View Poll Results: which focal length would u choose?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50mm-100mm

116 58.88%
  • 100mm-150mm

60 30.46%
  • 150mm-200mm

10 5.08%
  • 200mm above

11 5.58%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best focal lengths 4 portraiture to give flattering resultant perspective?

i terms of distortion, 80-105 mm will be nice...

but in portaiture, i feel that there are no hard and fast rules la.....anything that works simply works...

cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto
    The longer the focal length, the more flattering to the feature. But you might have to shout to get the model to understand what you want .
    I am not quite sure if this advice is correct.

All lenses gives distortion.

A face shot with a wide angle lens makes the nose "big" and the rest of the facial feature recedes.

But a tele lens compresses features, so flattening noses! The general statement that "the longer the focal length, the more flattering to the feature" is misleading!

Yo... don't forget that a 80mm for a MF camera could give different results from a 80mm lens for 35mm films. Specify your format.

Quote Originally Posted by yaoxing
    Yo... don't forget that a 80mm for a MF camera could give different results from a 80mm lens for 35mm films. Specify your format.
    And a 80mm for 4x5 camera will be vastly different from a 80 mm in a medium format!

Quote Originally Posted by student
    And a 80mm for 4x5 camera will be vastly different from a 80 mm in a medium format!
    80mm for Medium Format 6x6 is approx 50mm...
    So use a 150mm lens if you shooting Medium Format??

the longer the better..typically anywhere 200mm and more, w.r.t fullframe

Depends on your environment. In fashion shows, i now chose to use a 400mm for 1/2 body portraits and a 70-200 for full body shots. Only problem being that the 400mm at f2.8 (in order to have more light in) is not very forgiving if your af is off by even the slightest. Nice effects though. In general, a 70-200 on any DSLR should suffice though.

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    Depends on your environment. In fashion shows, i now chose to use a 400mm for 1/2 body portraits and a 70-200 for full body shots. Only problem being that the 400mm at f2.8 (in order to have more light in) is not very forgiving if your af is off by even the slightest. Nice effects though. In general, a 70-200 on any DSLR should suffice though.
    I have no interest in fashion shows and don't do fashion. But if you can enlighten me please. When you mentioned Fashion shows, I take it to mean that the models are parading on a "walkway" or something like that. So to get a close shot, a long lens is probably a must, unless you are so close!

The question is, for a half body portraits, would you prefer to go closer with a say 120mm lens, or 400mm lens and a little further off? If you have the choice, that is. Yes I understand the background blur will be different. For esthetic reasons, which will you prefer?

i prefer the long lens because of background clutter. Usually, when using a long lens, you shoot while the model is still close to the artificial background hence it is nice and even. Whereas when the model is closer, the composition of the photo's background might be cluttered. I believe it has something to do with the pincushion effect of telephoto lenses although i might be wrong. I'm just guessing from personal experience.

Default Re: Best focal lengths 4 portraiture to give flattering resultant perspective?

For me it's just 50mm regardless whether on FF or cropped.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Default Re: Best focal lengths 4 portraiture to give flattering resultant perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyy View Post
    As some people had pointed out above that best portraits lens are usually the 85mm, 105mm and 135mm. The main reason is that with a telephoto lens, the background will blur more when you are using a lower aperture like F2.8, F4, etc.

IMHO, prime lens will give you better bokeh compared to a zoom lens like 80-200mm, etc.
    Hihi.
    Have heard the above statement that 'long lens will give more background blur at large apertures'.

Just wondering, does that mean that if I use a 85mm at f1.8 (say around 6m away from subject), I will have a shallower depth of field compare to using a 50mm at f1.8 (this time closer to the subject, say about 4m away)? If so, why is that the case, since both are at f1.8?
    Or, will the background bokeh be the same for both?

Thanks. Newbie here, sorry if the above question sounds noobish.

Quote Originally Posted by AMediaLuz View Post
    Hihi.
    Have heard the above statement that 'long lens will give more background blur at large apertures'.

Just wondering, does that mean that if I use a 85mm at f1.8 (say around 6m away from subject), I will have a shallower depth of field compare to using a 50mm at f1.8 (this time closer to the subject, say about 4m away)? If so, why is that the case, since both are at f1.8?
    Or, will the background bokeh be the same for both?

Thanks. Newbie here, sorry if the above question sounds noobish.
    Wow... who dug up this old thread??

Anyway, YES.

at the same aperture, the longer focal length will produce more bokeh. If you have a long zoom lens (70-200 type), just take it out and practise at something at almost the minimum focusing distance with different focal lengths. You'll see the effect very prominently...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Thread necromancy ftl

i think 85mm is nice on DX and 105mm for FX
    picture perfect

nope. 50mm for DX, 85mm for FX is better

I'd take the 50 for DX as well, and a 105 on film (no FX for me yet...too ex)

Depends if I'm shooting Asian people or caucasian. For asians, a longer focal length is more flattering. For caucasians, the perspective from a wider lens, like 50-85, is more flattering.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Depends if I'm shooting Asian people or caucasian. For asians, a longer focal length is more flattering. For caucasians, the perspective from a wider lens, like 50-85, is more flattering.
    1st time heard of lens choice depending on race or nationality think you should be talking about facial features instead...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewtansj View Post
    1st time heard of lens choice depending on race or nationality think you should be talking about facial features instead...
    *shrug*
    There are distinctive facial features. Caucasians tend to have a more pronounced nose and deeper eye sockets. So, in your terms, "asian facial features" vs. "caucasian facial features"

Not being racist, so get off your high horse. Some people are far too sensitive and can't see things objectively.
    Last edited by Rashkae; 25th March 2009 at 02:03 PM.
    Alpha

Paralysis by Analysis... If it works then it works.

50mm all the way for me baby.
    Loslos...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast