Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Product Photography & Studio Lighting

  1. #1

    Default Product Photography & Studio Lighting

    2 general questions I hope to have answers to:

    (1) For product photography, say for instance chocolates, what is the kind of suitable lighting to be used in a studio? Considering that a drop in more than 4 degrees temperature may result in condensation.

    (2) Any studios for rent that comes with air conditioning? How much is the rent per hour?

    Any kind advise, pls.


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    i am going to get some transparent acrylic (i dunno when...) easier for your kind of shoot. as you can't directly place the chocolates onto the backdrop or paper. u wan any? btw glass is no no, cos reflective.

    like i told u, use cool lights like color tuned florescent lights. if use flashes also have to keep to minimum.

    thought all studios have air-con, except depends on the power output... keep it to sub 15degreeC?

    btw wanna go buy some chocolates & try at my place?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    i am going to get some transparent acrylic (i dunno when...) easier for your kind of shoot. as you can't directly place the chocolates onto the backdrop or paper. u wan any? btw glass is no no, cos reflective.

    like i told u, use cool lights like color tuned florescent lights. if use flashes also have to keep to minimum.

    thought all studios have air-con, except depends on the power output... keep it to sub 15degreeC?

    btw wanna go buy some chocolates & try at my place?
    Previously with my 828, I've taken on several occasions pics of chocolates for my fren's biz. But at that time it was from home with 2 flourescent tubes. Turned out well. Thought this time I may try it on studio lighting.
    The transparent acrylic sounds like a great idea.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    nowadays, most use these white cool lights for studio liao... cos have color correction already, tungsten too hot to handle... besides... we can still do custom white balance as well. or shoot raw.

    u wan F828 i still got lor... hehe on standby... see how u wanna shoot let me know.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    nowadays, most use these white cool lights for studio liao... cos have color correction already, tungsten too hot to handle... besides... we can still do custom white balance as well. or shoot raw.

    u wan F828 i still got lor... hehe on standby... see how u wanna shoot let me know.
    Thanks. That is definitely a good option. Thought u sold it as well already?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    i sold to my mom, whom gave to my dad, and ended up in my dry cabinet... so still mine... but i got cash from it... hehehehe
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    i sold to my mom, whom gave to my dad, and ended up in my dry cabinet... so still mine... but i got cash from it... hehehehe
    What a dream sale! How I wish I could sell things and the item stlll end up in my cabinet. So its just a transfer of title deed. Btw, u never charge them rent?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    they haven charge me usage fee yet wor... hehehehe... but i do maintenance for them lah... and do coaching... haha, so in turn they sometimes help to pay my equipment fees.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder
    (2) Any studios for rent that comes with air conditioning? How much is the rent per hour?

    Any kind advise, pls.

    My studio is for rent, fully aircon, can set to lowest at 20 degree if u want, with various size of tables for products. Check this post for rate.
    Astin Studio for rent

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    astin, u have cool lights? btw... cos flashes emit heat?

    just asking for a fren.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default

    I have Bowens studio flash:

    The modeling light can get very hot, your friend can switch off the modeling light and use only the flash tube. The flash tube also emit heat, I am not sure what amount of heat it emits.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    tats what we are concern about... cos heat might melt the chocolate... maybe i am just paranoid...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  13. #13

    Lightbulb

    use 'dummy' as stand-in first as in the movies.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    just went to buy plexiglas... 2.4 x 1.2m, will be using 1.2x1.2 for my table... den excess cutting a 600mm x 300mm den bending it to be a platform. u wan 1? i still got quite alot of excess.

    btw dunno if its expensive.. the plastic cost me 120bucks...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    just went to buy plexiglas... 2.4 x 1.2m, will be using 1.2x1.2 for my table... den excess cutting a 600mm x 300mm den bending it to be a platform. u wan 1? i still got quite alot of excess.

    btw dunno if its expensive.. the plastic cost me 120bucks...
    Great. Maybe u can show it to me one of these days.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    going to make a heater to bend plastic... hehee... funny ar... dunno to put into the oven, or make a rod heater to bend the sides...

    think nxt time i go buy another 2.4 x 1.2, den make bend at 3 strategic places for my studio table... get a translucent 1... den look like a white backdrop...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default

    haha... i kay kiang drive my car down just now.. den cannot put in... so tomorrow drive the van down to collect.. stupid me...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #18

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    going to make a heater to bend plastic... hehee... funny ar... dunno to put into the oven, or make a rod heater to bend the sides...

    think nxt time i go buy another 2.4 x 1.2, den make bend at 3 strategic places for my studio table... get a translucent 1... den look like a white backdrop...
    why do you want to bend it with a curve like 90 degrees or are you?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •