4 12.50%
  • I gave out...

1 3.13%
  • Feel like crying and dying...

7 21.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: for those who are jobless now

Talking for those who are jobless now

Is our employment market improved like what our garment said?
    Last edited by whoelse; 17th March 2005 at 01:31 PM.

If you have higher education diploma or degree or better, and few years experience, then there are plenty of jobs now, choose the better ones.
    If you only have O level, or without real work experience, then there may not be many jobs to choose, grab any if you can.

There are 2 totally different employment markets now, sad

Quote Originally Posted by Astin
    If you have higher education diploma or degree or better, and few years experience, then there are plenty of jobs now, choose the better ones.
    If you only have O level, or without real work experience, then there may not be many jobs to choose, grab any if you can.

There are 2 totally different employment markets now, sad

The first scenario does not count if you are above 40, even if you have an MBA.Work for them is tough to find, and they are usually saddled with a growing household and kids moving on to a tertiary education.The time lag in refocusing their occupation will not be very smooth for them.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Sometime over qualified also a problem. If you lower your expectation, that job might not be suitable. Some people can do difficult things but clumsy at simple thing.

"Jiang Tai Gong" was still a butcher when he was 70 years old and alot of people thought he is mad. Once he was appointed by the emporer, he conquer the enermy.

"zhu Ge-Liang" was a farmer befor approached by liu bei. Liu Bei himself was previously making straw shoe for living.

No matter how diffcult life is, it was always find it's way out. Hang on there, meanwhile shoot more pictures and relax.

(Like this flower, live on a hole on the wall. Not only it live, but florish).
    -
    Last edited by whoelse; 17th March 2005 at 06:44 PM.

just take any jobs......the boredom and the finances will ease. And your future employers will see your resume and judge you as a productive person.

To each his own

Any babes looking for gigolo?

Quote Originally Posted by whoelse

make it two gigolos....

Paper qualifications means little these days, unless it is a specialized qualification. More important is relevant work experience, skills and knowledge. I know of frens who have generic degree and master degrees who are still stuck to their entry level jobs after years of slogging. Changing jobs does not make it any better.

Depending on that paper qualification one has is like digging your own grave. In many capacities, people can easily be replaced by others who are younger and less qualified, and paid less. So I think it is important to continually learn new skills and upgrade. In the event when the next economic crisis comes, u still have some other skills to fall back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Benign
    make it two gigolos....
    i don't mind being in reserve list

Dunno who else is like me, a victim from outsourcing deal

To be frank, the market is getting better, but alot of companies are employing foreign talents to fill the vacancies. Yes, its true, the MOM allows such thing from happening when our poor locals people are still left jobless and I mean those professional.

Why employ FT not local? The answer is simple:
    1. Local male have to serve reservist, where else FT need not, this is 1 very
    attractive point.
    2. FT are more willing to take the job at a lower pay as compared to our local
    (Most of these FT comes from developing countries, as such to them the
    pays are attractive)
    3. The list will go on....

Why I know these, because out of 10 been employed by my company, at least 5 are FT.

Disclaimer: I'm not against FT, I do welcome them and I have friends who are these FT. However, I do reallly wish the policy makers would do something about it, not sacrificing the benefits of the local for ......

Their fall talent, our foreign talent.

20yrs ago, most of the employment force are O levels.
    10yrs ago, poly/A levels.
    Now everyone is degree holder.

Therefore it is the same as most of the job seekers. Education is getting easier to pass unlike last time. Most of the students make it to University. More competition from graduates and therefore more people willing to get lower pay.

Everyone degree holder = most jobs are qualified for these people.
    Competitions = willing to lower salary to compete the job.
    Higher qualification = getting pay as most diploma/A levels.
    Degree = less attractive.

These is why some indian contruction workers are degree holder, maids from philipines are degree holders. Too many, easy to pass less value added since everyone is the same.

i know a friend who quited more than 3 months. she got a master degree in IT but still can't find a job. looking for perm job and not those contract IT job.

she is starting to get a bit discouraged and depressed.

hoho hoho...try macritchie reservoir??

I jobless now.

Me too... I am also looking for a job... So sad, not even call me up for 1st interview...

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan99
    Me too... I am also looking for a job... So sad, not even call me up for 1st interview...

HI there,
    I've just quit my job and went to the 1st interview yesterday inthe late afternoon.Now the market in singapore are very in demanding.For those who are still working in the company,learn as much as you can in the company which you are working right now.

There are indeed many jobs offers in singapore. Just that the timing & working days might not suit majority hoping for a 8 to 5 or 9 to 6 type of job scope.

Anyway, I've gone to 3 companies & have got offered by 2. I'm just an O level with not much experiences but am now getting pay of more than $1.8K, less than $2.5 per month.

To the other CSers, wish you all good luck if you are currently jobless now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast