Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do editors look for?

Default What do editors look for?

Today ST reports on the by election. One photo shows all the flags flying nicely whilst another all rolled up. I noticed sometimes they also like to shoot politician in distorted position that reflect them not at their best. Very different from wedding photography.

So in shooting such photography, what do we want to capture? How to be a good photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Today ST reports on the by election. One photo shows all the flags flying nicely whilst another all rolled up. I noticed sometimes they also like to shoot politician in distorted position that reflect them not at their best. Very different from wedding photography.

So in shooting such photography, what do we want to capture? How to be a good photographer?
    They are suppose to make all look bad but one.....

It is politics, not about photography anyore.
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

Default Re: What do editors look for?

Art as propaganda.
    That being said, Obama had a really good team of photographers.

A good news photographer shoots images in the style which his editor tells him to (from the editor's political bosses) . And to heck with morals and truth and principled, ethical reporting
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    A good news photographer shoots images in the style which his editor tells him to (from the editor's political bosses) . And to heck with morals and truth and principled, ethical reporting
    how many of you all shot editorial before? just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
    They are suppose to make all look bad but one.....

It is politics, not about photography anyore.
    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    Art as propaganda.
    That being said, Obama had a really good team of photographers.
    All so true. Perception is king!
    Nikon & Leica

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Far far away View Post
    All so true. Perception is king!
    the 2011 elections, coverage was a lot more extensive for the opposition party than the previous occasions, with the latest being 2006.

missteps made by ruling party were highlighted in press reports, something almost unheard of before 2011. WP was given very good press weeks prior to pooling day, especially chen show mao who had many column inches written about him, portrayals generally sympathetic.

from derek da cunha's book.

on my own observations,things have become a lot more balanced and equal in recent years, a really big shift. reports try to make things as fair as possible already. and its not easy to get shots in such events. even the latest byelections, all quite neutral already imho.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 17th January 2013 at 07:38 PM.

priest. states times and the Nude Paper carried photos of narrow- Tele of opposition politicians on stage and omitted the wide angle images of huge crowds.

conversely the States Times and Nude Paper carried wide angle shots of all 250 chicken rice eaters who were bused in from all over.

he who has brain, let him think !
    he who has poop, let him stink !
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Blog Entries

priest. states times and the Nude Paper carried photos of narrow- Tele of opposition politicians on stage and omitted the wide angle images of huge crowds.

conversely the States Times and Nude Paper carried wide angle shots of all 250 chicken rice eaters who were bused in from all over.

he who has brain, let him think !
    he who has poop, let him stink !
    wa you say until you like very smart liddat. tell me about how many of the straits times photographers have you met/interacted with? or the editors? have you actually seen, and cut out newspaper articles to keep track of coverage? or are you just another keyboard warrior?

cunha has copies of the 2006 election news from ST, to compare with 2011 and it was conclusive. i've met and talked to a few of the photographers and i can assure you the news is trying to be as neutral as it can be.

also, consider how the images will look like with the wide photos. ever thought about how it would look on a spread?

imagine a headline like this: "CSM says XXXXX", and you throw in a photo of a wide field of a rally shot from some roof of some HDB.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 17th January 2013 at 08:31 PM.

I've never associated good photography with local papers.

IIRC, those famous shots were from 2006, not 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I've never associated good photography with local papers.
    Totally agree. I do not recall much great photo from stink times. But national geographic is diff..... it is like heaven n hell....

in my opinion, the newspaper coverage of the By-Election was too covered up.

i mean, shouldn't they show more skin?

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    in my opinion, the newspaper coverage of the By-Election was too covered up.

i mean, shouldn't they show more skin?

Yes... I agree... please show us how you do it first.............

Totally agree. I do not recall much great photo from stink times. But national geographic is diff..... it is like heaven n hell....
    LOLZ.
    One is a photographic magazine that sells itself with the quality of its photography. Natgeo photogs probably have the GDP of a small nation in their photographic budget.
    The other is a daily newspaper that sells itself on the quality of its reporting (some of you might dispute the "quality") and has the be printed and delivered on time.
    Very good comparison.

Aiyo..

The two are very different leh...

Don't talk about the genre, focus, budget, intended audience all that. I would naturally expect a monthly publication to have a better selection of content, be it articles, pictures or editorials, compared to a daily newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos-
    Aiyo..

The two are very different leh...

Don't talk about the genre, focus, budget, intended audience all that. I would naturally expect a monthly publication to have a better selection of content, be it articles, pictures or editorials, compared to a daily newspaper.
    Like that newspaper just get all the ah soh and ah pek to shoot using iPhone can already lor. Why bother to use DSLR and hundreds of shots and can't even choose a decent one?

Like that newspaper just get all the ah soh and ah pek to shoot using iPhone can already lor.
    It's called Stomp.

Like that newspaper just get all the ah soh and ah pek to shoot using iPhone can already lor. Why bother to use DSLR and hundreds of shots and can't even choose a decent one?
    Monthly publication expected to have better quality content compared to daily newspaper --> Get ah pek ah soh to shoot with iPhone.

Hmm. Since Pungol East BE is coming soon, why don't you go shoot it and see if you can get better shots than the ST/NP photogs?
    Can I see a "Challenge Accepted" meme?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast