View Poll Results: which focal length would u choose?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50mm-100mm

116 58.88%
  • 100mm-150mm

60 30.46%
  • 150mm-200mm

10 5.08%
  • 200mm above

11 5.58%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best focal lengths 4 portraiture to give flattering resultant perspective?

Default Re: Best focal lengths 4 portraiture to give flattering resultant perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by YSLee View Post
    Thread necromancy ftl
    Thread necrophilia you mean?

Rashkae made a valid technical point. Nothing at all connected to racism.

There should be better awareness of equipment, subject matter, technicalities and what racism is, and isn't.

Traditionally, and in 35 mm terms, 85mm - 110mm, as dictated by the legions of portrait shooters around the world for many decades.

In modern times, almost anything goes, but generally what I notice happening is that many prominent (and not so prominent also) fashion, glamour and portrait shooters (in the US) are gunning for longer lengths - a 70/80-200/210 seems 'standard' these days, and also commonly used are 300 and 400. Yes, you will see two teams - photographer on one end, and model and assistant with walkie talkie on the other.

Now, the questions is "WHY"?
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 29th May 2009 at 06:30 PM.

Default Re: Best focal lengths 4 portraiture to give flattering resultant perspective?

i find 85-100 on a crop sensor would do nicely for head shots. 300 and 400 sounds overly overkill, and pretty silly, if i may add without offending anyone.
    1 Camera Body and a couple lenses.

It's more of the limited range of lens available in earlier 35mm film days... in a full frame 35mm perspective for prime lens:

50mm is around a human eyes point of view..

85mm, 105mm & 135mm do not have any distortion of features and can provide nice DOF and bokeh. anything above 135mm can also be used but kind of overkill...

below 28mm, 28mm, 35mm are wide angle lens which tends to distort features especially near the edges.. these are commonly used for portraits with scenic background, etc for a different feel.

Since "flattering" has not been defined, and there's no option for multiple choices, I would say that a skillful photographer could get flattering portrait results with anything from 10/12 - 400 mm. Seriously.

Blog Entries

it depends on the subject
    there is no magic formula

i believe 85mm on FF.

Personally, i would rather use a 70-200 for outdoor use to get smooth bokeh and a very creamy out-of-focus background.
    For indoor use,I would rather an 85mm f1.4 or 135mm/105mm f2 DC.
    For a limited budget, get an 85mm f1.8/2 or macro 105mm f2.8

Everytime there is talk of a telephoto lens that flattens perspective I think of this

600mm f4

Here is the photo.net article from which the pic was lifted

Ryan

Hehehe...see my description above. Man, that's an old photo! That was the photo of the 'seksi' legged photographer with his team of assistants on the other end with the model that I was referring to.

Ya man I read that article some yrs back. Think it left an indelible scar somewhere in me

Donch buff ... which did you like best? The hugging shorts, the smooth legs, cut-off tee, wrinkly smile or the flourescent neoprene shoes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123