Thread: Where to stay in Bangkok

Default Where to stay in Bangkok

Hi there,

Will be heading to Bangkok for a getaway.

Can anybody provide some tips on hotels, district to stay, shop or food.

Thanz.

hi, i just went to thai sometimes beginning this yr..it was my 2nd time there...i really enjoyed it because the place is fun, lots to shop, food there is cheap and delicious, esp the jap food..and not forgetting the authentic thai food...yummy yummy..
    i hv attached a copy of the schedule that i planned myself and used during my trip to thai...just for your reference..

Bangkok Trip 2002

Day 1 (17.01.2002)
    ==============
    8:30pm - Check in airport
    10:25pm - Flight off to BK

Day 2 (18.01.2002)
    ==============
    7am - Breakfast
    8am - Dreamworld
    Four-faced Buddha at WTC
    Traditional Thai massage (Silom Hatasart - it's a good place but difficult to locate, otherwise u can go to other nearby massage parlor. Normal price range = 400-500bht)
    Dinner - Room Service (food in hotel is pretty good and not ex)

Day 3 (19.01.2002)
    ==============
    7am - Breakfast
    8am - Chatuchak (shld go there as early as possible, it's a huge market place, and will take hours to shop around)
    12pm - Solfitel Hotel (Japanese food)
    1pm - Shopping (not in sequence, cos they are very far from each other, so plan which shopping center before u head off)
    Pratunam
    Emporium The Mall (Phrom Phong)
    MBK
    Siam Square
    8pm - Dinner at Chinatown (shark fins and bird nest, a must)

Day 4 (20.01.2002)
    ==============
    7am - Breakfast
    8am - Shopping (last minute shopping)
    MBK
    World Trade Center
    12pm - Check out hotel
    3pm - Check in airport
    5:20pm - Flight off to Singapore

PS: All time is in SGT.

ohhh btw, i stayed in Bangkok Palace (1st time) and Sol Twin Towers (2nd time)...both hotel are so-so...i would want to try Pathumwan Princess the next time when i'm there...cos next to that hotel is the famous huge shopping center MBK

baiyok sky ( once the tallest in asia ) around 80 sgd, but worth the price. goto the rooftop and take some pix for all of us

Default just got back from there!

hello

i just got back from there twice in the past three weeks. first time, i stayed in a guesthouse on khao san road. not a bad place to be, really. many cheap places to stay in, but there are some hotels as well (buddy lodge, viengtai hotel, etc). also, the place is just "happening" most of them time! many travellers park themselves there for a few days to soak in the activity. the street itself is also one big market at night time (so if you want to stay in a fairly quiet place, you might want to choose the guesthouses within khao san's alleys).

i also got to stay for a while in a hotel in chinatown. it was a modest hotel, but i wouldn't recommend it for the fact that it was in chinatown - the traffic there was horrible almost *all* the time!

for shopping, i definitely agree that you should NOT miss the weekend market, Chatuchak (open only on sat. and sun.). officially, they open at 10am, but you can get there at 8am with some shops open already and a lot of breathing space. it gets really crowded towards noon and after. you can even get there via skytrain (very helpful against bangkok's amazing traffic jams). you should also pay Mah Boon Kroong (MBK) a visit.

if you end up staying in khao san, please try the Tom Yam Goong at Tom Yam Kung restaurant. definitely something you shouldn't miss!

for tourism, definitely visit the grand palace and wat phra kaew (in the same compound), but if you'd rather visit a temple that doesn't have as many people as wat phra kaew gets, then visit the nearby wat pho (where the reclining buddha is housed).

take a ride on the skytrain and see more of bangkok and its rooftops.

there's just so much you can do there!

oh just be careful about tuktuk drivers -- sometimes they will tell you that a certain temple is closed for that day and that they will take you to some other open temple or buddha (when in fact they will try to bring you to some shops where they get commission and stuff).

oh there are maps at the airport also.

Thanz a zillion shaan, akhildoegar n que lynn for the generosity of yr tips.

Will try to stay in Baiyoke or Pathuman Princess.

I can forsee myself in Bangkok walking around with my nose buried in the hard copies of yr recommendations oredi.

Que Lynn, did you go there for work or pleasure???
    Twice in the past three weeks is amazinnnng....

Que lynn u were backpacking?

I interested to know the charges, probably go down backpacking with frens late this year.

By the way how much for the flight back to singapore?
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

alba and sbs99,

went there for pleasure

for the first fourday-fournight trip, i took an airplane with friends, reserved a room in one of the guesthouses on khao san road (new joe guesthouse) via email, and stayed in bangkok for a total of only one and a half days (the rest was spent being on the road and being in koh samui)

two weeks after that, i had four days of vacation to kill and read in the lonely planet singapore book that i can take a bus to hat yai, and then to bangkok. so i did. that was a bloody long trip to be just sitting in a bus, so i decided to take a plane ride home. the cost was... quite expensive because it was a sunday, and all the cheaper airlines were already full.

on the second trip was when i got to explore bangkok's traffic a bit more. went to a few more temples, to chatuchak market, to the floating market, to the ancient city, to MBK, pratunam market, nailert market, and a few streets and markets of which i cannot recall the names.

wow, if you are staying in baiyoke sky, that's just awesome! the view must be spectacular. that building just sticks out way above the city's skyline (or at least the buildings beside it).

next time, i think i will be trying the rail trip to bangkok! at least those have sleeper berths.

Thanx!
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |