Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Canon Kit Lenses

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Serangoon Nth
    Posts
    352

    Default Canon Kit Lenses

    Hi,

    Just a personal experience regarding Canon's Kit lens - specifically the 28-90mm f/4- 5.6.

    I know Canon's kit lenses have always been the butt of many people's joke. Yes, the lens are not all glass, not much coatings and extreamly light-weight in build. However, don;t start selling or giving them away...yet.

    When I use my 28-90mm kit lens for B/W, the result is really great. I like the grainy B/W type so the 'low quality' of the lens really brings out the rawness of the image. I know the grainyness can be controlled during processing but using the kit lens really helps.


    I have compared it with using my Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and the result is not the same. The image is too 'clean'.

    This is just my perosnal taste....or the lack of it

    Anyway, just a thinker to anyone who is thinking of selling their kit lens for S$20.

    DT

  2. #2

    Default

    The MTF for the EF-S 18-55mm is pretty good - better than many other zoom lenses in fact (this from looking at the Canon EF Lens Work III book).

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caras
    The MTF for the EF-S 18-55mm is pretty good - better than many other zoom lenses in fact (this from looking at the Canon EF Lens Work III book).
    If I am not wrong, dreamtheatre is using film camera. So digital lens like 18-55mm dun work with film


    I think you can get 2nd hand 28-105mm USM for a good start
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Serangoon Nth
    Posts
    352

    Default

    whoa Megaweb, you very preceptive

    Actually, my purpose to post this is just to let people know that every equipment has their reason for existence. No one equipment is totally good or bad. Just depends on how you decide to use them.

    Like Jimmy Page once said, when he use an effects processor, he don't want to know what it is supposed to do, but what it is NOT supposed to do.

    DT

  5. #5

    Default

    The 28-90 is really a pretty decent lens. I've shot an event once with this lens, indoors with flash. My settings were f/5.6 - f/6.3, 1/125s and ETTL flash. The results were really very good for such a cheap lens, in fact, with 4R-5R prints it was probably as good as the 28-105USM.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Serangoon Nth
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sriram
    The 28-90 is really a pretty decent lens. I've shot an event once with this lens, indoors with flash. My settings were f/5.6 - f/6.3, 1/125s and ETTL flash. The results were really very good for such a cheap lens, in fact, with 4R-5R prints it was probably as good as the 28-105USM.

    GOOD! Well done sriram Always admire folks who squeeze out as much value as they can from 'cheap' stuffs.

    I was physcoed during the early days when I first got into AF photography. Lotsa comment about how soft, lousy kit lenses are. Well, just glad that I woke up from it and realize it now

    I totally agree, with 4R to 5R prints, it dosen't matter what lens you use. Anyway, as long as the exposure and composition can relate to the theame, you don't need a L lens to create meaninful photos.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamtheatre
    whoa Megaweb, you very preceptive

    Actually, my purpose to post this is just to let people know that every equipment has their reason for existence. No one equipment is totally good or bad. Just depends on how you decide to use them.

    Like Jimmy Page once said, when he use an effects processor, he don't want to know what it is supposed to do, but what it is NOT supposed to do.

    DT
    great ! look forward to see your shots ...
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Serangoon Nth
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megaweb
    great ! look forward to see your shots ...
    No prob, just PM me if you wanna meet up. I really like to show my pics and get feedbacks, it is the best way t learn.


  9. #9

    Default

    i've always like my 28-80 kit lense...it's not perfect, not too clean, and it produces those soft to sharp portraits, which i like. That's y...i still havent thought of replacing it...mayb when it get screwed up, then i'll replace it.
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

  10. #10

    Default

    maybe u lucky got a good sample

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    maybe u lucky got a good sample
    being lucky is also important in buying photographic equipment mah...so that no need to go back to the shop and replace it...he he he.
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamtheatre
    Hi,

    Just a personal experience regarding Canon's Kit lens - specifically the 28-90mm f/4- 5.6.

    I know Canon's kit lenses have always been the butt of many people's joke. Yes, the lens are not all glass, not much coatings and extreamly light-weight in build. However, don;t start selling or giving them away...yet.

    When I use my 28-90mm kit lens for B/W, the result is really great. I like the grainy B/W type so the 'low quality' of the lens really brings out the rawness of the image. I know the grainyness can be controlled during processing but using the kit lens really helps.


    I have compared it with using my Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 and the result is not the same. The image is too 'clean'.

    This is just my perosnal taste....or the lack of it

    Anyway, just a thinker to anyone who is thinking of selling their kit lens for S$20.

    DT
    I must agree that the lens is pretty good. Have been using it for walkabout and landscape shots. Also have used it for portraits and macro (attach an extension tube). Although sometimes the pictures don turn out so good (which is probably bec I still quite an amateur:P), the good ones must say are really impressive.

    Till now still using!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    hmm, i can't complain here...
    been using my kit lens for yrs already...
    even now change to 10D from old eos 88,
    am still using e same kit lens..

    suits me for most purposes... hehe

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Serangoon Nth
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Great , it's really nice to know there are some of us that are proud of our kit lenses.

    Got some funny looks one time when I borrowed a friend's EOS 3 and mount it with my 28-90mm f/4~5.6. I was shooting with b/w.
    anyway, it din bother me, it's my photo so I preetty do what I want with it, shoot it how I want , use what I want

  15. #15

    Default

    anyway canon kit lenses are quite sharp also heres one from the 18-55 kit lens that comes with 300D, 350D and 20D:


  16. #16

    Default

    zhangyb,

    You have a nice portrait there.
    You bend low when taking this shot ??
    The girl tilt her head in a nice angle and the kind of look
    she gives you is v well captured. hehe...

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Serangoon Nth
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zhangyb
    anyway canon kit lenses are quite sharp also heres one from the 18-55 kit lens that comes with 300D, 350D and 20D:


    Wha....nice

    No PS done?

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamtheatre
    Wha....nice

    No PS done?
    yar only resizing done on the image, very cute kid, i was squatting when i took the shot and so happened she tilted her head as well

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •