Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What did you get from the IT Show 2005?

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    Didn't get anything, cos I don't even bother to visit the show. It's just a trade show where participating companies make money. I'm sure I can get better deals outside, maybe less the freebies. I don't need them anyway.

It's also super crowded which makes my head dizzy.
    actually the participating companies don't really make that much money. it's more like a advert for the companies. the booth rental is very high during the 4 days. i can tell u they need to sell like mad just to cover the rentall, models(some hired), transport, building up the booth and so on. so that's they will not lower down the price until the very last day to cover the cost.

it's more like a hit and run. if they are lucky they will get a new product launch and they will sell like mad. the problem is the stock they are keeping. although they may finish selling their hot item/items but don't forget a participating company don't only sell ONE item. they need to sell a whole lot more......

Got two lexar 1GB cards for some friends in Beijing, and helped a friend to buy an HP laptop and a compact Casio Z40 P&S cam

Joined the Theadmill competition on the 6th floor of Suntec and finished 10k run in 42min 59sec, so only got two sore legs for myself

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    actually the participating companies don't really make that much money. it's more like a advert for the companies. the booth rental is very high during the 4 days. i can tell u they need to sell like mad just to cover the rentall, models(some hired), transport, building up the booth and so on. so that's they will not lower down the price until the very last day to cover the cost.

it's more like a hit and run. if they are lucky they will get a new product launch and they will sell like mad. the problem is the stock they are keeping. although they may finish selling their hot item/items but don't forget a participating company don't only sell ONE item. they need to sell a whole lot more......
    Em...not quite agree with you they don't make much money. If not they won't keep coming back. Yes, they do need to put in a lot of effort, but it'll definitely pay off, cos of the sales and crowd movement.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I got a Nikon T-shirt, a Nikon Umbrella, 4 bottles of mineral water, 1 packet of fried rice, 3 otahs (1 dropped ), 1 curry puff, 2 slices of sponge cake, lots of eye candy and 2 portrait shooting sessions.

But I didn't have to pay for any of it

First IT show I went without spending $
    Woah, how nice. Got things to take home, got stuff to eat!

Envy you leh...
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

All I got out of it was frustration and more frustration with ill mannered folks. What is it about that "herd mentality" Was there on the first day which we not too bad even at 7pm. But when I was there to buy something that I tought was cheap at the fair, the crowd situation was really out of this world. Just trying to walk from the front of the entrance to the back end where you find all those parts and smaller vendors are for the "best prices" items. Well that "walk" took me a good 10mins or more. By the time I got to that area, noitces still so muc people. Q to See. Q to ask fro information. Q to get your item. Q to pay. Q to try to get out of the small booth to get back on the walkway. Then the fight to get out of the place if that is all you want to buy. Good thing for the second trip, I bought some of the pricelist I have download from the web of those shops at Sim Lim SQ. Here's the Kicker!..Prices at Sim Lim was cheaper!!! or same!. After I checked out a few items pricing ( btw I am buying a new PC you see thus have been researcing pricing and techno data) and found them abit more pricey...I fight my way back out of the exhibition. All in 30mins at the IT SHOW. Took a cab to Sim Lim and shop in relative calm and almost uncrowded shopping centre! Better savings too. Example. A Microsoft Natural Keyboard + Mouse ( wireless package) at the fair $99. I got it at Sim Lim for $85.

Em...not quite agree with you they don't make much money. If not they won't keep coming back. Yes, they do need to put in a lot of effort, but it'll definitely pay off, cos of the sales and crowd movement.
    the organisers make money. so that is why they are always back, besides this is a annual thing. nikon, canon and so on nominates on which company will take on which product for that following year. the organising company who put up this show will earn the most money.

the companies who sells the product have to pay a lot for the rentals and so on. and i mean A LOT. there may have a volume crowd but there are not much REAL SALES. If you do go down for the next fair, which will be in Sing Expo, it's the same. one of my friend who use to organise this kinda of fair told me those big names with big booth spends a region of 6 figure at the end of the fair. they have 4 days to sell like mad. it's really pure advert for the companies.

There's definitely profit made on this as they need to meet the minimum returns on investments. So they will push the vendors to sell more but how much they set as their ROI depends, some would set it low as they want to maintain a their presence in the market here.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888
    All I got out of it was frustration and more frustration with ill mannered folks. What is it about that "herd mentality" Was there on the first day which we not too bad even at 7pm. But when I was there to buy something that I tought was cheap at the fair, the crowd situation was really out of this world. Just trying to walk from the front of the entrance to the back end where you find all those parts and smaller vendors are for the "best prices" items. Well that "walk" took me a good 10mins or more. By the time I got to that area, noitces still so muc people. Q to See. Q to ask fro information. Q to get your item. Q to pay. Q to try to get out of the small booth to get back on the walkway. Then the fight to get out of the place if that is all you want to buy. Good thing for the second trip, I bought some of the pricelist I have download from the web of those shops at Sim Lim SQ. Here's the Kicker!..Prices at Sim Lim was cheaper!!! or same!. After I checked out a few items pricing ( btw I am buying a new PC you see thus have been researcing pricing and techno data) and found them abit more pricey...I fight my way back out of the exhibition. All in 30mins at the IT SHOW. Took a cab to Sim Lim and shop in relative calm and almost uncrowded shopping centre! Better savings too. Example. A Microsoft Natural Keyboard + Mouse ( wireless package) at the fair $99. I got it at Sim Lim for $85.
    yep that's right SLS is still cheaper. was at SLS on Friday and Sat. It's like heaven. No crowds and ever so quiet. No Q to pay, No Q to see, No Q to ask, No Q for anything. So much better and don't need to squeeze with the crowd. The best thing it's cheaper than the fair.

Actually fair and exibition basically is for companies to launch their new line of products. since there aren't always that many to launch, the fair itself has turn more like a pasar malam.....an expensive pasar malam. use to be a real steal to purchase products from the fair itself but lately haiz....no diff lei.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    There's definitely profit made on this as they need to meet the minimum returns on investments. So they will push the vendors to sell more but how much they set as their ROI depends, some would set it low as they want to maintain a their presence in the market here.
    rental will never be lowered down as it increase every year. making booths will not lower down. models fees are fixed. not all companies will make a return in their investment, although every companies wants too. setting it low means less return........

and you said "to maintain a their presence in the market here". as you can see that a company is trying to make it known. how to make a company known? thru ADVERTISING. how to advertise? go to exibition and fairs to sell things.
    Last edited by Pro Image; 14th March 2005 at 10:38 AM.

Deregistered

Woah, how nice. Got things to take home, got stuff to eat!

Envy you leh...
    Hehehe... next time... join the DARK SIDE

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    yep that's right SLS is still cheaper. was at SLS on Friday and Sat. It's like heaven. No crowds and ever so quiet. No Q to pay, No Q to see, No Q to ask, No Q for anything. So much better and don't need to squeeze with the crowd. The best thing it's cheaper than the fair.

Actually fair and exibition basically is for companies to launch their new line of products. since there aren't always that many to launch, the fair itself has turn more like a pasar malam.....an expensive pasar malam. use to be a real steal to purchase products from the fair itself but lately haiz....no diff lei.
    ya ... i second that
    was there on sat morning ... never seen sls so quiet ... all the crowd at suntec

i realise the price in sls is the same / slightly cheaper siah ...
    saw a wireless bundle in sls that was a few dollars cheaper than suntec

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    ya ... i second that
    was there on sat morning ... never seen sls so quiet ... all the crowd at suntec

i realise the price in sls is the same / slightly cheaper siah ...
    saw a wireless bundle in sls that was a few dollars cheaper than suntec
    Thats the reason why i dun bother to go to the IT show. Dun want to cramp with those geeky techno nerds. Might as well so SLS and buy.

Run out asap, cos aways rub by MMs. @@

Got the wifi SDIO card from eastgear..had problem setting it up on my IPAQ 2210 and went back. tech guy(dun noe name) was very helpful..tks!

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Hehehe... next time... join the DARK SIDE
    Too expensive for me to switch now lah...if I kenna Toto, that's another story. Will definitely go for 2 systems then.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Thats the reason why i dun bother to go to the IT show. Dun want to cramp with those geeky techno nerds. Might as well so SLS and buy.
    Nerds? Well i saw a good number of aunties....

In so many years of visiting IT shows here....think this one has to be the most crowded and most chaotic one i have ever been to. And not that there were many good deals. Think wat happended was that there were too many events going on at same time at suntec....

got a 2.5 40Gb portable USB harddrive and a jabra headset.

Actually, there are only a few things that will be cheaper when sold during these fairs. They are usually LCD monitors, DVD Media, DVD drives for PCs and printers.

The rest of the products are usually at the same price with more gifts thrown in.

If you go to these fairs, a crowd is expected and as the show progresses through the years the crowds will get bigger. In the early days, it was mostly those IT savvy looking for a bargain, but now every tom, dick, harry, ah seng and ah gao is going down to get a 'good' deal.

I understand the crowd. What I don't understand is how people can bring their small kids and toddlers in prams( !) along to browse the items on saturday and sunday.

Common sense would dictate that you leave the kid somewhere else before pushing through the crowd. There's a reason why there are 2 parents in a family, but whoever said the average human being is big on common sense.

I didn get anything... not even a photo.. ouch...
    i wanted to shoot the canon models.. but for some reason..
    the models for canon this time were damm "dodgy"... =(

and the crowd was horrible... had to walk with care in case some mad crowd was gonna squeeze my cam out of my hands... arghz... geeezz

and the crowd was horrible... had to walk with care in case some mad crowd was gonna squeeze my cam out of my hands... arghz... geeezz
    Gaffer Camera to Hand

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast