Thread: Help: where to get slides cleaned?

Default Help: where to get slides cleaned?

Heyo,

My dad dug out some really old slides (taken before I was born.. )
    Unfortunately, its got fungus. Wondering if there's any slides cleaning service in singapore or does anyone know of a method to remove the fungus?

help help

Quote Originally Posted by hptay
    Heyo,

Unfortunately, its got fungus. Wondering if there's any slides cleaning service in singapore or does anyone know of a method to remove the fungus?

help help
    Hi,

I suspect your Dad is about my age. Have a few thousands of slides taken in the 70's. When I retired last year, tried to clean these slides. Nothing seems to work. Eventually resorted to digitising them and 'repairing' it using graphic software. The problem is fungus is they eat into the emulsion.

LCL

oh no
    My dad is in his late fifties. Guess i will be the one
    digitising the slides then. Any advise on slide scanning?
    I currently have a HP scanner, no negative attachment though.
    Will any scanner surfice...

which reminds me... have tonns of old photos to digitise as well.
    :sweat

Heyo,

help help
    The guy at Camera Hospital told me regular ammonia based cleaning solution, such as those for cleaning windows, will work.
    I have not tried. Has anyone tried and succeeded?

As for scanning slides, you need a dedicated slide / film scanner if you want good quality. Flatbed scanners, even with slide adaptor, not very good.

Otherwise send to Fotohub. I find the scans at OUB Centre and Beach Road -- former RGB -- to be good.

In fact, some slides with fungus turned out ok, fungus cannot be seen. Don't send to regular photo processing places that offer scans. Quality is terrible.

However, still be prepared to do photoshop adjustments for brightness, colour balance etc and to clean up imperfections.

It is a lot of work but you end up learning a lot as well.
    You might also end up appreciating slides

Try asking Ruby Photo for some cleaning solution. One guy there told me about some liquid for cleaning the film. Not sure whether they have what you needed.

oh no
    My dad is in his late fifties. Guess i will be the one
    digitising the slides then. Any advise on slide scanning?
    I currently have a HP scanner, no negative attachment though.
    Will any scanner surfice...

which reminds me... have tonns of old photos to digitise as well.
    :sweat
    HPTAY,

Sounds like we have the same problem. The dif is I created my own headache. HaHa.

I now use two methods - Had HP scanner (dieded). Epson perfection 1200 with adaptor with built in white light source. Can do max 4 slide at one go. Also use a F828 with adaptor (and DIY light source). Flat bed scanner is very slow. If you have a lot - camera method is much faster. Controlling colour temperature will be by trial and error. Results from both are decent.

HP scanner method looks possible with DIY rig - Place slide in a cut out (made from card board) on scanner. Place flourescent light source 3 to 4 cm directly on top of slide.

Happy sliding.