View Poll Results: It's 2005, who still use film?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Film only

62 19.50%
  • Digital only

76 23.90%
  • Mostly Film even I have Digital Cam

43 13.52%
  • Film is best but digital for work or practical reasons

137 43.08%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: It's 2005, who still use film?

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    Torn between Provia and D2x

Hmmm lets see how we can help you....

hypothetically,

about 700 rolls of bulkrolled provia plus processing plus self mounting will be = one D2x.
    700 rolls = 25,200 frames.
    @ hit rate 5% , that yields about 1260 keepers?

1260 keepers for the price of one D2x .... worth it?

no serious comments here, just trying to see if this makes sense

I started with photography and still does photography.

film and digital sucks

Quote Originally Posted by LimCB
    I started with photography and still does photography.

film and digital sucks
    so i presume u capture with ur eyeballs and what, film comes out your ass? pretty much the same way you disseminate all other information, no?

anyway i've been shooting digital most of the time for a couple of years, but recently got into film again because of school, and i'm enjoying it tremendously. i don't expect to dump film just yet, even after school ends. the experience of BnW film and being in the darkroom is priceless.

you can presume anything you want sweety.

Quote Originally Posted by Waffle
    the experience of BnW film and being in the darkroom is priceless.
    yea , shooting digital is a total waste of time isn't it?

I like to use Kodak professional film but at the same time worried that Kodak may at any time stop manufacturing such films.

Default Re: It's 2005, who still use film?

Y I don;t go digital
    : HATE PC....so don't have one at home
    : 'need' the whole 90% of the 35mm format as I like to shot with focal length of <28mm

Not only I use only film, I use only negatives. I am not good enough to be shooting with slides.

DT

I love slides (for personal viewing) , but seems like film will soon die-out one day. Really sad if that day comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum
    I love slides (for personal viewing) , but seems like film will soon die-out one day. Really sad if that day comes.
    I suggest that you read an article by Bob Atkins on Photo.net, titled "Writing on the wall".

Bob talks about digital equipments all the time. This specific article talks about the future of photography - digital and film.

It is at least honest for him to say 'Now talk of "film is dead" is of course, something of an exaggeration'.

Rest assure that horses will not die even when Porsche can make a car that sells for SGD1! There will be people who likes to drive a Porsche to impress their girlfriends, but chose to ride a horse with their girlfriends in, er, "close contact".

For professionals, digital will surely, and have in fact taken over. The advantages of the digital processes need not be debated here.

But films will persist. The choice may be more limited. But they will be available. And there are even more archaic processes in photography, such as platinum prints, which have such delicacy and permanence that there is really no replacement.

There is place for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    I suggest that you read an article by Bob Atkins on Photo.net, titled "Writing on the wall".

Bob talks about digital equipments all the time. This specific article talks about the future of photography - digital and film.

It is at least honest for him to say 'Now talk of "film is dead" is of course, something of an exaggeration'.

Rest assure that horses will not die even when Porsche can make a car that sells for SGD1! There will be people who likes to drive a Porsche to impress their girlfriends, but chose to ride a horse with their girlfriends in, er, "close contact".

For professionals, digital will surely, and have in fact taken over. The advantages of the digital processes need not be debated here.

But films will persist. The choice may be more limited. But they will be available. And there are even more archaic processes in photography, such as platinum prints, which have such delicacy and permanence that there is really no replacement.

There is place for everybody.
    When Porsche can make a car that sells for SGD1, it would not be impressive driving a Porsche... But, if it is really that cheap I'll drive it... for now, I'll stick to the horse (film)...

After serious shooting for 16 years, still will be shooting film. Using digital only for taking shots for posting on internet, passport etc etc.

Besides enjoying shooting I also enjoy the feel of a good camera. Those to my taste will be R7, RTS2, RTS3, F4, F1 etc. To get the same feel I think I will need to folk out more than $5000 for D2 or EOS1D etc etc.

Guess film will survive but maybe becomes nitch. Just like LP in music. After so many decades people still making very expensive LP players and people still press LPs of the latest audiophile recording.

Quote Originally Posted by fuwen
    After serious shooting for 16 years, still will be shooting film. Using digital only for taking shots for posting on internet, passport etc etc.

Besides enjoying shooting I also enjoy the feel of a good camera. Those to my taste will be R7, RTS2, RTS3, F4, F1 etc. To get the same feel I think I will need to folk out more than $5000 for D2 or EOS1D etc etc.

Guess film will survive but maybe becomes nitch. Just like LP in music. After so many decades people still making very expensive LP players and people still press LPs of the latest audiophile recording.

SUper agree with you

At least it will be some time before you can do multiple exposure on a dslr ...hahhaaa

where is 'film and digital' in the poll?

Quote Originally Posted by fuwen
    Wah! That means next time films is for the rich people only? Oh no, poor me...

I can't vote since I don't post here hardly at all, mostly stick in N. American forums, that said I still 98% shoot film. Although, technically I could claim digital since I scan my negs/slides to post process and effects.

well, fyi for those people who still shoot film, the camera shop at adelphi is selling fuji superia xtra 400 @10.80 for 4 rolls..

Quote Originally Posted by buddy
    well, fyi for those people who still shoot film, the camera shop at adelphi is selling fuji superia xtra 400 @10.80 for 4 rolls..
    WOAH! That's... flippin' cheap!

but i'm still very much in love with BnW

I am still using flim! as to me, digital age comes with a huge price tag which i cant afford just yet. But end of year I will be getting a DSLR. That does not mean i will ditch my Minolta x700.

The feel of manually forwarding an exposure and the clicking of the shutter can nv be described nor replaced.

Just finished 3 rolls of Ilford FP4 yesterday.

I usually use Fuji Superior 200 as my main flim. Once in a while will use slide.

Anyway , where to get Superior 100 in Singapore ? Anyone ?
    Panasonic G3 | Minolta X700 | Minolta X370 | Pentax Asahi Spotmatic | Pratika MTL 3 | Panasonic Lx3

Quote Originally Posted by overcrash
    Anyway , where to get Superior 100 in Singapore ? Anyone ?
    Fotohub - beach road...
    I just bought one roll

Anyone onz for some slides/b&w outing?

Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast