Thread: Colour problem with flash

Default Colour problem with flash

I tried to take pictures of my orchids today but having problem with the colours. Take a look at

Both pictures are taken at the same time. Pic1 is taken with the flash on while 2 is without flash. They are taken in RAW and then converted to JPEG with no post-processing done. Both are so different straight out from the camera

My question is why is there such a big difference in the colour with the flash. Is there something that I am not doing right? The colours in picture 2 is more accurate. But I really prefer pic1 due to the background. However the colours in pic1 is not accurate

I'm not a tech expert, but I would say that it has to do with

1) The temperature of the flash being very different from overcast daylight, and

2) The quality of the light (from the flash) more directional as opposed to very diffused.

If you want your flash pix of flowers to look similar to that taken in natural light, you would have to replicate, as far as possible ... the natural light.

I don't envy you. Getting the balances correct for natural looking flash-lit pix of flowers is not as easy as fitting a diffuser on a flash or simply using 3 or 4 strobes.

Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Blog Entries

the question is, if you do not want to do any post processing, then why did you shoot in raw format?

Re open the raw files and change the white balance values to correct the colour.

My point is trying to get the colour as close as possible and then PS it. I am just wondering why the flash changes the colour so much and is there any way to make the colours closer with the flash on.

I am not very good with PS and really hope to get the things right off the camera so that I don't have to do too much post-processing.

Under the Son

its a FE problem, try to FE the purple color in the leave area, then use FE lock and then focus.