Thread: "Tuned" (WB Corrected) Ambient with Gel-ed Flashes?

Default "Tuned" (WB Corrected) Ambient with Gel-ed Flashes?

Hi seniors and sempais

I am very curious to find out

Is it possible to do WB Correction, after using Gelled Flash to shoot/fill the subject, then "correct" the subject's WB to "true" colors and pushing the ambient/background into weird weird color zone (because of the WB correction done ?)

I wonder if anyone has tried it yet?

I have done a search for this but all i got were Want to Sell Ads.
    Apologies to mods if this is not the correct subforum.

Thanks

Shizuma
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Yeah works perfectly fine, though usually people then see it as a mistake - I.e. the subject is lit by flash and is "correct" but the background is all yellow because it actually uses tungsten lighting.

You could use colored gels to totally "enhance" that, though I would suggest shooting in raw.
    Alpha

Default Re: "Tuned" (WB Corrected) Ambient with Gel-ed Flashes?

when ambient is 3200k, and your flash is 5600k, you shoot with flash, you get daylight balance on your subject and tungsten balance for your background, there is no way to balance both at the post,

so when you gel your flash, is the bring the WB of your flash down to 3200k or close, so you set your camera WB to tungsten, or shoot RAW correct in post, you will have both subject and background are in similar WB.

what is your real question?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    when ambient is 3200k, and your flash is 5600k, you shoot with flash, you get daylight balance on your subject and tungsten balance for your background, there is no way to balance both at the post,

so when you gel your flash, is the bring the WB of your flash down to 3200k or close, so you set your camera WB to tungsten, or shoot RAW correct in post, you will have both subject and background are in similar WB.

what is your real question?
    He wants to bring subject and background even more out of sync. Think blue flash gel in a tungsten room, etc
    Alpha

Think if TS wanted a different colour for the background, would probably suggest use colour gel to create that colour. I think it would definitely come out nicer and more appealing than leaving it to be the "original weird weird WB". And probably viewers can straight away know that the colour was intended instead of mistook it for incorrect WB? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post
    Think if TS wanted a different colour for the background, would probably suggest use colour gel to create that colour. I think it would definitely come out nicer and more appealing than leaving it to be the "original weird weird WB". And probably viewers can straight away know that the colour was intended instead of mistook it for incorrect WB? Just a thought.
    I am referring to maybe a situation like this, and whether it is possible (or if it is, whether it is artistically desirable or worth it?) :

I put a gel on my flashes, eg, orange . I illuminate/fill my subject with the flashes, at an outdoor location, eg, outside MBS, where the background is natural daylight.
    Assume I shoot in RAW.

Now I adjust the image white balance to reflect the "correct" or "real" white balance for my subject, so that red on subject (before flash, to my eye) appears red on screen, etc etc.
    When I do this, would the background and ambient color get adjusted away from "natural daylight" because they aren't illuminated by the gel-ed flash?

I think sempai Rashkae got the idea of what I am asking...(and thank you for you input, too!)
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    When I do this, would the background and ambient color get adjusted away from "natural daylight" because they aren't illuminated by the gel-ed flash?
    Yup, the background would become a cool blue
    Alpha

I think you are referring about something this article/video is talking about: The Red Hallway Trick: Using a Colored Gel to Spice Up Your Background

Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]