Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's Why You'll Never Get a Good Nighttime Starfield Shot in Singapore.

Default Re: Here's Why You'll Never Get a Good Nighttime Starfield Shot in Singapore.

That is an awesome pic ArchRival! In addition to sharing them in clubsnap, could you consider sharing them in the Singapore Astronomy Forums (SingAstro • Index page) too?
    Last edited by astrosg; 6th February 2013 at 02:01 AM.

Default Re: Here's Why You'll Never Get a Good Nighttime Starfield Shot in Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchRival View Post
    To give an idea, this was shot at Jurong West. 4x4 minute exposures throught broadband light pollution filter.
    70mm at f/4, camera was a Canon 400D.

4 minute exposures how come no star trails har? You using an equatorial mount?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    4 minute exposures how come no star trails har? You using an equatorial mount?
    Yes. A simple german equatorial mount was used.

may i ask which part of JW was the shot taken?

Quote Originally Posted by syc77 View Post
    may i ask which part of JW was the shot taken?

Inspired by ArchRival, I took the following shots of Orion's Belt last night using my IR mod D90 and the 70-200mm @ 200mm... then stack them using DSS... Not Hubble quality but I am happy with this initial attempt...

A noisy M42...

Time to invest on an equatorial mount??? Hmmm....

Arrow Re: Here's Why You'll Never Get a Good Nighttime Starfield Shot in Singapore.

The Orion Nebula has a wide dynamic range. To get the entire 'bat shape' of the nebula, the area around the trapezium stars will be over exposed. Solution is either do a range of exposures or use a true 16 bit camera. But to get the outer H2 regions in sg.....ho ho ho, good luck. Not going to be easy at all.

Using a 200mm on a crop sensor is an ok choice for Orion Nebula, but for things like Lagoon or Trifid, the image will be too small.

M42 + M43, taken with Canon 70-200 F4L with broadband light pollution reduction (IDAS) filter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12