Thread: Sunset - Sunrise tips

Default Sunset - Sunrise tips

I'll be heading to desaru, johor soon.

Any tips on how to take good sunset\sunrise shots and what sort of ISO rated-flim I should use?

Been using ISO 400, and I noticed that its really grainy. Might want to change to 100, but afraid that I'll lose some streetshots in the evening (due to bad lighting?)

If I want the whole image to be perfectly exposed, where do I meter (spot-metering)

Default Re: Sunset - Sunrise tips

Originally posted by Necroist

Any tips on how to take good sunset\sunrise shots and what sort of ISO rated-flim I should use?

Been using ISO 400, and I noticed that its really grainy. Might want to change to 100, but afraid that I'll lose some streetshots in the evening (due to bad lighting?)

If I want the whole image to be perfectly exposed, where do I meter (spot-metering)
    Can I assume your experience with 400 film is with Kodak Max 400? ;P Try Fuji instead.

Ian's the sunrise/set expert here, maybe he can advice.

Regards
    CK

Mine's a fuji

(Superia X-tra 400)

Mine's a fuji

(Superia X-tra 400)
    Oh, ok. my bad.

Now, let's hear from Ian.

Regards
    CK

ClubSNAP Admin

Use low ISO flims, 50 or 100

The Sunset Picture
    Tips for capturing nature's favorite subject

http://www.photofocus.com/zine4.htm

1. use slide film, 50 or 100
    2. bracket from whatever the matrix/evaluative metering tells you.

No expert here, but I just came back from desaru with some sunrise shots of my own.

ISO100-200 should be enough to take it handheld if you meter closer to the sun which is what I did for a more dramatic effect as there would then be a contrast due to the other parts of the scene being darker.

Metering the darker parts of the scene may result in a blown out image due to the sun.

Here are some of my shots.