Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Upgrading from Canon S95

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6

    Default Upgrading from Canon S95

    Hi everybody,

    Newbie here.

    I am looking to upgrade from my good old Canon S95. This compact has served me very well through many overseas trips.

    Now, I am looking for a fairly portable camera with significantly better image quality. I think the DSLR is just too big for my liking.

    So I am thinking of the Canon G1X which I understand has a much larger sensor.

    Question - Am I right to assume that the Canon G1X would give me much better image quality compared to the S95?

    Any thoughts or suggestions (other cameras even) are most welcomed.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,444

    Default

    You can consider sony rx 100 too.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes, but do note that the af is slow and it's a big, bulky point and shoot. But image quality is great.

    I'd recommend an rx100 instead.
    Alpha

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    Thanks for the suggestions. I will go check out the Sony RX 100 as well.

  5. #5
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    Well... many reviews pointed to the Canon G1X have sluggish AF performance, but some who had used it had said that the AF performance is actually pretty alright, not extremely fast like the mirrorless like the latest offering from Olympus and Panasonic... and the G1X doesn't had a very desirable macro capability.

    However image quality wise, it is almost as good as a DSLR, having a sensor that is even larger than the m4/3 sensor size and definitely bigger than the 1 inch sensor from Nikon 1 series sensor and Sony RX100.

    To say the truth, I would definitely prefer the bigger sized G1X (personal opinion only) and I believe the G1X is going a bit cheaper than the RX100 nowadays... and if you are used to the S95, user interface wise shouldn't be too different with the G1X.

    Do go down to the shop and play with these cameras first, see which one you like best then get that one...
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    421

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    Quote Originally Posted by guitar123 View Post
    Hi everybody,

    Newbie here.

    I am looking to upgrade from my good old Canon S95. This compact has served me very well through many overseas trips.

    Now, I am looking for a fairly portable camera with significantly better image quality. I think the DSLR is just too big for my liking.

    So I am thinking of the Canon G1X which I understand has a much larger sensor.

    Question - Am I right to assume that the Canon G1X would give me much better image quality compared to the S95?

    Any thoughts or suggestions (other cameras even) are most welcomed.

    Thanks.
    go another step further..
    go for mirrorless such as Olympus EPL5 or Sony Nex 5R
    ~PeaceNoWar~

  7. #7

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    Quote Originally Posted by guitar123 View Post
    fairly portable camera with significantly better image quality.
    I'd go with the earlier suggestions -- RX100 or G1X -- as far as compacts go. A lot depends on what you feel is 'fairly compact' (the G1X is pretty big), and what is 'significantly better image quality'. Do you regularly make prints bigger than 8R? If not, you might not see that much difference in image quality, even with a larger sensor. Except perhaps if you shoot a lot of low light / high ISO stuff.

    OR, you might want to look at the mirrorless cameras -- just a thought. With a pancake fixed lens, some are similar in size to a G1X. And the new power zooms don't add too much bulk. That would be a more expensive setup, but then you didn't mention price as a criteria, so...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    Easy, clear answer RX-100.

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    I'd go with the earlier suggestions -- RX100 or G1X -- as far as compacts go. A lot depends on what you feel is 'fairly compact' (the G1X is pretty big), and what is 'significantly better image quality'. Do you regularly make prints bigger than 8R? If not, you might not see that much difference in image quality, even with a larger sensor. Except perhaps if you shoot a lot of low light / high ISO stuff.

    OR, you might want to look at the mirrorless cameras -- just a thought. With a pancake fixed lens, some are similar in size to a G1X. And the new power zooms don't add too much bulk. That would be a more expensive setup, but then you didn't mention price as a criteria, so...
    Image quality and portability would be the two most important factors.

    Price is of course important, but given that I intend to use the camera for 2-3 years at least, it becomes less so.

    I love the size of the S95 but some of the low light shots and food pictures that I have taken could be better.

    The RX100 does sound very attractive, given its size! I'll look some more.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    Easy, clear answer RX-100.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    Quote Originally Posted by guitar123 View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    I had the S95 and the RX-100 is a game changer. Many brands are still stuck the past with their small sensors. Fujifilm has interesting offerings that you can consider (XF-1). With the RX-100 I am using much less of my mirrorless.

    Roundup: Enthusiast Zoom Compact Cameras: Digital Photography Review

  12. #12
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    Quote Originally Posted by guitar123 View Post
    Image quality and portability would be the two most important factors.

    Price is of course important, but given that I intend to use the camera for 2-3 years at least, it becomes less so.

    I love the size of the S95 but some of the low light shots and food pictures that I have taken could be better.

    The RX100 does sound very attractive, given its size! I'll look some more.
    Well... let me do a simple breakdown for you.

    G1X:

    1) Big and bulky, not much smaller than an entry level DSLR
    2) Heavy (around half a kilogram)
    3) Great ergonomic (my opinion, held it once and like it more than Sony RX100)
    4) Bigger sensor (bigger than even the mirrorless m4/3 camera and of course bigger than RX100)
    5) Better high ISO noise performance (according to many reviews, G1X do have better IQ than RX100 - not too sure, so don't flame me)
    6) sluggish AF (slow, according to all reviews, some are not too concern about it though, depend on your usage)
    7) almost the same user interface as S95, so it should feel right at home with people who are using S95/ S100
    8) Cheaper than RX100 (noted by some reviews).
    9) Very limited macro capability
    10) Had a hotshoe for attachment of external flash (although that would definitely make your G1X even bigger)
    11) Optical viewfinder (not that I would recommend using as the viewfinder is pretty small)
    12) Rotating LCD (very good feature for a number of different shots - trust me).

    RX100:

    1) Small and portable
    2) big sensor (1 inch) as compared to other PnS (but notably smaller than G1X)
    3) Lesser zoom as compared to G1X (difference not really significant though)
    4) Faster lens as compared to G1X
    5) Fast AF
    6) different user interface as the S95 (not exactly a bad thing though, depend on different user experience)
    7) more expensive than G1X
    8) (according to reviews) had poorer high ISO performance (although it do have a NR reduction mode that is essentially abit like fujifilm EXR technology, pretty cool)
    9) faster fps
    10) look very nice (but in my opinion, I hated the ergonomic of the camera).

    So as you can see, both have their own pros and cons, I would still recommend that you take a trip down to the shops and play with these two cameras. Both are excellent cameras, I would not recommend any of them over the other, it is up to you. But if it was me getting the camera, I would definitely go for the G1X, which had everything I need and wanted at the correct price.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  13. #13

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    DxOMark - Camera Sensor Ratings

    It is interesting to note that the RX-100 has a higher sensor score (66) than the G1X (60) despite being a smaller sensor.

  14. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Well... let me do a simple breakdown for you.

    G1X:

    1) Big and bulky, not much smaller than an entry level DSLR
    2) Heavy (around half a kilogram)
    3) Great ergonomic (my opinion, held it once and like it more than Sony RX100)
    4) Bigger sensor (bigger than even the mirrorless m4/3 camera and of course bigger than RX100)
    5) Better high ISO noise performance (according to many reviews, G1X do have better IQ than RX100 - not too sure, so don't flame me)
    6) sluggish AF (slow, according to all reviews, some are not too concern about it though, depend on your usage)
    7) almost the same user interface as S95, so it should feel right at home with people who are using S95/ S100
    8) Cheaper than RX100 (noted by some reviews).
    9) Very limited macro capability
    10) Had a hotshoe for attachment of external flash (although that would definitely make your G1X even bigger)
    11) Optical viewfinder (not that I would recommend using as the viewfinder is pretty small)
    12) Rotating LCD (very good feature for a number of different shots - trust me).

    RX100:

    1) Small and portable
    2) big sensor (1 inch) as compared to other PnS (but notably smaller than G1X)
    3) Lesser zoom as compared to G1X (difference not really significant though)
    4) Faster lens as compared to G1X
    5) Fast AF
    6) different user interface as the S95 (not exactly a bad thing though, depend on different user experience)
    7) more expensive than G1X
    8) (according to reviews) had poorer high ISO performance (although it do have a NR reduction mode that is essentially abit like fujifilm EXR technology, pretty cool)
    9) faster fps
    10) look very nice (but in my opinion, I hated the ergonomic of the camera).

    So as you can see, both have their own pros and cons, I would still recommend that you take a trip down to the shops and play with these two cameras. Both are excellent cameras, I would not recommend any of them over the other, it is up to you. But if it was me getting the camera, I would definitely go for the G1X, which had everything I need and wanted at the correct price.
    Thank you. This is a very useful pros and cons list.

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    I called several camera shops today and indeed the RX100 is more expensive than the G1X. Cheapest quote for RX100 was $890 versus $800 for the G1X.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    why not buy a second hand 7d?
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    why not buy a second hand 7d?
    Because, as he stated, he's looking for a portable camera and a dslr is too big.
    Alpha

  18. #18

    Default Re: Upgrading from Canon S95

    G1x is pretty big and bulky...
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •