View Poll Results: It's 2005, who still use film?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Film only

62 19.50%
  • Digital only

76 23.90%
  • Mostly Film even I have Digital Cam

43 13.52%
  • Film is best but digital for work or practical reasons

137 43.08%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: It's 2005, who still use film?

I see the big prob is that with digital, you must be very good in your post processing skills. Most never quite understand fully colour management issues. I don't! Takes a darn degree to plow thru all those stuffs. That's why maybe there's so much hoo hah over digital vs films in terms of colours?

With films, it's all too easy. You can't control the colours of slides. You love the colors of Velvia, that's it. Just use it.

That said, digital is just too good to pass off in this 21st century. I feel so wasteful using films these days. Unless maybe I'm a pro and get paid for the films I use.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2
    I see the big prob is that with digital, you must be very good in your post processing skills. Most never quite understand fully colour management issues. I don't! Takes a darn degree to plow thru all those stuffs. That's why maybe there's so much hoo hah over digital vs films in terms of colours?

With films, it's all too easy. You can't control the colours of slides. You love the colors of Velvia, that's it. Just use it.

That said, digital is just too good to pass off in this 21st century. I feel so wasteful using films these days. Unless maybe I'm a pro and get paid for the films I use.
    No need camera, use ->
    http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen...allerymain.php

I guess I will use film till the day I expire or there are no more films being manufactured. (May not be in this order)

Quote Originally Posted by trenyi
    Film is here to stay and that is going to be a long long time...wanted to switch to DSLR but due to the cost of the body i think will wait till prices continue to drop further before investing in one, in the meantime film is the number 1 format for me still and now im loooking foward to purchase my 3rd body which is the EOS3 which i got a deal for 1400 for the body and the battery pack...does anyone know if it's a good buy...btw it's a 2nd hand.

There seems to be an EOS-1V with PB-E going for just $150 more...

Still prefer shooting Film. Digital P&S for play play only.

still shooting some slides and negatives. found it expensive though.

For pictures required at work I use digital (I'd kill myself if I had to use film for taking the pictures I need there). For play/recreation/holiday, film.

When I shoot digital, I feel like my photography skill slackened. Clicking happily like nobody business and feels images like junk. Still prefer film, the control and feel of it. Each precise moment is captured with great sense of satisfaction.....some fella photographers felt the same too.

Not only in 2005 using film, bet that I'll still continue using it as long as film is still available..

Actually, beside initial investment on an adequate dslr which never been adequate enough and there are always upgrade investment for aquiring future technology. For film, u get film and can get them scan if you need to upload online or share them on email. For that, I don't think hi-res is necessary since it will be a problem sending them thru email or upload to limited space web album.

For printing, there you have -> film. No need to play with never ending setting on image software which potentially another invesment cost. Why better digital technology and higher resolution? Most likely you need the resolution and quality for printing. Otherwise, why do you need mega hi-res? Croping? sure but then the crop file will not be hi-res anyway.

But ofcos like many here have said, due to work convienences and imaging needs. Majority of users may be just shooting for past time and do not want to bother about film processing and enjoy shooting in quantity. Ofcause, out of quantity, you get some quality.

So they are there to stay.
    Last edited by whoelse; 6th July 2005 at 05:30 PM.

Film is a clear preference for me. But price and size is a real problem... my digital cam is less than half the weight of my slr body, and can be slipped easily into my bag (and my digicam is considered large...). Whenever I go out with my SLR, it feels like an excursion coz of the big camera bag filled with lens, flash, filters, film and other photo barang...

and the $$$ and time required to develop photos is not competitive. I can view my digital photos without developing them. Friends typically ask to see the picture IMMEDIATELY after I take the shot and give me a dirty look when i tell them that they'll have to wait till i send the roll for development - people these days are spoilt! :P

That said, I hope i can continue to afford film and development charges... my current digital photos cannot come close to my film photos. Otherwise, a DSLR wld be a distant second best for me.
    Last edited by feryl; 6th July 2005 at 06:08 PM.

Take film as an expenses rather then investment
    Like food we eat and then xxx in toilet haha.

$2.50 a roll, processing $3, $2.50 scan to CDR can store 11 rolls I think.

$8. See movie now $9.50 liao

Quote Originally Posted by feryl
    Film is a clear preference for me. But price and size is a real problem... my digital cam is less than half the weight of my slr body, and can be slipped easily into my bag (and my digicam is considered large...). Whenever I go out with my SLR, it feels like an excursion coz of the big camera bag filled with lens, flash, filters, film and other photo barang...

and the $$$ and time required to develop photos is not competitive. I can view my digital photos without developing them. Friends typically ask to see the picture IMMEDIATELY after I take the shot and give me a dirty look when i tell them that they'll have to wait till i send the roll for development - people these days are spoiled! :P

That said, I hope i can continue to afford film and development charges... my current digital photos cannot come close to my film photos. Otherwise, a DSLR wld be a distant second best for me.

i still use film SLR, got a budget EOS for $500+, D-SLR on other hand costs $2000 at that time. initial costs too high for me & i dun tink i will shoot that often...

maybe wen i cross to digital in few years time the $$ of D-SLR will drop to $1000 (body oni)?

oso, i still prefer to flip photo albums to viewing photos on PC or TV. if s'pore got major blackout how?

most of the ppl here that still shoot film are quite good with their skills.

seriously, for the average person in the street, i seldom hear they want to buy film camera, whether its P&S or SLR. nowadays, u will only hear i want to buy XYZ digital camera.

dun think film is going to last long, maybe 5-10 years more.

Quote Originally Posted by feryl
    ...my current digital photos cannot come close to my film photos.
    I'd have to agree with you. In this day and age I'm actually thinking of trying out medium format. It's a seductive format, I'm quite tired of the 35mm format already.

I still love looking at negatives... it's the smell, feel and look that cannot be replaced. Thanks to whoelse for suggesting the roll->develop->digiscan option, i'll do that when I have more than 8 rolls to develop; I'm not sure if i can allow myself to forgo the tangibility of holding photos though!

has anyone else realise that with the advent of digital cameras, people don't take photography seriously anymore? most of the pictures that my frens take with their digital cameras are plain at best; at worst, plain awful. The framing and focus is all wrong and some pictures are tinted in weird hues of green or red. I'm won't even start on lighting and depth of field...

what i can conclude is that with the ability to take as many photos as they can at no extra cost, they are less careful and mindful of how a good photo should look like. Of coz, pros will still turn out good photos with a normal digicam, but it really hurts the laymen who have little or no photographic knowledge. How are they going to learn?!

Maybe the laymen don't wish to learn? So long they capture a record shot that'll do it for them. Not everyone is likeminded.

When my friend asks me to view her pics online, I don't expect anything similar in standard so I just grit my teeth and bear it. Then she'll ask me how to do this and that, when i tel her she quips "I'm not pro like you."

Such is life...

just got a new old camera - konica autoreflex T3 (the T-34 of the camera world) if someone tries to steal this camera, hit them over the head with it then use it to take their bloodied picture and send it to the police.

it uses Flash Instant Light Memory.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Quote Originally Posted by patch17
    just got a new old camera - konica autoreflex T3 (the T-34 of the camera world) if someone tries to steal this camera, hit them over the head with it then use it to take their bloodied picture and send it to the police.

it uses Flash Instant Light Memory.
    Konica Autoreflex T3
    Well built and the len is top notch.

Not doubt that digital camera sales has far over taken film camera where already more or less perfected in the 80's. Not much features exciting enough to add. However, majority of these digital sales are compact, P&S. I see little point in buying film p&s for sure. High-end film compact maybe. DSLR is probably more then film SLR as these are new purchases. Film SLR users are probably already purchased many years ago or buy used. Nothing extra to invest for newer SLR.

So more sales for digital, can tell from the manufacturer. As in how many total user in digital I would say more digital if you consider average people on the street who take photo regardless of whether they are interested in photography or not. Who doesn't have handphone with camera? Probably the percentage is high hence explain the penetration in digital technology.

As in people who are hardcore into photography, I think there are more film then digital base on all these clubsnap poll here and there.

Digital only 21.25%
    ---
    Film only 25.62%
    Mostly Film even I have Digital Cam 15.63%
    Film is best but digital for work or practical reasons 37.50%

Total Film supporters = 78.75%

Don't be mislead by sales statistic.
    Last edited by whoelse; 6th July 2005 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whoelse
    Konica Autoreflex T3
    Well built and the len is top notch.

Not doubt that digital camera sales has far over taken film camera where already more or less perfected in the 80's. Not much features exciting enough to add. However, majority of these digital sales are compact, P&S. I see little point in buying film p&s for sure. High-end film compact maybe. DSLR is probably more then film SLR as these are new purchases. Film SLR users are probably already purchased many years ago or buy used. Nothing extra to invest for newer SLR.

So more sales for digital, can tell from the manufacturer. As in how many total user in digital I would say more digital if you consider average people on the street who take photo regardless of whether they are interested in photography or not. Who doesn't have handphone with camera? Probably the percentage is high hence explain the penetration in digital technology.

As in people who are hardcore into photography, I think there are more film then digital base on all these clubsnap poll here and there.

Digital only 21.25%
    ---
    Film only 25.62%
    Mostly Film even I have Digital Cam 15.63%
    Film is best but digital for work or practical reasons 37.50%

Total Film supporters = 78.75%

Don't be mislead by sales statistic.

Your interpretation of the last category is very misleading. Classifying 3 categories out of 4 as film supporter is a very old statistical survey trick to force a bias. Even the fourth category, I will interpret as digital supporter. The comment that 'Film is best..use digital....' misleads digital users to select this catergory.

If you want better results, you can add these following categories too:

Love film, digital for general purpose
    Film is good, digital is only convenient.
    Film is my medium for slides, digital is not good enough.
    Film. But I have a digital phone camera.

Good luck. You can rack up better results than 78.75 percent.
    Remind me of those days when a NUS statistics professor made us analyse numbers till our eyes go bonkers.

Thanks for the morning laugh.
    Last edited by tOGGY; 8th July 2005 at 11:32 AM.

Digital for normal come-as-you-please urges.Film for days when I want to indulge myself...
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast