Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by the police

Quote Originally Posted by eric69
    Haha.. It's the same on MRT stations nowadays. Last month, I went backpacking and decided to take the MRT from my place to the airport. This security saw me, the moment I acrossed the gentry, asked me to stop. I was carrying my 45 Litres backpack bag on my back, and a day-pack on my chest. He told he that he wanted to check both my bags. Upon opening my backpack, he asked me to remove the contents from my 45litres bag. I told him he must be joking becos I spent so much time packing them, and I insisted that I won't remove the contents. I guess he got no choice but to just look through my day-pak and let me go. This MRT security is plain crap.
    Speaking of MRT security, I was stopped after I passed the gentry (to board a train) and I was holding a big box. The guy asked me what was in it. I told him it was a doll. He said I could go. I asked him if he is sure he doesn't want to look to make sure and just take what I say at face value. Since he is doing his job - he might as well do it properly right? He reluctantly asked me to open the box and when he found there was another shipper box inside (covering the actual doll box) - he told me its ok and asked me to move on. Yup MRT security is crap indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by radedward
    They just recorded my particulars and told me why they stopped me; because they wanted to know why I was taking pictures in the first place.

Pray hard those whoever VIPs are safe and sound in whatever buildings
    they were in at the time u were there shooting, if not, u will become the
    prime suspect. Haha....just kidding lah

But always hear the saying "in the wrong place at a wrong time".

Quote Originally Posted by radedward
    Didn't really expect to be stopped, probably because, I didn't realise there would be any VIP living there. Rich people, of course but didn't cross my mind that anyone important would be there.
    unfortunately, all the houses with good architecture are in these 'distinguished' neighbourhoods

Guess, I'll just have to content myself with taking pictures of HDB flats.
    Haiz...
    i bet you took some shots of Paterson Edge Condos.

I was stopped by a civil defence officer too. Saw an ambulance and civil defence personnel helping an old man. Thought might take a few pics and try my luck with the total defence competition.

Only took one pic and the officer saw me and approached me and tell me not to shoot as it will get me and them into trouble.

While I understand the situation they are in, it juz makes me wonder how to submit photos for competition under specific categories?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    I was stopped by a civil defence officer too. Saw an ambulance and civil defence personnel helping an old man. Thought might take a few pics and try my luck with the total defence competition.

Only took one pic and the officer saw me and approached me and tell me not to shoot as it will get me and them into trouble.

While I understand the situation they are in, it juz makes me wonder how to submit photos for competition under specific categories?
    i am always wondering why such officers are so sensitive to phototaking?

Lightbulb

many, many moons ago, i was tasked to take some publicity photos at the official residence of x when a visiting Dutch top man met x there. X's bg with his pistol drawn by his side was standing near when i was there.

maybe i have a 'pistol' hidden inside my camera. hehe!

Haha.. It's the same on MRT stations nowadays. Last month, I went backpacking and decided to take the MRT from my place to the airport. This security saw me, the moment I acrossed the gentry, asked me to stop. I was carrying my 45 Litres backpack bag on my back, and a day-pack on my chest. He told he that he wanted to check both my bags. Upon opening my backpack, he asked me to remove the contents from my 45litres bag. I told him he must be joking becos I spent so much time packing them, and I insisted that I won't remove the contents. I guess he got no choice but to just look through my day-pak and let me go. This MRT security is plain crap.
    i suppose this is a no win situation for them. Suppose they had insisted that you unpacked, or refused you entry if you didnt.

Then i'm sure someone (perhaps not you) in your situation would write an entry in some forum or to the newspapers about kiasu security officers making life difficult for us ordinary citizens....

This MRT security is plain crap.
    and I also think that removing dustbins from the train station is crap too!! Goodness!! *shakes head*

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by zha
    and I also think that removing dustbins from the train station is crap too!! Goodness!! *shakes head*
    soon, real policemen will patrol mrt stations for increased security.

hdb safe to shoot,
    think again,
    was stopped when shooting those in sembawang,
    right behind those admiralty's bungalow,
    though not linked.

still that was the police n i can understand,
    try to figure this-

walking towards raffles city,
    along the corridor of SMRT's building,
    like the view, put down my bag to get my gear out.
    before my 300D startup(3secs),
    a security guard appeared from behind n ask what i m doing?

explaination not accepted and he pointed to a sign
    that says 'NO LOITERING'.
    spend 5 mins arguing about 'LOITERING' n going nowhere.
    walked to TIMES,
    came back with dictionary to shut him up
    and continue to shoot,
    longer than i intended though.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim

did he say what kind of trouble for u?

funny that there is a contest to showcase total defence,
    guess CD is not part of the contest,
    military too.

That's why streetshooting is a challenge..You never know what might crop up..
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderlilz
    Speaking of MRT security, I was stopped after I passed the gentry (to board a train) and I was holding a big box. The guy asked me what was in it. I told him it was a doll. He said I could go. I asked him if he is sure he doesn't want to look to make sure and just take what I say at face value. Since he is doing his job - he might as well do it properly right? He reluctantly asked me to open the box and when he found there was another shipper box inside (covering the actual doll box) - he told me its ok and asked me to move on. Yup MRT security is crap indeed.
    I believe this type of security works the same as the one at the airport. They spot people through their body language rather than rummage through the stuff.
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

interesting topic you guys came up with. i must admit i was surprised took this long. anyhow all this happen with no other the osama bin a-hole. after sept 11 that is. there are some places that if you're caught with a camera, the film or your memory card will be taken, some of which are non-military areas. those of you who work in those area know what i'm talking abt.

there was a case where a couple were caught taking photos of a , cough, facility. off course they were in a public space, but where their camera was pointing to was not. the couple were asked to remove the film and they just had to give the guys doing their jobs a hard time, yapping about rights and all. so, procedures have to run. another ..cough.. team came to do a search, a female searched the female, a male searched the male and believe or not, their car when through a thorough inspection. right down to the tissue box where it was opened just to check. and just when the couple, already quiet like a mouse thought it was over, they were invited down to the station for an all nighter lim kopi session. wheather or not they'll be monitored thereafter is another can of worms all together.

so in short, next time if the same happens to you, be smart and coorperate. if u don't know its a secured facility or a sensitive place, will then you'll know. photographers rights is one thing, national security is paramount. if you think that's paranoia, well, they did catch indonesians taking photos of such facilities right?

Quote Originally Posted by judeseah
    hdb safe to shoot,
    think again,
    was stopped when shooting those in sembawang,
    right behind those admiralty's bungalow,
    though not linked.

still that was the police n i can understand,
    try to figure this-

walking towards raffles city,
    along the corridor of SMRT's building,
    like the view, put down my bag to get my gear out.
    before my 300D startup(3secs),
    a security guard appeared from behind n ask what i m doing?

explaination not accepted and he pointed to a sign
    that says 'NO LOITERING'.
    spend 5 mins arguing about 'LOITERING' n going nowhere.
    walked to TIMES,
    came back with dictionary to shut him up
    and continue to shoot,
    longer than i intended though.
    You're lucky. The guy's probably new and overstepped his boundary. What he should do (and many of his colleagues had done), is to photograph/videotape you and your vehicle licence plate (if any) quietly and send for the Police.

Quote Originally Posted by taku1a
    You're lucky. The guy's probably new and overstepped his boundary. What he should do (and many of his colleagues had done), is to photograph/videotape you and your vehicle licence plate (if any) quietly and send for the Police.
    u think he is new? i doubt.
    anyway, that's a walkway provided for people TO WALK.
    its a public place like the old 5 kaki.
    imagine if u r walking along any of those old shophouse,
    the owner comes out and ask u to walk along n don't stop,
    how would u feel?
    i won't like it a bit,
    but that's Singapore,
    as long as its the Garment or its affiliated,
    they get what they want when they want.

if u keen in more SENSITIVE truth stories, PM me.
    lots of them that i can even introduce the 1st party
    involved to u.
    don't get me wrong,
    i appreciate what the Garment has done over the years,
    but with the high pay,
    i don't owe them nothing.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by skyflash
    sometimes, CISCO officers also take train with their sidearms.
    this practice has ceased some time back.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    this practice has ceased some time back.
    Yeap....since 2-3 years ago I think. Ever since someone decided to put a bullet through his brains near my school. Yieks!
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

Quote Originally Posted by huaiwei
    Yeap....since 2-3 years ago I think. Ever since someone decided to put a bullet through his brains near my school. Yieks!
    I believe it's that a 2 suicides, one of which involved a cisco guard shooting his colleague as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    I believe it's that a 2 suicides, one of which involved a cisco guard shooting his colleague as well.
    No lah that murdering of (ex) colleague thing was in Bukit Panjang. The one I was refering to was at the Southeast Asian Institute. One fella rode his bike all the way there to confront his wife...end up shoot himself. Since then, they change the rules liao. No more armed cisco on buses.
    D300s D200 350D | N18-200VRII N18-70 N50 TK12-24 S70-300 TR18-200

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast