View Poll Results: It's 2005, who still use film?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • Film only

62 19.50%
  • Digital only

76 23.90%
  • Mostly Film even I have Digital Cam

43 13.52%
  • Film is best but digital for work or practical reasons

137 43.08%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's 2005, who still use film?

Quote Originally Posted by whoelse
    Same as last year poll reasult, 80% prefer film @@
    Bear in mind that no everyone voted. Basically, those who voted here are film users I would say cos majority of the "digital only" won't be bothered with this thread. Agree?

Any plan to have a pure B&W outing soon?

film is still my primary media till now,mostly B&W.

though i'm quite amazed by wad digital can do to an image,it still can't gives me the kick i get from darkroom printing.

so as long as film & chemicals are available,i guess i will still be using them.

Am a film user, and I have no plans to give it up yet, my wife uses a digital though and she gets to laugh at me for the mere ability to see n lock the photos into her digi cam first.

As I am still taking my infant steps towards photography, I guess it will take some time before I get to have the last laugh at the photos we took.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiang
    Am a film user, and I have no plans to give it up yet, my wife uses a digital though and she gets to laugh at me for the mere ability to see n lock the photos into her digi cam first.

As I am still taking my infant steps towards photography, I guess it will take some time before I get to have the last laugh at the photos we took.
    HI there,
    I still use film for me cos I'm not going to take up DSLR at the monment yet and the technology still keep on changing here and there.So it very differcult to see which cam system is good to use.Even the new cam system is out,the system is very costly and some of us,like me cannot effort such a expensive item.

When Internet became popular, the media speculated that it will replace paper media. It is a fact that alot of users started to browse the Internet. After boom/bust, the dust settled and both media complement each other. Today many still print out documents to read even you have them in your computer.

The media also speculate that CRT is dead and LCD will replace it. LCD is no doubt better for text but slower refresh rate then CRT and also color reproduction. Once the LCD is dead/color faded/dead pixels, it is expensive to replace the entire panel and probably not able to get replacement parts. After boom/bust, dust settled. These 2 again complement each other.

It seems to be the same situation for camera media.

This is common when something new emerged, many new adoptors will flood to buy and marketing activities will be the main attention. This is where the money to be made for the new emerging products.
    Last edited by FIR; 26th March 2005 at 12:24 PM.

oh yes FIR..u spoke my mind. i agree very much on ur comparison.

i am still using film.

but I am also using a digital camera.

saving towards a DSLR.

Torn between Provia and D2x

Sooner or later... shooting film will be like shooting on medium format. A rare occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    Torn between Provia and D2x
    I will take provia anyday...
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

well I am a Film User although I have embrace Digital.

The feeling of shooting film is nice when you know you are limited to 36/37/38 shots per rolls, there is satisfaction everytime you press the shutter however on digital... you just whack (depending on the space of your storage card) and any poor shots will become good shots after some post processing that's my pov

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    I will take provia anyday...
    Man... you need to try out D2x.... real close to Provia... anyways, I still prefer provia but I hate the 1 day turn around time for E-6 Processing.. Oh yes... and also the fact that I cannot mask out minor exposure errors....

Wahh, surprised there are still many who use films. I thot it's almost buried deep. Seriously.

In the newspapers, I could hardly find camera companies advertising film compacts anymore. And amateurs who want to buy compact cams will almost certainly go directly to digital. Those who still want films, based on my stereotyped judgements are either afraid of venturing into technology or they only take pics very occasionally.

I miss films on passport photos though. These days, most shops shoot digital in some cheapo make shift corner of the shop and charge bloody high prices for the prints at low resolution. shame on them. Sometimes the cams are operated by Ah-sohs even who hardly take pics! I miss the medium format!

Quote Originally Posted by David
    I miss films on passport photos though. These days, most shops shoot digital in some cheapo make shift corner of the shop and charge bloody high prices for the prints at low resolution. shame on them. Sometimes the cams are operated by Ah-sohs even who hardly take pics! I miss the medium format!
    I am with you here. Some even uses P&S.

Film is here to stay and that is going to be a long long time...wanted to switch to DSLR but due to the cost of the body i think will wait till prices continue to drop further before investing in one, in the meantime film is the number 1 format for me still and now im loooking foward to purchase my 3rd body which is the EOS3 which i got a deal for 1400 for the body and the battery pack...does anyone know if it's a good buy...btw it's a 2nd hand.

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    Man... you need to try out D2x.... real close to Provia... anyways, I still prefer provia but I hate the 1 day turn around time for E-6 Processing.. Oh yes... and also the fact that I cannot mask out minor exposure errors....
    i know D2X is good.. but check out the price... and the product life for D2X is only 5-6 years compared to film... hope u know what am i saying

btw, Fotohub provides E6 processing at only 3 hours max.

Lets forget digital and embrace slides!
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

I do both, normally will lugg both bodies along for shoots.
    Depends on what I'm shooting and what mood I'm in and also just in case my digital decides to go error99 on me again, ever so often.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast