Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72

Thread: Mia/awol

  1. #41
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    And ya, it was fun helping out at the IT Show even though I was not paid, it's fun doing MOs as I meet people and share what I know on photography with them. It's definitely more fun than IT.
    i do agree with this, sometimes it not being paid or not.
    helping out in this way/s, aleast got satisfaction.

  2. #42
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poohbear
    I think it's all back to the reality that it's still about the bread. Micheal brudder , if the salary part is what makes you hesitate to quit , i'll understand, coz i'm one of them too. Very often in singapore, people wouldn't enjoy their work all because of stress.... haiz ....
    Yes, I know. But too bad still have 10K worth of debts to pay off Nikon j/k. It's very stressful working in SG, especially when my 'foriegn' counter parts are working like sh!t/dog (read: 10am-11pm). It shows badly on the local SGeans and bosses tend to benchmark work on such unholy hours.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Wah seriously I think all software house are like that !!!.
    15 years ago it was like that and now I hear the same story again, it seems like it never will change. I have long ago give up on software house.
    I take it that not many will survive in a software house but usually take it as a stepping stone to learn and come in contact with various aspect of IT.
    If you are in a software house try looking for a job working for end users (the bigger ones who can pay of course) instead and put your knowledge into good use to benefit your employer. Now you will be at the other end talking to software house and know all the tricks.
    Yes, I was a bit tooooo late in seeing through the market & SG. Now I've wisen up. Thanks Dennis

    Quote Originally Posted by DeadPixel
    I know your pain but the only thing now is to bear with it until you can get out, preferably to a non-local company. Changing industries isn't really recommended unless you're really, really good in another field or really, really lucky.

    I used to work for a local software house too and after about two years of relative success, everything went downhill when the MD (I still believe it stands for Mad Dog) made a royal mass of a potentially lucrative tander. Of course every one else was to blame but him and the first to get it was the GM, who was his good friend. The GM quitely left but for the next 1.5 years I was with the company, the MD would badmouth him every other week and blame every problem we faced on him. Sheesh!

    After that, the place became hell. Sales dwindled (we can guess who really brought in the bacon), the MD became suspicious of everyone - he would listen in on our phone conversations on parallel lines, pay & CPF were late, staff left - his personal assistant and accountant left with a day's notice during audit and paid no compensation as we never got our 13th month.

    Moved to another local company whose executive director was a real forward looking person but whose younger brother and MD of the company (did I say I believed it stood for Mad Dog) was a skirt chasing, brain-dead, IT impaired, buffoon who almost bankrupt the multi-million dollar company.

    Well, after almost 20 years of hits and misses, I'm now with an MNC that happily fills the three conditions you mentioned and if there's one thing I learnt in all those years is that 90% of the management staff in local homegrown companies suck. I've been three years here and have yet to see any backstabbing, brown-nosing or finger-pointing. Everyone does their job and take responsibility for their actions.

    Still, if I could do it all over again, I would have stood my ground against my parents and went ahead with photo-journalism in Uni instead of being pushed into IT. Must remember not to push my kids into anything (except the swimming pool).
    OH BELIEVE ME, I DO!!!! I've exactly the same sh!t as you before, I know exactly HOW SH!TTY it can be. So this scene has started from 20 years ago. Sigh. I'm so dead.

  3. #43
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    I would like to offer a piece of advice...... :P

    espn: seriously consider whether you want to go ahead and look for greener pastures. Once a company starts delaying salary payment (esp in your scenerio), there is a likelihood of future defaults. Understand the difficulty in finding jobs and would like to believe that the company will keep its promise in paying the future salaries on time.

    Ask around what are the help available regarding non-payment of salary. Do not let the salary accumulate. It's really your decision.

    why should listen to me? Lets just say I have come across many incidents like yours. *btw, I am not instigating anyone to quit!*
    Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    espn: yeap, there is no reason to stay. there is no company loyalty these days besides whats on your contract.

    look at it this way, if you stay on , you're wasting whatever time you could put towards a new company to build a career/work experience for promotion.

    when a company defaults on pay and demands mandatory overtime, its a loser company. I suggest you even talk to MOM about it, especially when being late with cpf payments. that fact that they can hire loser people on top of you that can't do anything at all means that they don't have a cash flow problem but just want to abuse/milk employees.

    in otherwords, if you stay you do yourself a disservice, there is no need to badmouth the company, just leave and that's that.
    Hi Slim/loupgarou,

    It's not that I don't want to leave the coy, but frankly, won't anywhere else be the same? Everything will just become a vicious cycle.

    At this point of time my mind is more or less made up. My letter shall go tomorrow. I can only hope for the best because I really don't know what to look forward to. Every job I went I had a slight increment, every thing was well at the start, but as deadlines pressed, everything changed again.

    I'm just too sick and tired of the way s/w houses work. Am looking at MNCs or probably do something not too indepth into development. Support, hardware would be great.

    Really don't know why I let myself get abused, my ex-ex-tream lead asked me thru ICQ, why am I still there, I told her, it's because I want to finish up my work before I leave, but from the way I see it, it's a stupid idea.

    I should have left when I had the chance. D@mn it, why am I so stupid. Sigh.

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Hmmm another guy has gone MIA from my company.

    No news, nothing. Sigh... should I do the same? Every month late pay up to 3 weeks, late CPF, I leave at 6pm boss say I leave EARLY.
    depends on what you were doing before 6pm.

    If you were busy browsing CS the whole day, clocking 10K plus of response , chit chat, taking long coffee break and come to office at 10 AM then of course I would say leaving at 6pm is way too early.

  5. #45
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by romeobravo
    depends on what you were doing before 6pm.

    If you were busy browsing CS the whole day, clocking 10K plus of response , chit chat, taking long coffee break and come to office at 10 AM then of course I would say leaving at 6pm is way too early.
    Hahaha.. definitely I'm browsing CS, clocking 10K of posts a day is nearly impossible however.

    If I don't chit chat, don't take long coffee break, don't go to office late, leaving at 6 is still early? Apparently so.

    There are foreigners that come in at 10am, go MIA till 12, then go for lunch, come back MIA again till 3, appear for 10 mins then go MIA till 6, then appear and then 'work' until 9pm. Guess this is the sort the boss likes. Doesn't matter what you do between, it's what time you leave office.

    For me is very simple, I get my job done, I don't care what time I go home as long as it's after official hours.


  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Global Village
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    There are foreigners that come in at 10am, go MIA till 12, then go for lunch, come back MIA again till 3, appear for 10 mins then go MIA till 6, then appear and then 'work' until 9pm.
    Hmm.. so this is how our foregin talent work huh? No wonder I didn't get that fat pay package, that promotion, the chio office chick, the fat beer tummy ... sigh.

  7. #47
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    Hmm.. so this is how our foregin talent work huh? No wonder I didn't get that fat pay package, that promotion, the chio office chick, the fat beer tummy ... sigh.
    You want those stuff? Just appear at 10, it's a sign to the boss you worked late the night before, and go home at 11 after sending out a email to everybody.

    Go figure

  8. #48

    Default

    Its not foreign talent who do that . Local talent also do that . Its a matter of work smart not hard. Some local talent even worse . !!!


    that why i also quit the game. Tender my resignation wednesday.

  9. #49
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arowana
    Its not foreign talent who do that . Local talent also do that . Its a matter of work smart not hard. Some local talent even worse . !!!


    that why i also quit the game. Tender my resignation wednesday.
    I'd agree with you on that.

    I think I need to work overseas or in a different culture. Here too hierachial already.

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Global Village
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arowana
    Its not foreign talent who do that . Local talent also do that . Its a matter of work smart not hard. Some local talent even worse . !!!
    that why i also quit the game. Tender my resignation wednesday.
    As the saying goes, if you can't fight them, join them! If the going gets tough, the tough goes "shopping". Hahaha..

    Guess not everyone has the courage to throw in the resignation letter. Bravo! clap clap clap
    Last edited by eric69; 18th March 2005 at 01:21 PM.

  11. #51

    Default

    been waiting for far too long. Sometimes the more you think , the more hesitant you become. Life is short , just enjoy.

    Go go go .

  12. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I'd agree with you on that.

    I think I need to work overseas or in a different culture. Here too hierachial already.

    just do what you heart tell you bro.

    No point doing what you dont like .


  13. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Hi Slim/loupgarou,

    It's not that I don't want to leave the coy, but frankly, won't anywhere else be the same? Everything will just become a vicious cycle.

    At this point of time my mind is more or less made up. My letter shall go tomorrow. I can only hope for the best because I really don't know what to look forward to. Every job I went I had a slight increment, every thing was well at the start, but as deadlines pressed, everything changed again.

    I'm just too sick and tired of the way s/w houses work. Am looking at MNCs or probably do something not too indepth into development. Support, hardware would be great.

    Really don't know why I let myself get abused, my ex-ex-tream lead asked me thru ICQ, why am I still there, I told her, it's because I want to finish up my work before I leave, but from the way I see it, it's a stupid idea.

    I should have left when I had the chance. D@mn it, why am I so stupid. Sigh.
    I'm sure things will turn out juz fine!

    Actually my bro is IT as well. He has juz changed from one organization (which I believe is more stable except no increment, bad management) to a small S/W house (but with pay increase). Hearing him talk about his working hours do make me worry a bit. Hope his boss don't exploit his service too.

    Anyway, good luck in finding your new job!

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    997

    Default bad signs

    Pay cut, pay delay are bad signs. Save yourself before it's too late . I was in the same sitation 2 years back. Got sick of that company and just quit without any job offer. Luckily my friend overseas offered me a small project. Then another local company instead of hiring me offered me a job in freelance basic. Just when I completed these jobs, got offer from a MNC. I won't say it's perfect here, but when comes to salary and benefits this company never disappoint anybody.

    I wish you all best

  15. #55
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    I'm sure things will turn out juz fine!

    Actually my bro is IT as well. He has juz changed from one organization (which I believe is more stable except no increment, bad management) to a small S/W house (but with pay increase). Hearing him talk about his working hours do make me worry a bit. Hope his boss don't exploit his service too.

    Anyway, good luck in finding your new job!
    I hope so too!! All the best for your brother, IT nowadays is not a stable thingie, it's necessary but so exploited. Everything is about deadlines, not the right way of doing things.





    Quote Originally Posted by Caussway
    Pay cut, pay delay are bad signs. Save yourself before it's too late . I was in the same sitation 2 years back. Got sick of that company and just quit without any job offer. Luckily my friend overseas offered me a small project. Then another local company instead of hiring me offered me a job in freelance basic. Just when I completed these jobs, got offer from a MNC. I won't say it's perfect here, but when comes to salary and benefits this company never disappoint anybody.

    I wish you all best
    I've already tendered, so will probably take a break and choose my next job carefully, I think I won't be in a hurry to jump in without looking at the next job. Just quite sick of stupid lousy management and exploitations, I know nowhere's perfect, but I just ask for a place that's not sucky, that's all.

    Another 28 more days to go.

  16. #56
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I've already tendered, so will probably take a break and choose my next job carefully, I think I won't be in a hurry to jump in without looking at the next job. Just quite sick of stupid lousy management and exploitations, I know nowhere's perfect, but I just ask for a place that's not sucky, that's all.

    Another 28 more days to go.
    Congratulation (not sure if this word is appropriate)

  17. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I've already tendered, so will probably take a break and choose my next job carefully, I think I won't be in a hurry to jump in without looking at the next job. Just quite sick of stupid lousy management and exploitations, I know nowhere's perfect, but I just ask for a place that's not sucky, that's all.

    Another 28 more days to go.
    Good for you

    If you're still considering IT, avoid software/applications development. They're all about deadlines and compromises. Security/Network/Systems/Communications are more stable and you tend to get treated with more respect and in some cases, like a god or devil

    Good luck.

  18. #58

    Default

    wah, this brings back "bad" memories. Did 2 lifecycles as lead. Deadlines, constant changes, unit testing, regression testing...like big nightmare

    luckily that time not exploited pay wise. Pity u man espn.

    my life is now so much simpler, focus on infrastructure in MNC . what's your skillset, maybe can look out for something over in my co.

  19. #59

    Default

    This thread is making me worried. I will be graduating soon and most likely entering the IT line.

  20. #60
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel
    Good for you

    If you're still considering IT, avoid software/applications development. They're all about deadlines and compromises. Security/Network/Systems/Communications are more stable and you tend to get treated with more respect and in some cases, like a god or devil

    Good luck.
    I'm considering IT, but I'm looking at something more routine, 8-5 or 9-6 kind. I'll just do some other sidelines to make that extra cash for other purposes. I just don't want to depend on IT as my main ricebowl anymore. See how, maybe even jump out of IT and start a forum or something.




    Quote Originally Posted by knoxknocks
    wah, this brings back "bad" memories. Did 2 lifecycles as lead. Deadlines, constant changes, unit testing, regression testing...like big nightmare

    luckily that time not exploited pay wise. Pity u man espn.

    my life is now so much simpler, focus on infrastructure in MNC . what's your skillset, maybe can look out for something over in my co.
    Last time still ok, now I spotted a major problem in the system, pointed it out... the best reply is "from last time until now, cannot do anything". My senior PM, TL and the respective problem TL never reply to my problem. Ok lor. So be it. Today ask me how's the progress I told them can't do because of the problem faced. I will just let the system die as is.

    IT is not what it seems to be anymore.



    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon
    This thread is making me worried. I will be graduating soon and most likely entering the IT line.
    I don't mean to depress you, but if you can, switch lines. IT sux. That's from a person that has been working in IT for 4 years and hates it now. IT used to be my love, my passion. Guess I'm fortunate to realise it after 4 years. My mentor in IT just recently gave up in the IT s/w region. He is now just working for money, all his passion is now going back to treating IT as a hobby, passion.

    My advice to you is, get out of it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •