 6.9million by 2030

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Some how this 6.9 million has got many confused, even from the originator. When you says population of 6.9 million, I would consider this number as citizen or PR living here permanently.

What got to do with construction works, maids or even those on renewable passes? If you include them, daily we have hundreds of thousands Malaysian coming into singapore.

Malaysian? well they are the only group out of those that has the benefit of going home at the end of the working day. they are by far the most effective earner in sinapore. earn 2.5times here, and spend less than 1 at home.

I believe that if carry cement can feed the families well, many would jump in. Imagine after carry cement for whole day u still have a second job waiting just so that you could get milk by our system in order to meet end, would u still take the job.
    When our leader is getting the best $ in the world for their job, why r we not getting the best $ for the same job comparing to many country. This simply don't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    They need lots of construction workers immediately. Singaporeans want their flats but don't want to carry cement. What to do?

Somehow I am lost in this debate and what Khaw said. Those blue collar con workers surely are not under PR but work permits. However, I do know there are lots of civil engr, drafters, qualitative surveyor, ME and EE, etc from foreign countries. I dont think Sg will shun these jobs if the wages is decent.

You see there are some companies that cry wolf ,say they need foreign workers. The reality is they are making huge profits and given a choice, of course hire cheaper options.
    Last edited by ManWearPants; 8th February 2013 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants

Somehow I am lost in this debate and what Khaw said. Those blue collar con workers surely are not under PR but work permits. However, I do know there are lots of civil engr, drafters, qualitative surveyor, ME and EE, etc from foreign countries. I dont think Sg will shun these jobs if the wages is decent.
    Businesses and the government is saying if do this cost will skyrocket. In other words, manpower must be abundant, productive and cheap.

Majority of Singaporeans are fine with FWs, is the PMET FTs Singaporeans are concerned with.

Before 2000, it was only the brightest FTs that was taken in but now every Chapalang Tom, Dick, Henry with less than desirable certifications and questionable resume gets excepted. You go try interviewing some of these people for a job opening, really can vomit blood.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 8th February 2013 at 11:45 AM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

On import for labour work and not white collar job unless they are really that talented. Singapore have to control the price of education, food and basic necessity. My milk powder just went up $9 because of new packaging

Maid in Singapore have more power then employer here sign contract but can quit any time. I just lose the agent fee again and mind you it's not cheap $500-$1200 they charge you and $3000-4000 to the new maid in SIN.

How to have more babies? Both parents need to work and if you lucky combine income $4-5K do the math and see how much you are left with to save for retirement and children education.

If I were to live with by not having Internet, cable TV, cheap hobbies and have to on $5 meals per day, no shopping (only buy for children) etc I don't see the motivating factors of having children. The Cons over weights the pros. The joy of seeing your children grow up will only last till either 12,16 or 21 yrs old but the burden you carried will last till you kapoo.

What they want is us having more children so they can pay more taxes to support the old folks. You starts paying GST 7% now and 10% later once you get pregnant (medical and Baby stuff) so the new citizen contribute to taxes before they are born till after they die. (coffin and funeral services)

Like what I said before adding more citizens now will need you to have even more later to support them, then when can we stop? Look at Hong Kong now and you will know what we will become, high prices and over crowding (everyday there is like our China town during CNY with so many people, mind you they still have mountains and greens which is what we can't afford)

Good Luck Singapore, I won't be there to see it but I pity our children who will be the 1st generation to deal with that.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post

Yes, 6.9 million will be citizens in due time. The population of Singapore as at 2011 was 5.18 million.
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

Fujifilm X-Pro2 Graphite, X-Pro1
    XF 14/2.8, 18/2, 23/2, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 60/2.4, 55-200/3.5-4.8

Blog Entries

I don't think you need to carry cement much in the construction industry nowadays. Yes, Singaporeans want more flats because the government want us to have more babies. It's a chicken and egg problem. Public housing has to be provided by the Government because they are the biggest landlord in the country. They determine the supply and demand of flats, and the price trend. You still remember the challenge issued to Chiam See Tong to build subsidised housing for Singaporeans? At today's pricing, anybody could have done so. So do you still think public housing is subsidised by our Government?

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    Parliament endorses Population White Paper - Channel NewsAsia

After five days of intense debate, Parliament on Friday passed the amended motion to endorse the White Paper on Population with 77 ayes and 13 nays.

anw still passed..

Debate was perfunctory. It is part of the process. They did not examine the fundamental assumptions which may be severely flawed.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 8th February 2013 at 11:31 PM.

13 nays ? There are only 7 OPPOSITION, who are the other 5 in voted "NO" ?

Was it the first time a division was called for in parliament? CNA censored it during the live broadcast.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Quote Originally Posted by DM101 View Post
    13 nays ? There are only 7 OPPOSITION, who are the other 5 in voted "NO" ?
    7 MPs and 2 NCMPs from Workers' Party plus another NCMP Lina Chiam together with Nominated Members of Parliament Janice Koh, Faizah Jamal and Laurence Lien, a total of 13 votes opposed to the proposal.

NMP Eugene Tan abstained from voting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

7 MPs and 2 NCMPs from Workers' Party plus another NCMP Lina Chiam together with Nominated Members of Parliament Janice Koh, Faizah Jamal and Laurence Lien, a total of 13 votes opposed to the proposal.

NMP Eugene Tan abstained from voting.
    ALL MIW say YES then ?

Old Chinese saying "old generation grow trees and next generation benefit from can take shade from this tree planted" The first bacth of MIW gave us that....

What we are giving next gen is a TIME-BOMB instead ....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Was it the first time a division was called for in parliament? CNA censored it during the live broadcast.
    They were afraid to catch some of the MPs off guard and napping during the debate .....

Quote Originally Posted by frederickykfoo View Post
    This is a forgone conclusion even before it was debated.....

I am sorry, but do you seriously think any of those in WHITE will step out of the party line and do not follow the party direction????

We will see very soon those who did not toe party line will get their dessert.....

The fact is it is 80 vs 7, and it is a WALKOVER.... even before it start..........

If you do not want further walk over.... then, you know what to do in 2016.......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    Debate was perfunctory. It is part of the process. They did not examine the fundamental assumptions which may be severely flawed.
    It is just part of the WAYANG...............
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 36789 LastLast