Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mia/awol

Quote Originally Posted by espn

I don't mean to depress you, but if you can, switch lines. IT sux. That's from a person that has been working in IT for 4 years and hates it now. IT used to be my love, my passion. Guess I'm fortunate to realise it after 4 years. My mentor in IT just recently gave up in the IT s/w region. He is now just working for money, all his passion is now going back to treating IT as a hobby, passion.

My advice to you is, get out of it.
    With a degree in Computer Science, I guess I dun think I have much of a choice.

Guess it is quite open now that IT line has no life. One interviewer actually asked me if I am willing to work overtime daily and even weekends. He told me even if I dun have to work in the office during weekends, I am most likely spending it reading manuals/documentations at home.

There is a say " Work smart, not work Hard"

For me, I don't believe in working smart. Smart as in boot-licking kind of smart. For me, I come on time, leave when next shift take over. So, after 7 yrs, still the same position.

Other will send small reports by emails, complain this and that but when call back for last minute OT, all become taichi master. I kenna a few last min call back and even stay for some extra hours after night shift due to no ppl coming for next shift. In the end, no promotion, small increment etc...

Think time for me to go. Having a family now, can't depend on shift too much. Govt want us to make babies mah. Sometime got to blame urself been working in a bad company lor.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon
    With a degree in Computer Science, I guess I dun think I have much of a choice.

Guess it is quite open now that IT line has no life. One interviewer actually asked me if I am willing to work overtime daily and even weekends. He told me even if I dun have to work in the office during weekends, I am most likely spending it reading manuals/documentations at home.
    I've this kind of interviews before. OT is something that a lot of IT firms believe in. Because they believe OT will help them produce work and get things done. To me OT is not a solution, it's a problem.

Sadly, OT is now the norm for everywhere, especially IT. And there are 'foreign' expats that do OT like nobody's business. Spoilt market? Your call.

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM
    There is a say " Work smart, not work Hard"

For me, I don't believe in working smart. Smart as in boot-licking kind of smart. For me, I come on time, leave when next shift take over. So, after 7 yrs, still the same position.

Other will send small reports by emails, complain this and that but when call back for last minute OT, all become taichi master. I kenna a few last min call back and even stay for some extra hours after night shift due to no ppl coming for next shift. In the end, no promotion, small increment etc...

Think time for me to go. Having a family now, can't depend on shift too much. Govt want us to make babies mah. Sometime got to blame urself been working in a bad company lor.
    Oh I know what you mean, I've also done OT, tried explaining to the other team that my codes are correct, they refuse to believe me just because it runs on my machine and the integration machine but fails at the UAT machine. Turns out, they never update the DB values on UAT. Wasted my time, stabbed behind me to my boss claiming it's my fault etc etc blah blah.

Garment wanted more kids of course, but they aren't in our shoes so it's definitely easy to say (oops, I hope I don't get deregistered because of this comment).

I ever once type this out in the internal messaging system.

--

OT = No life = Bad family life = Unhappy family = Unhappy Worker = Lousy quality work = Unhappy boss = Unhappy Job = Unproductive = More OT

*start from beginging again add "More" to it.

--

Only 2 people replied one is my technical lead, he said "How true", another Chinese colleague replied me private saying "Oi.. u dun do OT is ok, but don't pull the moral of others."

HAHAHAHA... pull moral of others... it must be true to hurt.

Sadly OT is the norm. Bosses don't see that long term OT & planning OT for timelines only create more trouble. A lot of IT s/w house just fail to see that.

I would highly recommend people read "Peopleware - Productive Projects and Teams", especially team leads and managers.

OT is like sprinting. It's OK near the end of the race to do a little to try and meet a deadline, just like sprinting to the finish line. But to do it as a matter of policy from the start is just plain crazy - you're productivity will suffer badly - more hours are put in, but actually less productive work is being done.

My company want to save this n that until I give up on claiming cab fare n take bus instead.

I also work in IT line but we work in shift n pair. So, our OT is to cover up someone who is on leave/MC. I always wouldn't be getting the OT when last min one unless my partner cannot make it. I seem like a backup, sometime really fedup till want to reject n let them headache. But for the sake of making more $ (for my hobbies ), got to do lor.

I thought I might get promotion this year as I work hard on it. In the end, nothing, even increment lesser than the year before. But I still work hard, maybe this is me. On Feb 14th, I was on leave and was call back becos all play dirty games. One of the team got one swapped (to cover me), the other MC. In the end, NO one want to come back and one of them even ask who is going to pay for his mileage if he has to swap to work on the day. In the end, I LL lor, come back n work. Should have rejected my manager by saying I am at JB. Anyway, learn the lesson liao, next time don't agreed so fast else am the one who suffer.

Even got promotion next year, still wouldn't be resigning. Too much back stabber liao, time to go. I know another company also got back stabber but see how lor. If luck is there, maybe lesser n more promotion.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

wow i guess the working world is tough...
    last year my friends bro got an offer as in investment banking, he was so happy because its the highest paying job a fresh grad can have.. literally about US$100K a year, fresh grad...

i hear abt it i osso

then after he work for about a year, he quit...

it maybe US$100k a year, but too siong. 80-100 hour work weeks on avg, everyday work from 9am-12am, overnighter are common(24 hours working), and he even pull off a 48hour shift before.

that "Dream" job osso turn out to be siong.

i guess there is really no shiok job out there..

or is there?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry
    I would highly recommend people read "Peopleware - Productive Projects and Teams", especially team leads and managers.

OT is like sprinting. It's OK near the end of the race to do a little to try and meet a deadline, just like sprinting to the finish line. But to do it as a matter of policy from the start is just plain crazy - you're productivity will suffer badly - more hours are put in, but actually less productive work is being done.
    Not only that, they need to do proper management studying also, a lot of these s/w houses are just in for the boom only to worry deadlines can't be met.

OT is fine, but there should be a cap. I was asked to OT from 9am to 9pm, Mon-Fri, 11am-6pm on Sat, from SEPT 04 till FEB 05 whereby take a break 1 week for CNY and carry on OT till further notice. Of course .|. to my PM & Boss.

I'd go with Xtreme Programming's rules, max 2 weeks OT, break for 2 weeks, MUST go home on time when not on OT.

The OT starts from start is because the management just plans the timeline without consulting the developers and assumes it can be done. No proper planning of manpower, resources and for this co, BEST, requirements are still on the gather after 1.5 years into the project.

Till now, I'm still gathering requiremetns. Wonderful and they signed off even before the requirements were gathered.

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM
    My company want to save this n that until I give up on claiming cab fare n take bus instead.

I also work in IT line but we work in shift n pair. So, our OT is to cover up someone who is on leave/MC. I always wouldn't be getting the OT when last min one unless my partner cannot make it. I seem like a backup, sometime really fedup till want to reject n let them headache. But for the sake of making more $ (for my hobbies ), got to do lor.

I thought I might get promotion this year as I work hard on it. In the end, nothing, even increment lesser than the year before. But I still work hard, maybe this is me. On Feb 14th, I was on leave and was call back becos all play dirty games. One of the team got one swapped (to cover me), the other MC. In the end, NO one want to come back and one of them even ask who is going to pay for his mileage if he has to swap to work on the day. In the end, I LL lor, come back n work. Should have rejected my manager by saying I am at JB. Anyway, learn the lesson liao, next time don't agreed so fast else am the one who suffer.

Even got promotion next year, still wouldn't be resigning. Too much back stabber liao, time to go. I know another company also got back stabber but see how lor. If luck is there, maybe lesser n more promotion.
    Careful... the last time my Co wanted to save $ here and there, ended up retrenching the USEFUL people and did silly things like cobverge phone lines to be shared, REMOVAL of water cooler, asked us to boil water using a LARGE tank, squeezed office space out and.... oh well you get the pic.

Just work and be happy, my rules still stands, as long as there's 2 out of three of the following, good enough for me:

1) Job satisfaction
    2) $
    3) Working relationship

I've none of the above in my current Co already.

Quote Originally Posted by thomaschan
    wow i guess the working world is tough...
    last year my friends bro got an offer as in investment banking, he was so happy because its the highest paying job a fresh grad can have.. literally about US$100K a year, fresh grad...

i hear abt it i osso

then after he work for about a year, he quit...

it maybe US$100k a year, but too siong. 80-100 hour work weeks on avg, everyday work from 9am-12am, overnighter are common(24 hours working), and he even pull off a 48hour shift before.

that "Dream" job osso turn out to be siong.

i guess there is really no shiok job out there..

or is there?
    It's not really tough, it's just ridiculous. OT is expected, unrealistic plannings, and best, it's the BRAINLESS people that get to the top and plan all sort of crazy things, you folks don't want to hear about some banks and how they plan their projects. You'll probably want to withdraw all your cash very fast.

There's no prime/best/great job, but at least my 2/3 above criterias are matched, I'd be happy enough.

Deregistered

Project went live, in a mess. Lots of problems arising... oh man.. am I glad I'm leaving soon.

Everybody seems to have gotten their salaries for March, I still haven't gotten mine yet.

Wonder if it's because of my quitting they wanna withhold my salary. Bad... real bad.

Project went live, in a mess. Lots of problems arising... oh man.. am I glad I'm leaving soon.

Everybody seems to have gotten their salaries for March, I still haven't gotten mine yet.

Wonder if it's because of my quitting they wanna withhold my salary. Bad... real bad.
    Congrats..you finally can get out...hope it is to a better "ship"...I was in the IT ind once but managed to jump out...it is defintely not for a family man like me....

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin
    Congrats..you finally can get out...hope it is to a better "ship"...I was in the IT ind once but managed to jump out...it is defintely not for a family man like me....
    I want my Mar pay... everybody else has it... why not me yet??? What games are they playing..

This really reminds me of my ex-company... The only surviving reason there was the $$$ were constant, but you get crap working environment and even more crappy management. The useful and knowledgeble people were "chased" out as they clash more with the senior mgr (who know nuts but good at smoke grenades, last hear still at the company)... Those not good ones, but take all the sh*t and pander to the ego, gets prefered status, till they are not longer of use, then they get crap... Some even got demoted because no longer of use mah - then they will leave, giving them a new chance to recruit new people to make use of lor.... Funny thing was that the fellow did not try it on me... Maybe because of the interview I gave when the fellow took over - you want respect, you can only earn it - no other way!!! The other could be that they got no chance to crap on me as I was technical better than the rest...

Thank goodness I left when I got chance.... Except that the only complain now I have is that my reimburstment is 2 months late!!!! I had to use "poking" method to get my last year's AWS (like "is there a cashflow issues that I have to worry about of the company"....)!!!! The dilema I have is... I am seconded to another company where I am enjoying my work - well, except for some idiotic customers and co-workers.... This has been a great job... But damn, the reimburstment process is so bloody cumbersome and late!!!!!

I want my Mar pay... everybody else has it... why not me yet??? What games are they playing..
    Yoz bro, sad to see your company like that.. If the company delays your pay too much, u can make a complaint to MOM. They should be able to help you.

IT Industry is really on a cut throat competition nowadays... I know as I'm also in this industry for a while and worked with some big companies too. Got quite fed up with some of the local companies' way of working, that's y I came out and work freelance instead... At least I can slack when I have no work.. hahha..

All the best to you and yr next job.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234