Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: Total Defence Photo competition -- $70,000 worth of prizes

  1. #1

    Default Total Defence Photo competition -- $70,000 worth of prizes

    Dear fellow clubsnappers,

    I am pleased to inform you about the following photo competition which is really one of its kind. The prizes are worth a total of $70,000!!! This is a record breaking feat for any photo competition, and we eagerly urge you to participate.

    Just in case you need to know more about Total defence and also to download the form, you may like to visit the link below:

    http://td2005.totaldefence.org.sg/ta...challenge.html

    All the best and we shall wait for your entries.

    Regards,

    Steven Yee Pui Chung
    Honorary Secretary
    The Photographic Society of Singapore

    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Caught in Action Total Defence Photo Competition 2005

    Organiser:
    Nexus
    The Photographic Society of Singapore

    Sponsor:
    Nikon Singapore

    More than $50,000 Cash and $20,000 worth of Prizes to be won!

    As part of the launch celebrations of the Total Defence PhotoFest 2005, we invite entries for the Total Defence Photo Competition "Total Defence Caught in Action"

    Whatever the occasion, keep your camera loaded to capture moments of fellow Singaporeans doing their part for Total Defence. It is easy to see how Total Defence is part of our everyday lives and we all have a part to play in it!

    Your Challenge

    To submit photo that capture different aspects of Total Defence Caught in Action! Scope of topics may include scenery, people and activities centred on each aspect of Total Defence.

    Military Defence - Being operationally ready
    Civil Defence - Being alert and prepared
    Economic Defence - Learning to stay employable
    Social Defence - Building bonds among all races
    Psychological Defence - Standing up for Singapore

    Closing date: 15 May 2005.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    5,711

    Default

    Thanks for your info Steven....was wonder why Canon never involve in large scale Photography competition like Nikon....

  3. #3

    Default

    military photos arn't going to be easy.
    shooting esp of exercises, buildings are all restricted.
    you can't expect to wait for some buildings to get on fire, and
    shoot the firemen at work..

    its a challenge.

  4. #4

    Default

    R there any places where there r frequent marches of the soldier in public roads ?? are those shots illegal ?

  5. #5

    Default

    I saw some of the shots, mostly are authorised shots by government authorities..

    we don't have such privileges access..

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Seriously, you do not need to portray soldiers marching/involved in exercises etc or firemen fighting fire to portray military defence and such stuff. Even if you are going to get access its just going to be sterotypical.
    There are other more subtle elements that you can use to display the themes of total defence. What matters most is that the pictures bring out the theme and essence of total defence, in ways that are creative.

  7. #7

    Default

    Here's a suggestion for those NS uncles aka NSMEN just hang around at home on sat afternoon... position the TV to face the maindoor. Set up the camera along the corridor put on the dusty pair of no.4 and standby the boots. focus the camera to to able to see you putting on your boot while in the distance there's a blurred view of the green mobilisation thingys That's Military Defence - Being operationally ready

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    West Coast of sunny Singapore
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwilly
    military photos arn't going to be easy.
    shooting esp of exercises, buildings are all restricted.
    you can't expect to wait for some buildings to get on fire, and
    shoot the firemen at work..

    its a challenge.
    total defence isn't only abt the military aspect.

    there are 5 elements or so, like social defence etc. which refers to bonding, building rapport with fellow singaporeans so as to have a cohesive and united society.

    something like that.... correct me if i'm wrong.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obviousdude
    total defence isn't only abt the military aspect.

    there are 5 elements or so, like social defence etc. which refers to bonding, building rapport with fellow singaporeans so as to have a cohesive and united society.

    something like that.... correct me if i'm wrong.
    Yup,

    there are 5 different categories for the open section, and one should not concentrate on just one category.

    Let us see who can hit jackpot, winning first prize in 5 categories and walk home with, you can calculate, was it $10,000 cash and more than $10,000 worth of camera!

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    Here's a suggestion for those NS uncles aka NSMEN just hang around at home on sat afternoon... position the TV to face the maindoor. Set up the camera along the corridor put on the dusty pair of no.4 and standby the boots. focus the camera to to able to see you putting on your boot while in the distance there's a blurred view of the green mobilisation thingys That's Military Defence - Being operationally ready
    Great, this is one creative angle.

    We can also have an angle where the car book has the FBO on standby. Oh Yeah!

    We can also have an image of an NS boy about tying his boots getting out of the house to get back to camp. On BMT POP day, quite lots of opportunities to shoot interaction between soldiers and family.

    At the same time, you can bring your kids for the shoot as there is a youth section, with 5 categories also.

  11. #11

    Default

    but nothing beats having real military stuffs.
    (equipment, A&B vehicles, troops)

    Chance much lower of course.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Unless you're the unit photographer with a good camera.LOL.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  13. #13

    Default

    The 4th point of Rules and Regulations states 'The images must be printed by photographic lab process and unmounted.'

    Does this means I have to send digital files to a lab and cannot use inkjet printer to print? Any labs to recommend for 8R or S8R digital prints?

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CY_OH
    The 4th point of Rules and Regulations states 'The images must be printed by photographic lab process and unmounted.'

    Does this means I have to send digital files to a lab and cannot use inkjet printer to print? Any labs to recommend for 8R or S8R digital prints?
    Yup, the digital files must be printed by the lab and not via inkjet.

    Nowadays, it is easy to get a 8R or S8R print at prices from $2 to $3.50 per piece. Have a walk around Sunset Way, or Peninsula plaza, and you will find a few. Enough clues for now.

  15. #15
    jcryan55
    Guests

    Default

    Hi...Steven,

    I need some clarification on the rules & regulations in the website. I could get the answer for the followuing questions:

    1. It says all photo submitted must be photolab processed....Does it mean we cannot send in B&W prints that we developed in the darkroom and we shld send the original film neagtive for hi res scan then manipulate n software then print at the photo labs? Pls advise.

    2. How are we able to get the print back after the competition? There isn't any details on the website regarding the return of prints for those that are not selected or win any prizes.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jcryan55
    Hi...Steven,

    I need some clarification on the rules & regulations in the website. I could get the answer for the followuing questions:

    1. It says all photo submitted must be photolab processed....Does it mean we cannot send in B&W prints that we developed in the darkroom and we shld send the original film neagtive for hi res scan then manipulate n software then print at the photo labs? Pls advise.

    2. How are we able to get the print back after the competition? There isn't any details on the website regarding the return of prints for those that are not selected or win any prizes.
    Hi,

    Point 1 actually means that the competition does not accept inkjet prints. Only accept photographic print, be it lab processed or DIY.

    Point 2, the prints submitted are not returnable. The organisers will only use those winning entries for their future publicity purpose.

  17. #17

    Lightbulb Some suggesitons...

    Quote Originally Posted by bwilly
    military photos arn't going to be easy.
    shooting esp of exercises, buildings are all restricted.
    you can't expect to wait for some buildings to get on fire, and
    shoot the firemen at work..

    its a challenge.
    Military defence doesn't mean you have to shoot soldiers with rifles lor... can try going to MRT and take picture of NSmen returning to camps during open mob...? Just a suggestion...

    For civil defence... I think you can try going for those CDEC Emergency Preparedness Day... can visit this website for more info...

    http://app.scdf.gov.sg/html/newsroom/news_event.asp

    *boing boing*

    :: There was once a little red dot which was more than a little red spot. A closer look would show that it was really made up of many little dots ::

  18. #18

    Default

    Hi all,

    I just went to the total defence site and saw they have posted the pictures that were featured in their photofest in Feb 2005. You can have a peek at the images at the below link.

    http://td2005.totaldefence.org.sg/ph...t_gallery.html

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    3,530

    Default

    are we allow to add in caption or title on the photo itself or we can only submit plain photo only ?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    AMK
    Posts
    5,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Yee
    Hi all,

    I just went to the total defence site and saw they have posted the pictures that were featured in their photofest in Feb 2005. You can have a peek at the images at the below link.

    http://td2005.totaldefence.org.sg/ph...t_gallery.html
    There is no way we can fight with the Army inhouse photographer in the miltary defense...unless the judges really open their 'eye'...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •