Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Budget photographer needed for event

  1. #21

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    Hi wakaowalao, (what a very long name)

    I have to admit that I feel helpless to stop what you deemed, like many others, exploitation of a fellow photographer.
    However, no matter how much we ask the TS to stop and admonish her for encouraging her friend to find a cheap solution here.
    The unfortunate truth is that there can't be a restriction placed here, for example, if you want a photographer for $X/hour, you are not allowed to post here.
    We can only change people mindset's via our own area of influence, be it big or small, by declining these jobs and educating them one person at a time.
    It seems that you think otherwise of my intentions (or I'm misreading you), but let's move in our different ways to change the landscape.
    i observe moments in life
    www.petertan.co

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peterpanda
    Hi wakaowalao, (what a very long name)

    I have to admit that I feel helpless to stop what you deemed, like many others, exploitation of a fellow photographer.
    However, no matter how much we ask the TS to stop and admonish her for encouraging her friend to find a cheap solution here.
    The unfortunate truth is that there can't be a restriction placed here, for example, if you want a photographer for $X/hour, you are not allowed to post here.
    We can only change people mindset's via our own area of influence, be it big or small, by declining these jobs and educating them one person at a time.
    It seems that you think otherwise of my intentions (or I'm misreading you), but let's move in our different ways to change the landscape.
    Hi Peterpanda (same nos of alphabets as mine)

    I know where you're coming from but no one is suggesting a restriction on price because there will always be jokers looking for loopholes and simply rephrase their intention w/o stating their actual rates.

    By saying you can't stop these exploitation is however an added advantage to these cheapos simply because they know they are one less hackcare voice. Aren't you a member of this forum? Aren't you also promoting your services here too?
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

  3. #23

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    Hi wakaowalao,

    Yes i am a member, though not so active, and will be promoting my services here in the near future.
    I have PM-ed you separately to continue our discussion. Think sooner or later, moderator might move this elsewhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    Hi Peterpanda (same nos of alphabets as mine)

    I know where you're coming from but no one is suggesting a restriction on price because there will always be jokers looking for loopholes and simply rephrase their intention w/o stating their actual rates.

    By saying you can't stop these exploitation is however an added advantage to these cheapos simply because they know they are one less hackcare voice. Aren't you a member of this forum? Aren't you also promoting your services here too?
    i observe moments in life
    www.petertan.co

  4. #24
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    taken from another forum...
    3 hours only 300+ photos still not enough ar? waaa power.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 15th January 2013 at 01:27 AM.

  5. #25
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    Quote Originally Posted by peterpanda View Post
    Hi wakaowalao,

    Yes i am a member, though not so active, and will be promoting my services here in the near future.
    I have PM-ed you separately to continue our discussion. Think sooner or later, moderator might move this elsewhere.
    Should just discuss here. Even if we move this thread anywhere, you can still discuss here. I, for one, am interested in your opinions on this matter.

  6. #26
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    the best way to deal with cheapo people is just simply tell them "NO, I won't do it", or "Sorry, I'm not able to help you on this" and walk away.


    these people don't need the photos, they just want it for free or for cheap, and if you say "no" to them, that won't affect them, they will just go find another sucker, or rise their budget or give up.

    let's face it, photography is not a necessity for most people, is just a "want", is a luxury item, the only photo you must have is your passport photo, even for that, ICA tell you that you can DIY,

    so don't think so highly about yourself, thinking that you charging very cheap is helping people, in fact you're just giving cheapo people opportunity to exploit you and your fellow JUNIOR photographers.


    You will stand up for your family members if any of your family members being treated unfairly at their workplace, even foreign workers and domestic helpers can approach MOM for help if they have be treated unfairly.
    and why must photographers be treated worst then the rest? and who can you seek help from? NOBODY! you have to help youself.


    So, my fellow photographers, where is your dignity? show some self respect, and also show respects to your fellow photographers, say "No" to cheapo customers.
    Last edited by catchlights; 15th January 2013 at 01:38 AM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #27

    Default

    To be honest, the business is not usual here anymore.. I think it needs to do something to improve the image of site and educate the photographer . There is nothing much you can do to the client.
    Let me propose a system to benefit all and reduce the insulating to the photographer. Don't forget it is better to brainstorm to make the system better...
    (1) all the wanted advertisement goes through the Admin
    (2) admin will decide the minimum rate ( like $50 per hour as we need to give change to those starter)
    (3) all the job bid must goes through CS as the direct contact of the client is not revealed in the thread
    (4) if a job goes through, CS takes certain commission as CS need resources to do all these
    (5) To avoid bidding to look cheap, every bid by photographer will charge depending on the amount of the project like $10 for wedding
    (6) from the CS part, do more advertisement and promote the site . And give assurance that only quality photographer are here
    (7) then add in feedback session for client

    Add more later

  8. #28

    Default

    (8) add in one more session for Charity which is free and only for charity
    (9) money refund to client for unprofessional photographer, and does all the funny things to spoil the event

    I suggest to contribute more points so that if the CS really want to bring the good image , he can consider all our concern and feedback

  9. #29

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    3 hours only 300+ photos still not enough ar? waaa power.
    I think because the mummy "only" received 128 edited photos. I'm actually amazed that the 1st photog gave the 1st mummy 250-300 photos in 2 hours?! To me that might be all about quantity (snap shots) and no quality (expressions/emotions/story-telling). Personally I feel 128 "quality" photos for 3 hours looks ok. What do you all think?

  10. #30

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    Quote Originally Posted by kayaboi View Post
    I think because the mummy "only" received 128 edited photos. I'm actually amazed that the 1st photog gave the 1st mummy 250-300 photos in 2 hours?! To me that might be all about quantity (snap shots) and no quality (expressions/emotions/story-telling). Personally I feel 128 "quality" photos for 3 hours looks ok. What do you all think?
    Cheapo parents who ask for too much. Cheapo services that gave bullshit attitude.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

  11. #31
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    to open for more in depth discussion, I move this thread from service wanted to Photo Biz.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  12. #32
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    For kids birth party photography,
    All I can say is there are plenty demands, but only handful willing to offer a decent price for photography.

    if you do some research, you will know those venues offer kids birthday party package, with providing entertainment and F&B to cater to 30 kiddos, ranging $400 to $800.
    so do you think how many parents willing to spend $500 or more on photography alone?
    how about $300?

    $200?

    $100?

    and I know somebody charging $50 per hour to shoot birthday party, and when they unable to take the assignments, they farm it out for $37.50.

    so now you know why there are such thing happening in the post #16.

    and you can see customers have no idea who are these people shooting their events, customers think the photographers are professionals, because these photographers currying a DSLR and paid to shoot.


    so people, think carefully, if you are not happy with the pay, please don't take.
    If you take, than behave ethically, don't disgrace yourself and the photography community
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  13. #33

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    3 hours only 300+ photos still not enough ar? waaa power.
    This clearly shows the case of wanting quantity and not quality which totally illustrate one of catchlights's points below:

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

    these people don't need the photos, they just want it for free or for cheap, and if you say "no" to them, that won't affect them, they will just go find another sucker, or rise their budget or give up.
    Inferiority Complex Behavior Signature: A900.D3x.M9..I have this and that blah blah...

  14. #34

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    I honestly don't see the problem with photographers offering their services at very low rates and consumers asking for photography services at low rates.

    Using the airline industry as an example: even within the industry there are 'normal' airlines and 'budget' airlines, both offering their services at very different rates. When consumers opt for the 'budget' one, they should know that they cannot expect the same kind of service provided by the 'normal' one. In this case, both the consumer and the service provider are willing parties.

    Sure, some may raise the argument that 'budget' photographers may offer very crappy services and the photos turn out unsatisfactory, but these can easily be mitigated by taking a look at the photographer's portfolio before deciding to engage his/her service.

    And also, to redeye: i have seen you offering your services to people asking for $200 for the entire event (from Services Wanted section). So what's wrong with a $100+ one? Is the price difference really that marked? Your actions seem to contradict your words.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    Don't give this demand, supply crap. It was you who said you are damn aware that it's not the correct practice BUT still decided to go with it. Mastermind is at fault, you as the abetter are no less guilty. FYI, it was people like you who "helped" turned CS into a find-cheap-free-shooters forum for others. Don't hide under a new nick pretending. KMA.
    I did not say that it isn't the correct practice; in fact, I see nothing wrong in doing so. I only said I know what the market rate is for engaging the services of a professional photographer. However, my friend made it clear that he does not require a pro to do the job, just someone who can take photos.

    Why do you call the demand-supply model crap? It is a theory oft-used in the study of economics. The price of a commodity is decided by the intersection of the demand and supply curves.


    Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    FYI, it was people like you who "helped" turned CS into a find-cheap-free-shooters forum for others. Don't hide under a new nick pretending. KMA.
    And what is wrong with this? There are people after quality (regardless of the amount they have to pay), and there are people more budget-conscious as well. I offer cheap services, yet my clients like my work. There, so long as both the photographer and the client are willing parties, I don't see the problem.

  16. #36
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Budget photographer needed for event

    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •