Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: question on UV Filter

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tomato
    Posts
    458

    Default question on UV Filter

    Hi all Lumixers

    It's me again popping another stupid question, so please forgive me.

    I wanna know coz i see someone selling his UV filters :
    1. FZ 10 comes with default 72mm thread?
    2. UV filter comes with different colors and is not the normal clear type??
    3. i'm interested to buy a polarise lens and uv filter anyonecan offer? (Jim still waiting for you to quote me ur UV filter leh)

    again, thanks for your time!

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psx2sg
    Hi all Lumixers

    It's me again popping another stupid question, so please forgive me.

    I wanna know coz i see someone selling his UV filters :
    1. FZ 10 comes with default 72mm thread?
    2. UV filter comes with different colors and is not the normal clear type??
    3. i'm interested to buy a polarise lens and uv filter anyonecan offer? (Jim still waiting for you to quote me ur UV filter leh)

    again, thanks for your time!
    Hi psx2sg.
    1. Fz10/20 is provided with a tube adapter, that can mount the hood correct?
    the tube adapter has a 72mm thread, so you can mount filters to the tip.

    2. UV filters are clear, just filter UV rays. Colored filters are colored filters (red, green, blue etc)

    3. 72mm UV filters generally range from $10-25.
    72mm Circular polariser about $45.

    If you want details on polariser, filters, use the "search this forum" function within the sub forum. There have been similar posts before and answers provided.
    RH

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tomato
    Posts
    458

    Default

    I post a quest on filter and this is the reply :""If your FZ10 has a 72-mm thread, then yes. Therere 3 filters : blue, light blue and purple. Please email"

    http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....a?aID=89129317

  4. #4

    Default

    I am guessing the bugger has UV filters that are colored.
    You can use them for creative shots.
    Get if you need, otherwise just get normal ones from popular shops (CP-Cathay Photo: Peninsula, AP-Alan Photo: Funan/Simlim, MS: MS color: AMK Jubilee S11) etc. Good luck
    RH

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tomato
    Posts
    458

    Default

    ok, thanks rhair. BTW, u have any idea how much are the filters?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psx2sg
    ok, thanks rhair. BTW, u have any idea how much are the filters?
    nope. sorry. i visit those shops once in a blue moon.
    no $$$
    RH

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tomato
    Posts
    458

    Default

    no worries...me too

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    In this small world
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psx2sg
    Hi all Lumixers

    It's me again popping another stupid question, so please forgive me.

    I wanna know coz i see someone selling his UV filters :
    1. FZ 10 comes with default 72mm thread?
    2. UV filter comes with different colors and is not the normal clear type??
    3. i'm interested to buy a polarise lens and uv filter anyonecan offer? (Jim still waiting for you to quote me ur UV filter leh)

    again, thanks for your time!

    1. as rhair78 explained

    2. The most basic UV filters are UV(0) with no colour cast (no colour temp change), Skylight 1B (a slight warm/pink cast). Normally I just get a UV instead as I like what my film produce. Those blue, red UV filters, have not see/heard before. pure blue/red filters that is meant for Black and White I know.

    3. This is not the place to ask to buy. But if you really want to buy, get the brand B+W, more expensive but much easier to clean and last longer. Hoya SHMC (Super Hoya Multi Coated) has a very strong yellow cast if you do not use manual white balance. I would dare say the overall quality of Hoya filters are inferior to B+W. Even my uncoated B+W red filter cleans easier than the Hoya multi coated ones.

    B+W UV MRC (Multi Resistent Coated) are not cheap, $45 for a 58mm. A 72mm will be around $80+/-. Expensive but remember it stays on your lens all the while. For polarizer, a 67mm one cost $165 for a B+W one. A 72mm should be near $200+/-

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    A $72 mm B+W MRC 010 UV costs about $73, but you seriously get what you pay for, for the Hoya I gave up. Just test the two on newspaper and white piece of paper and you'll see what I mean.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tomato
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    A $72 mm B+W MRC 010 UV costs about $73, but you seriously get what you pay for, for the Hoya I gave up. Just test the two on newspaper and white piece of paper and you'll see what I mean.
    Thanks for the tip, butat the moment when i see all these pricing....

    my expression ...

    guess have to save a bit 1st...

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psx2sg
    Thanks for the tip, butat the moment when i see all these pricing....

    my expression ...

    guess have to save a bit 1st...
    I'm letting go my 72mm UV and C poloriser. PM me if interested!


  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    A $72 mm B+W MRC 010 UV costs about $73, but you seriously get what you pay for, for the Hoya I gave up. Just test the two on newspaper and white piece of paper and you'll see what I mean.
    Where do i find this B+W UV filter? Also, how many versions of the UV filter does B+W have? just in case i end up buying a cheaper or a less multi-coated filter.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    In this small world
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scann69
    Where do i find this B+W UV filter? Also, how many versions of the UV filter does B+W have? just in case i end up buying a cheaper or a less multi-coated filter.

    Oh man....

    http://www.schneideroptics.com/filte.../uv_&_warming/


    I supposed B+W filters comes in 2 coatings, Uncoated and Multi Resistent Coated (MRC). Already it is mentioned in my previous post here (which you cannot even bother to READ) it is MRC, just tell Cathay Photo uncle you are looking for 72mm B+W MRC UV filter. The first 2 filters in the link are 2 different filters (Skylight with slight colour correction for different purposes). Each filters come in Uncoated and MRC.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psx2sg
    Hi all Lumixers

    It's me again popping another stupid question, so please forgive me.

    I wanna know coz i see someone selling his UV filters :
    1. FZ 10 comes with default 72mm thread?
    2. UV filter comes with different colors and is not the normal clear type??
    3. i'm interested to buy a polarise lens and uv filter anyonecan offer? (Jim still waiting for you to quote me ur UV filter leh)

    again, thanks for your time!
    Hey... Dun get 72mm filters... heee... Get a phayee or chen tube then u can attach 62 mm filters... Generally the smaller the filter the cheaper they are.

    As for UV filters, i use them so as for protection for my Leica lens on FZ10, so tokina single coated would be fine. If you willing to pay for more get a hoya hmc, multi coated one. But a Hoya would cost about 2 times more than the tokina one...

    Cheers...

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Oh man....

    http://www.schneideroptics.com/filte.../uv_&_warming/


    I supposed B+W filters comes in 2 coatings, Uncoated and Multi Resistent Coated (MRC). Already it is mentioned in my previous post here (which you cannot even bother to READ) it is MRC, just tell Cathay Photo uncle you are looking for 72mm B+W MRC UV filter. The first 2 filters in the link are 2 different filters (Skylight with slight colour correction for different purposes). Each filters come in Uncoated and MRC.

    Thanx for the reply theITguy but if u had taken the trouble to read my question, i asked which filter and you did mention there are 2 types. Question is, which one would be the best to buy with all the coating needed. I don't want to buy a cheaper one and realize i should have gotten the other one.
    You mention B+W UV MRC (Multi Resistent Coated) while espn mentioned B+W MRC 010 UV. Now am i to know if it's the same with the fact that i'm asking cos i'm new.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    In this small world
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scann69
    Thanx for the reply theITguy but if u had taken the trouble to read my question, i asked which filter and you did mention there are 2 types. Question is, which one would be the best to buy with all the coating needed. I don't want to buy a cheaper one and realize i should have gotten the other one.
    You mention B+W UV MRC (Multi Resistent Coated) while espn mentioned B+W MRC 010 UV. Now am i to know if it's the same with the fact that i'm asking cos i'm new.

    Both are the same, the "010" is just a industrial code. Cathay do not bring in specialised filters like UV Haze. So there will be only 1 and 1 72mm B+W UV MRC filter in Cathay Photo. If you took the trouble to see the link, you will see that the UV I am talking is same as espn.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scann69
    Thanx for the reply theITguy but if u had taken the trouble to read my question, i asked which filter and you did mention there are 2 types. Question is, which one would be the best to buy with all the coating needed. I don't want to buy a cheaper one and realize i should have gotten the other one.
    You mention B+W UV MRC (Multi Resistent Coated) while espn mentioned B+W MRC 010 UV. Now am i to know if it's the same with the fact that i'm asking cos i'm new.
    B+W filter are expensive. No point getting so expensive filter and yet see not much difference in the photo taken. In my opinion, the add on a UV filter is just to protect the lens inside. Why bother to spend so much, see no difference and heart pain pain when it get scratch... If u insist on buy a B+W 72mm filter... well good luck... i rather buy 7 x tokina filter and use... scratch throw... buy new one...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tomato
    Posts
    458

    Default

    One small question, Just got a UV filter (finally) but realise that i've nothing to protect the filter, do they sell the covers also?

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psx2sg
    One small question, Just got a UV filter (finally) but realise that i've nothing to protect the filter, do they sell the covers also?
    Yah, just go back to the shop and ask them for a lens cover. Make sure it fits will do.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psx2sg
    One small question, Just got a UV filter (finally) but realise that i've nothing to protect the filter, do they sell the covers also?
    just tell them the lens cap size u need (72mm or 62mm)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •