Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Annoying popups!

  1. #1

    Default Annoying popups!

    Hi all
    Recently the number of popups appearing has been tremendous! It used to be 1 popup every now and then but now its like... 4 or 5 every minute? Its getting to my nerve.

    I've Spybot and AdAware installed and I've scanned my PC using both programs. And everytime I would scan til 'There is no more threat left'. I've also updated my Norton Antivirus to the latest update and have also scanned my PC which revealed no viruses found whatsoever.

    However, there will still be popups!

    Another annoying thing is the search column popping up beside my Internet Browser. I've included a printscreen of that search column in case anyone of you dont get me. http://www.valska.org/terence/search.JPG

    Can anyone advise me on what to do next to rid my PC of such happenings?

  2. #2

    Default

    you can try using mozilla firefox web browser. It is quite effective in blocking popups

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    i would first check my control panel - add/remove programs for unwanted things or what i have no impression of installing it, uninstall it.

    if there isn't any, i would close all programs, look into the task manager - processes and "end process" those programs that are running and i have no idea what are they.

    next, i would go to C:\Program Files\ and delete anything i have no impression of installing them.

    finally, open up internet explorer again to check if the problem still exist.

  4. #4

    Default

    Update your Windows XP with the latest update from microsoft. Since I got Service Pack 2 (SP2), it has effectively blocked most of the pop-ups, yet giving you the offer to read those pop-ups it has blocked, if you want to view them. I have to say Microsoft did a great job at this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yeocolin
    Update your Windows XP with the latest update from microsoft. Since I got Service Pack 2 (SP2), it has effectively blocked most of the pop-ups, yet giving you the offer to read those pop-ups it has blocked, if you want to view them. I have to say Microsoft did a great job at this.
    yeah, and not forgetting MS also has a new spyware detection tool right? if i remember correctly although i didn't update mine.

    by the way pokka, you might like to give this a try? http://www.browser-hijack.com/
    Last edited by Drudkh; 12th March 2005 at 10:49 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    you can try using mozilla firefox web browser. It is quite effective in blocking popups
    Thanks. I would use it as a last resort. I've been using IE for so long, I doubt I would change my web browser. But thanks anyway for your feedback.

    i would first check my control panel - add/remove programs for unwanted things or what i have no impression of installing it, uninstall it.
    Hi, indeed there are some unfamiliar programs installed. I've removed a few(Yes, a few). Some like DjVu Internet Tool Bar? Something like that which I've no recollection installing it.

    if there isn't any, i would close all programs, look into the task manager - processes and "end process" those programs that are running and i have no idea what are they.
    Hi, in the task manager, there are some processes which I don't know what they're there for, but I'm pretty sure they're vital for the PC. How can I find out which are deletable or rather which are popupAds-related?

    Oh, and lastly I've the latest Service Pack 2.

    PS:While typing this reply, I've a total of 2 popups and 2 SearchTool popup! Annoying!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokka
    Thanks. I would use it as a last resort. I've been using IE for so long, I doubt I would change my web browser. But thanks anyway for your feedback.
    err ... why last resort? just a few clicks away and all your problems solved, no need to consider

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    sorry man, then i suggest you ignore that part on task manager. or if you can post a screen shot of your task manager.

    in the task manager processes, these are the actually program name that are running. stuffs like svchost.exe lsass.exe csrss.exe mdm.exe services.exe smc.exe smss.exe winlogon.exe etc are critical WinXP components running. as for the others, i would do a search for that particular .exe file, for example toolbar.exe and see where is it hiding. If its like in C:\Program Files\ABCTool\toolbar.exe then I can confirm it can be deleted since I did not install it.

    But of course the above is a little dangerous to do.

    I got pissed with IE and found a new browser that I will never have these problems. I found Maxthon. It uses IE engine, so it is no difference to IE, except lots more features added in. Check it out. I love it a lot!

    Good Luck!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokka
    Thanks. I would use it as a last resort. I've been using IE for so long, I doubt I would change my web browser. But thanks anyway for your feedback.



    Hi, indeed there are some unfamiliar programs installed. I've removed a few(Yes, a few). Some like DjVu Internet Tool Bar? Something like that which I've no recollection installing it.



    Hi, in the task manager, there are some processes which I don't know what they're there for, but I'm pretty sure they're vital for the PC. How can I find out which are deletable or rather which are popupAds-related?

    Oh, and lastly I've the latest Service Pack 2.

    PS:While typing this reply, I've a total of 2 popups and 2 SearchTool popup! Annoying!
    Check if you've turned on the feature to switch off the pop-ups, since you've installed the latest SP2.

  10. #10

    Default

    You have spyware problems there.

    Update your Ad-aware again, reboot and get Ad-aware to scan again. And the advise to use Firefox is an EXTREMELY sound one. If you still choose to use IE, then you are opening yourself up for unnecessary security risk to your PC.

    But, if you are still a die-hard IE user, suggest you run Windoze update regularly to get the important security patches for both Windoze & IE.

    But for non-spyware related advertisements & pop-ups. I strongly recommend this -- http://www.admuncher.com/.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nyxx88
    You have spyware problems there.

    Update your Ad-aware again, reboot and get Ad-aware to scan again. And the advise to use Firefox is an EXTREMELY sound one. If you still choose to use IE, then you are opening yourself up for unnecessary security risk to your PC.

    But, if you are still a die-hard IE user, suggest you run Windoze update regularly to get the important security patches for both Windoze & IE.

    But for non-spyware related advertisements & pop-ups. I strongly recommend this -- http://www.admuncher.com/.
    nice pun ... paiseh, OT

  12. #12

    Default

    by the way pokka, you might like to give this a try? http://www.browser-hijack.com/
    Thanks, I will give this a try.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yeocolin
    Check if you've turned on the feature to switch off the pop-ups, since you've installed the latest SP2.
    Yes, I've checked the box 'Bloack pop-ups'

    I've updated my AdAware and Spybot to the latest version and have done scans.
    Spybot show no new threat whereas AdAware revealed 1 threat.

    And I found a new problem.
    When I type in www.symantec.com , I get re-directed to http://www.yupsearch.com/search.php
    Can anyone tell me whether this is the work of a spyware or a virus/trojan/worm?

  14. #14

    Default

    IE should be your last resort..

    I wonder how I managed to surf 12-15 pages at a time without tab browsing.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokka
    Yes, I've checked the box 'Bloack pop-ups'

    I've updated my AdAware and Spybot to the latest version and have done scans.
    Spybot show no new threat whereas AdAware revealed 1 threat.

    And I found a new problem.
    When I type in www.symantec.com , I get re-directed to http://www.yupsearch.com/search.php
    Can anyone tell me whether this is the work of a spyware or a virus/trojan/worm?
    definitely a spyware.
    dude, if you're too used to IE like I do, give Maxthon a try.

  16. #16

    Default

    Download Microsoft Anti Spyware, you will like it.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokka
    And I found a new problem.
    When I type in www.symantec.com , I get re-directed to http://www.yupsearch.com/search.php
    Can anyone tell me whether this is the work of a spyware or a virus/trojan/worm?
    Sounds like you may have caught a variant of the "Cool Web Search" spyware/adware.

    Try using this:

    CWSShredder

    Good luck.

  18. #18

    Default

    i have a better solution, switch to a mac......

  19. #19

    Default

    the google toolbar will stop popups.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel
    Sounds like you may have caught a variant of the "Cool Web Search" spyware/adware.

    Try using this:

    CWSShredder

    Good luck.
    I've done a scan using CWSShredder, but it says the "Cool Web Search" spyware is not found.
    Any idea?
    Popups are still popping out but the search thing by the side of the IE so far has not re-appeared.
    Think the browser-hijack thingie is good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •