Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Circular Polarisers!

Default Re: Good Circular Polarisers!

Not sure how good is good and how bad is bad..
    i only tried 1 kind before and is still using (sometimes only)

I use the Sony Carl Zeiss CPL (not sure if it fits onto other brand of lenses tho). But so far im happy. But the price also 1 of a kind..
    For 1 (77mm CPL) its S$ 299.00.
    Last edited by TWmilkteaTW; 4th January 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SkyStrike

But flare may be the other issue with TY..
    Correct. I had this problem when doing light trails near or under street lamps. Had to recompose coz of this so decided to get LEE.

Quote Originally Posted by JoonWeh View Post
    Seems like it works pretty well! Shall considering getting one... Any brands you would recommend? =)
    I have only one CPL, a Moose's (see here). I bought it just to experience using one & only use it occasionally because it is far more convenient to make the adjustment in iPhoto. [By the way, I'm nowhere near a "Pro," just enjoy taking lots of photos during my holidays.]
    Hobbyist; Weekend SG Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Folks, don't bash Tian Ya until like that lah. 1 square Tian Ya filter is less than $10! Surely you cannot be asking for too much right? I thought it worked fine when I paired it to my Sigma 10-20mm f/4-f/5.6 and my Nikon D70. Maybe today's lenses and cameras can easily expose the flaws of Tian Ya filters, but if you are pairing your photographic equipment of over thousands of dollars with a filter of less than $10, you better hope that the filter does not work as well, because the alternative will be you grossly overpaid for your other photographic equipment!

Disclaimer: I don't know what is the going price of Tian Ya filters in Singapore. I bought mine in 2008 for less than $2 a piece in China, so I think an estimate of $10 should not be too far off.
    Not really bashing it lar... 1 TY filter was around $12 per piece when I bought it. Thou I still must say that for me, only the GND works better than the rest of what I got (GND, ND8, GND Orange). But for it's price, I really cannot complain. Especially when TY is really a cheap way to start exploring filters. Which I'm kinda grateful that I didn't spend more money on the Lee's or other higher branded GND filters as GND filters didn't really suit what I like to shoot (as of current...).

Quote Originally Posted by foxkeith View Post
    Totally agree with blur shadow. Actually, tianya nd filters work well with sigma 10-20mm lens and my canon 50d. Just that there is vignette issue at 10-13mm which is normal for UWA lens. By the way, we are just paying less than $90 for a bundle of nd filter inclusive of the holder. If you are buying separately, each filter only cost $10 each. Super good deal. Cheers
    I think it's cheaper to get what you need than to get the whole box set....

And funny, I didn't get any vignetting issues with my 10-22 when I use the GND. I only get those vignetting (from 10mm to 11mm, completely gone by 12mm) when I'm lazy to remove the UV filter and mount the filter holder on the UV filter.

For the CPL, I'm using the Hoya CPL (Slim Profile). Mainly (if not only) used with my 10-22. Personally, good enough for me. But from the reviews, it's not nearly as good as some of the more expensive ones.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Quote Originally Posted by macVince View Post
    I write this response because I really like what you said. Classic. (FYI I did read "Newbie Guide to Filters" when I was new to DSLR 2-3 years back, so I'm not guilty haha :-)
    I'm so sorry guys... Well if you guys diss me here i'm okay about it. HAHA, its me who didnt search the forums carefully...

im using the kenko zeta ex cpl, damn lightweight and thin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    strange....

how come nobody mention about this thread?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbi...e-filters.html
    Because it is not cool to read stickies anymore? :P

Quote Originally Posted by mds80 View Post
    Whichever brand you choose, avoid the tianya cpl filter. I regretfully bought one and it hardly reduces any reflection no matter how I turn it. Tried in many different situations as I heard it depends on the angle of the sun but still not much effect.
    I've been using the Tian ya cpl 77mm to be exact for sometime and it works fine. Have also tried the better brands like Hoya but decided the Tian ya was good enough for my preference.

Regarding the minimising of reflections, below are 2 samples with and without the tian ya cpl. I have kept the exif data intact to ensure settings are the same except for the exposure to ensure similar brightness as much as possible. Note that the test is done indoors. Will try to post samples when the sun is out.

Without the filter

With tianya cpl filter

Quote Originally Posted by azurebluee View Post
    I've been using the Tian ya cpl 77mm to be exact for sometime and it works fine. Have also tried the better brands like Hoya but decided the Tian ya was good enough for my preference.

Regarding the minimising of reflections, below are 2 samples with and without the tian ya cpl. I have kept the exif data intact to ensure settings are the same except for the exposure to ensure similar brightness as much as possible. Note that the test is done indoors. Will try to post samples when the sun is out.
    The tianya cpl I was referring to fits into the square filter slot and looks very different from this. I found it to be rather disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by mds80 View Post
    The tianya cpl I was referring to fits into the square filter slot and looks very different from this. I found it to be rather disappointing.
    Ic, I have not tried the square filter version for cpl before. The gradual ND square copy works fine.

No pun intended...did you fit the filter in the correct direction? The polarizing effect is only on one side of the glass.
    Last edited by azurebluee; 16th February 2013 at 04:10 PM.

My CPL looks like this:

Shot with CPL set to neutral:

With CPL set to maximum reduction:

Seems to only have very strong effect on LCD screens. I've tried it outdoors many times and it doesn't seem to make any big difference on the colour of the sky or reflections on water.

Seems to only have very strong effect on LCD screens. I've tried it outdoors many times and it doesn't seem to make any big difference on the colour of the sky or reflections on water.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, noticed the difference with the lcd screen too. But not much difference with the reflections....strange.

Perhaps under the sun, you can try putting the cpl to the outer most slot so the sun rays are not blocked by the sides of the holder.

Quote Originally Posted by azurebluee View Post
    Ic, I have not tried the square filter version for cpl before. The gradual ND square copy works fine.
    No pun intended...did you fit the filter in the correct direction? The polarizing effect is only on one side of the glass.
    The filter effect is not depending on which side of the filter is facing outside. It is depending on the direction of the sunlight. Did you notice that the CPL can and needs to be rotated?
    All well described in the Filter Guide.
    EOS

Perhaps under the sun, you can try putting the cpl to the outer most slot so the sun rays are not blocked by the sides of the holder.
    The filter effect is not depending on which side of the filter is facing outside. It is depending on the direction of the sunlight. Did you notice that the CPL can and needs to be rotated?
    All well described in the Filter Guide.
    The filter can only be slotted into the last slot, nearest to the lens and can only face one direction. And yes, I know it must be rotated accordingly.

I'm using B+W XS Pro MRC Nano KSM CPL Filter 77mm... I'm also new in using CPL... It's a little bit expensive but I think it's worth it... I just notice it does not totally eliminate the reflection in the glass when I take picture thru it, or maybe it's my technique, I need more practice...

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear2011 View Post
    I'm using B+W XS Pro MRC Nano KSM CPL Filter 77mm... I'm also new in using CPL... It's a little bit expensive but I think it's worth it... I just notice it does not totally eliminate the reflection in the glass when I take picture thru it, or maybe it's my technique, I need more practice...
    A CPL filter is not a all wonder. There are situations where it can only reduce the reflection but not totally remove the reflection.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Thanks SkyStrike for the info....

nice sunny day. Taken with 10-22mm at f8

without filter

with filter 1
    I prefer this as it looks more pleasant with the richness of the blue color. The texture of the clouds are more visible.

with filter 2
    Some may like this darker shade of blue

Hi taikors, has anyone managed to buy the marumi super dhg cpl in singapore, malaysia or any online store that can deliver? Can share the info please? Thanks a lot for your help

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CScsCS View Post
    Hi taikors, has anyone managed to buy the marumi super dhg cpl in singapore, malaysia or any online store that can deliver? Can share the info please? Thanks a lot for your help
    Check with Orient Photo in 6th floor SLS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast