Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 97

Thread: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

  1. #1
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,128

    Default SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    Hi bros n Sis out there

    We all are passionate about photography ? - YES !
    People who work in Camera Stores are like us, enthusiasts and sometimes pro's doing sideline work - YES !

    Please SUPPORT your Camera Stores and fellow photographers ( their staff ) IGNORE the internet when you can get it from the stores direct.

    WHY You ask ?

    Cause this may happen :

    The UK's biggest high-street camera retailer, Jessops, has gone into administration, putting 192 stores and 2,000 jobs at risk. The company's website is not accepting orders and administrator PricewaterhouseCoopers has said vouchers and returns would not be honoured at present. The company, that has been slow to respond to competition from internet retailers, was rescued in 2009 by HSBC, which bought into the company in return for writing off some of its debts. However, increasingly stringent credit terms imposed by suppliers (a common move when there is doubt surrounding the future of a company), and predictions of further falls in camera sales led to the administrators being called.

    The move follows the collapse of the country's (UK ) largest independent photographic chain, Jacobs, in June 2012.


    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01...administration
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  2. #2

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    When there is no internet last time the store earning big time and become very greedy so customers at their mercy. Now customers have more choices if you do business the dinosaur way you got to dine out eventually

  3. #3
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,128

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    Camera stores have not earn big time on Camera, Lens, Flash.... only on assc.

    Do you know major stores ( TK and SLR ) here in SG are lucky to make $40 - $$60 profit on a D800..... Cathay may make $80 - $150 profit on a D800

    Margins in Camera stores on major hardware are some 2.5% - 8% :0 its been that way for over a decade....
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  4. #4

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    I find that your plea is lacking a strong argument.. brick and mortar stores also have their own internet storefront nowadays

  5. #5

    Default

    Wherever offers me the best price i will support.

  6. #6

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    Will they support you if you lost your job and had to struggle to make ends meet? In the changing world, those who fail to adapt will be left behind.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,128

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    [QUOTE=snowc;8299523]Will they support you if you lost your job and had to struggle to make ends meet? In the changing world, those who fail to adapt will be left behind.[/QUOTE]



    Yep true bro.
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,128

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    I find that your plea is lacking a strong argument.. brick and mortar stores also have their own internet storefront nowadays
    Not a plea.... just sharing All can make there own choice........ wait 10 years and you'll just have Harvey Norman ( aka : Hardly Normal ) to buy cameras from
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  9. #9

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    The only enemies for stores are competitors and land lord.
    Competitors force them to lower price and land lord increase rental.
    Both of them decrease the profit margin.
    I eats, shoots & leaves

  10. #10
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    Quote Originally Posted by Yutaka Go View Post
    The only enemies for stores are competitors and land lord.
    Competitors force them to lower price and land lord increase rental.
    Both of them decrease the profit margin.
    and good for us.

    i wish we could have the same for our public transport system sigh. i still miss my student pass.

  11. #11

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    and good for us.

    i wish we could have the same for our public transport system sigh. i still miss my student pass.
    I wish the same for our telecom companies too

  12. #12
    Senior Member Cheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    I live in a haunted house!!!!!
    Posts
    16,385

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    hahahahahhaa


    lowest price wins lor!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,128

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    Quote Originally Posted by devilry View Post
    Btw, harvey norman quoted me better prices than tk foto, ms colour, slrr, cathay photo, alan photo, john for canon 70-200 f2.8 v2, canon 1d mark iv, canon 580ex ii, canon 100mm macro L, and yes, i m a regular customer of harvey norman for big ticket items.

    Dont make fun of harvey norman, they easily offer prices Better than the so called big local cam stores - have u negotiate prices in harvey norman before??? Even if all the local stores die, its ok,since their pricing are NOT as good as harvey norman.

    one of our so called good local shop in funan lagi worst - went in to buy canon 70-200 f2.8, then the shopkeeper gave me one set which he box has tonnes of scratches, then went open box, the lens wasnt sitted properly in styrofoam, then the plastic wrapper super messy, the lens itself has a lot visible dust on lens surface, the lens itself has dust bunnies inside - then i asked for another set, the shopkeeper black faced me KNS

    on the second box, the box is ok, styrofoam and plastic wrapper is ok, but when i looked at the base of the lens where it connects to the camera, the black velvet lining is peeling off !!! and there is a 5 cent patch floating at the rear!!!! then i look at the person & ask him wat is this?? he ask me go other shop buy KNS

    its so darn obvious that both are used lens but yet the shop is selling as new!!!

    then i went harvey norman, the lens & packaging is totally perfect, lens is sharp and best of all its $60 cheaper!!!
    did i also mention their service is great???

    now u laughing at harvey norman??? u sure need better justification
    Yeah negotiate many a thing..... 2.5k+ lens cant make it.... 6k+ cam bodies cant make it.... 4k+ cam bodies also can't make it.... 3x 64gb men cards also can't.

    Not laughing either....

    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  14. #14
    Senior Member oracle0711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Settling down in Punggol
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    WWW has become a reality of life. Customer experience will one day be almost equate to digital experience. Survival of business needs to flow with time and in this context, it means brick and mortar retailers will have to evolve and offer online shopping option in order to retain their customers. No point asking for support for reasons such as saving jobs there is no lifetime employment in today's competitive landscape.

  15. #15
    Member milez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    437

    Default

    You don't have to worry too much for local camera shops. There is no Amazon, no Adorrama, no BH photo here to snare their customers away. Only eBay whose price usually has shipping charges attached to it.
    Sad as I am about the situation here, brick & mortar are here to stay for a long time to come. Because nobody wants to add 7% to their purchase online if the gov decided to get tough.

    Btw, Asia's Amazon equivalent - Zalora could be a force in the future. If they can get their reputation and pricing right.
    E-M5 | O12-50 | O45/1.8 | P14/2.5 | O40-150 R | O17/1.8
    Metz 32CT7 | Flux Capacitor

  16. #16
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    Quote Originally Posted by milez View Post
    You don't have to worry too much for local camera shops. There is no Amazon, no Adorrama, no BH photo here to snare their customers away. Only eBay whose price usually has shipping charges attached to it.
    Sad as I am about the situation here, brick & mortar are here to stay for a long time to come. Because nobody wants to add 7% to their purchase online if the gov decided to get tough.

    Btw, Asia's Amazon equivalent - Zalora could be a force in the future. If they can get their reputation and pricing right.
    got technogadgets and their grey sets. i personally bought some items there. would recommend the shop for competitive pricing. meetup also avaliable, i get to check the lens until i song then buy.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    behind my camera
    Posts
    2,734

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    The retailers are getting sandwiched between rising rental, tightening of labor market and internet-savvy consumers demanding for price transparency and maximum value. What used to work in the past e.g. high mark-up taking advantage of the lack of price transparency is not as effective in today's Internet age. These brick and mortar retailers need to innovate and transform in order to survive in the next decade. They need to work in improving their customer service and service delivery model to differentiate themselves from the crowd e.g. I think Click! camera has done a good job in this regard with their new customer-centric service delivery model. They should also explore getting on the e-commerce bandwagon as failure to do so could mean losing a substantial portion of the market that is growing rapidly.

    I believe that the smaller retailers who are slow to react to these changing landscape will soon lose its competitiveness and be forced to shut down or bought over by competitors who are ahead of the curve. In other words, I expect that major reconsolidation to take place in the coming few years where we will end up with only a few big camera retail stores and possibly a few small ones catering to niche segments of the market left in Singapore.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,128

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    Quote Originally Posted by ray_stinger View Post
    The retailers are getting sandwiched between rising rental, tightening of labor market and internet-savvy consumers demanding for price transparency and maximum value. What used to work in the past e.g. high mark-up taking advantage of the lack of price transparency is not as effective in today's Internet age. These brick and mortar retailers need to innovate and transform in order to survive in the next decade. They need to work in improving their customer service and service delivery model to differentiate themselves from the crowd e.g. I think Click! camera has done a good job in this regard with their new customer-centric service delivery model. They should also explore getting on the e-commerce bandwagon as failure to do so could mean losing a substantial portion of the market that is growing rapidly.

    I believe that the smaller retailers who are slow to react to these changing landscape will soon lose its competitiveness and be forced to shut down or bought over by competitors who are ahead of the curve. In other words, I expect that major reconsolidation to take place in the coming few years where we will end up with only a few big camera retail stores and possibly a few small ones catering to niche segments of the market left in Singapore.
    very educated comment bro !

    Really agree with this comment also.
    Last edited by Dfive; 11th January 2013 at 12:08 AM.
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    People buy from you because they LIKE you.
    Because your store is convenient for them to go to.
    Because they feel comfortable in the store.
    Because their friends also buy from this store.

    Not because you are the absolute cheapest.

    Different product type will cause different consumer behavior.
    i.e. people buy a house differently from buying a loaf of bread.

    Different nationalities have different consumer behavior.
    My ex-Rolex-salesman friend said in 1980s (Japan was rich then), when Japanese tourists come, if one of them buy...then most of the rest start to buy.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 11th January 2013 at 12:23 AM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: SUPPORT your camera stores... NOT the internet !

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    People buy from you because they LIKE you.
    Because your store is convenient for them to go to.
    Because they feel comfortable in the store.
    Because their friends also buy from this store.

    Not because you are the absolute cheapest.

    Different product type will cause different consumer behavior.
    i.e. people buy a house differently from buying a loaf of bread.

    Different nationalities have different consumer behavior.
    My ex-Rolex-salesman friend said in 1980s (Japan was rich then), when Japanese tourists come, if one of them buy...then most of the rest start to buy.
    This is very true. Price is not everything. Some customers willing to pay premium to get the extra services. Only those who are price sensitive will always choose the cheapest place to buy while the more affluent ones do not mind paying for services.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •