Thread: Telling a Story (Cambodia)

Default Telling a Story (Cambodia)

DSCF3088

I am still a teen photog, so I still have much to learn, and I just found out there is a Critique Corner, so decided to get some opinions.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Editing, Clarity of story that is being told, Photography techniques (Composition, Exposure, etc.)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    Telling a story of how people from a lesser country differs from ours.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Extremely bright sun, and looking out for the differences between the living conditions between Cambodians and Singaporeans.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    This is one of the photos from my Cambodian collection, depicting difference in lifestyles. I feel that it is more effective in Black and White, but not exactly sure about the effectiveness as a story-telling picture. As I said I am still learning
    Do tell me if you wanna see more from my collection, I would like to get as many opinions as possible.

Default Re: Telling a Story (Cambodia)

Overall, you may increase the brightness, it's just too black to my eye, but I do like the way you put the people base on rule of third
    Last edited by ndaniel; 31st January 2013 at 04:46 PM.

I love black and white pictures a lot.. very nice picture you've got here.. you've got the background and people subjects all in. it'll be so much better if you went nearer to the group though.. it seems like you're standing quite a bit away from the subjects.

thanks for sharing!
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka

Thanks guys! I have actually tried dodging and burning the entire picture, to make the background darker, and the subjects brighter, and have tried my best to do it to the point that the image doesn't look totally unnatural. Will try to play around with the curves I guess. @ndaniel Thanks for the input!

@bonrya Thanks for the compliments! The FOV is probably quite big because, the camera I was using was the X100 which is quite wide, and getting any closer, would get any unwanted attention on me, ruining this rather intimate moment. But I will do some cropping, to bring the attention to the subjects more.

Agree with bonrya that it probably will be more effective if you're nearer to the group, and showing what they're doing, what they're holding in their hands, with the background providing context to tell your story.

Would suggest that next time after taking this shot, move closer, interact with them, and if they're ok with it then shoot closer again
    (of course it's easier to say than doing it hehe, but if you don't try you'll never know right?)

Thanks for sharing and continue shooting!

Blog Entries

Nice idea, but just a few competing elements.the boats taking up a significant proportion of the frame, takes my attention away. It doesn't help that there is a box to the right. In the end, your main subjects were the last of the three elements that i looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by sloppyjoe123
    Thanks guys! I have actually tried dodging and burning the entire picture, to make the background darker, and the subjects brighter, and have tried my best to do it to the point that the image doesn't look totally unnatural. Will try to play around with the curves I guess. @ndaniel Thanks for the input!

@bonrya Thanks for the compliments! The FOV is probably quite big because, the camera I was using was the X100 which is quite wide, and getting any closer, would get any unwanted attention on me, ruining this rather intimate moment. But I will do some cropping, to bring the attention to the subjects more.
    Since you already put in all that effort to do post processing to improve the image, you can also do an extra step to crop the image.

I personally think this image will also work nicely in a square crop.

Untitled
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka