Thread: What is the point of E-Warranty?

Default What is the point of E-Warranty?

When in the end still need the original invoice + warranty card (if included) to bring along for camera equipment servicing?

They should have a function where can also upload image of the invoice in case lost so can recover from the server. This is typical issue for lens makers like Sigma that give 2 years warranty and especially Tamron with 5 years warranty.

The only perk i see is the added 6 months warranty if register the e-warranty.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Default Re: What is the point of E-Warranty?

No such issue with sony... What brand's warranty system are you complaining about?
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    No such issue with sony... What brand's warranty system are you complaining about?
    Now that is something.

https://www.sony.com.sg/faqspage?hpi...htmlarea_right
    Q: I’ve registered my E-Warranty, but I still haven’t received my Warranty Certificate. Why not?

A: The good news is – you don’t need it. Once your E-Warranty has been approved, you’ll be sent an email confirming your successful registration. You can then view your product warranty information when you sign into My Sony and under My Products, select Registered Products. Rest assured that if you can see your warranty information on screen, it’s authenticated.

I believe that is the proper implementation of registering the warranty online.
    Last edited by Reportage; 3rd January 2013 at 10:46 AM.

Huh? I don't face issue with my Canon (from 1000D, 40D and 7D), I just bring my camera down and they can easily trace my warranty status with the serial number. Same goes for my friend who brought his 70-200mm f2.8L down for repairs after a freak accident. I think most brands had already gone paperless nowadays.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Huh? I don't face issue with my Canon (from 1000D, 40D and 7D), I just bring my camera down and they can easily trace my warranty status with the serial number. Same goes for my friend who brought his 70-200mm f2.8L down for repairs after a freak accident. I think most brands had already gone paperless nowadays.
    Exactly. So why still put down need the invoice and warranty card when registering the warranty online. Might as well declare openly no need for them already. With todays networking capability in singapore, i dont think it is very hard to differentiate those who register warranty only when got problem and those who registered from day one.

That is an alternative to any possible system breakdown (lost of warranty data etc).

I always think e-Warranty is for them to fish out your personal data at a prize to you of 3 to 6 months additional warranty.... Technically, you "pay" for it.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

I really think that the main benefit is the reduction in manpower needed to do the admin work for the warranty papers that comes in by mail.

Registering online = goes into the database straight... bypass manpower to do data entry = lesser manpower cost?
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

E-warrenty also help kerb open dated or unfilled warrenty cards. This help the camera maker....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lthg25 View Post
    E-warrenty also help kerb open dated or unfilled warrenty cards. This help the camera maker....
    And the requirement for sales receipt is to take care of the unfilled warrenty card problem as well.

And for every business, it is important to keep information of their customers and user base. Not only is it easier to send out recall notices and information, it is also good business to know your customers and understand their needs. And the occassional marketing message helps business too.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    And the requirement for sales receipt is to take care of the unfilled warrenty card problem as well.

And for every business, it is important to keep information of their customers and user base. Not only is it easier to send out recall notices and information, it is also good business to know your customers and understand their needs. And the occassional marketing message helps business too.
    Retailers are helping out with the issue as well. Nowadays buy lens and camera, shops will ask the customer to fill out the warranty card on the spot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    Retailers are helping out with the issue as well. Nowadays buy lens and camera, shops will ask the customer to fill out the warranty card on the spot.
    Funny thing is, the shops I go to, never ask me to fill in the warranty cards. All you need when claiming warranty, is to show a warranty card and a receipt.. that's all.