Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travelling to Bangkok - what SIM to get and other questions

Default Re: Travelling to Bangkok - what SIM to get and other questions

Have fun.
    Share with us your discoveries, adventures and lobangs for good food.
    If the hotel gives you a good experience stay, let us know.

Post your photos/videos when you return and recover from the trip.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 10th January 2013 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    Happy 2013 everyone, I'm flying to Bangkok next month for a week. Would like to ask the following questions to fellow ClubSnappers who have ventured there before as this will be my first time:
    1) Which telco/SIM card should I get and how much value? I won't be making phone calls much as I'm using mostly data for Google Maps/WhatsApp/checking train schedules as I go/etc and for emergency calls
    2) When do I tip and how much baht? Here in Melbourne tipping is not mandatory but some people will tip between A$5 to A$20 depending on the situation
    3) Is it safe to drink tap water from the hotel? Or is it advisable to drink bottled water only?
    4) Does anyone have any 'lobang' for renting a camera and lens around Asoke/Sukhumvit/Emporium shopping centre? I'll be staying around that area and was thinking of not bringing my camera/tripod to save luggage space, plus I was thinking of renting a newer camera and using the opportunity to try it out, hopefully an Olympus OMD or a Sony RX1.
    What situation they tip AUD $20 ?? :O
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by harnamsc View Post
    GhostAccord: That tailor in Asia Hotel, how much is a shirt on average?
    Paid around SGD40 for each shirt and SGD55 for each pair of pants. Tailored 5 shirts and 2 pants.

Now THAT is a bargain when you consider the prices of tailored clothing in Melbourne! Can you recall what the shop looks like? Asia Hotel Bangkok does not have a listing of tenants, and I want to be sure I don't patronize the wrong place. BTS Ratchadewi is roughly 30 minutes from BTS Asoke, I can go there immediately after checking into my hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostAccord View Post
    Paid around SGD40 for each shirt and SGD55 for each pair of pants. Tailored 5 shirts and 2 pants.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

I stayed at this hotel. (Asia) located next to the Ratchathewi BTS.

There is a direct link where you can walk from within the hotel directly into the BTS station. They close this link late at night each day.
    Did not pay attention to the tailor in the hotel shopping arcade.
    Not sure if it is New Asia Boutique on the second storey.
    I only recall the small book shop.

Or the tailor may be one claimed to be nearby named Peter Renee.
    The plot of land next to the hotel has undergone demolition of the old shop houses to be reconstructed as a new complex.
    This photo was a side view from my hotel room window.

So some of the nearby shops that housed the massage, restaurants, tailors, etc ...would be gone.

Anyway, if you are staying at Asoke/Sukhumvit area, you are in the middle of Bangkok tailor (that cater to tourists) territory. There is no need to specially go far away to Asia Hotel.
    There are numerous good tailors in the Asoke / Sukhumvit area. Surf a bit and you will find them complete with satisified customer recommendations. Just by walking around the area, you would discover them.

Never allow any taxi driver to fetch you to his preferred tailor. You will be paying a lot more to provide for his commission from the tailor. And that tailor is likely to be a rotten one.

Please note that most of Bangkok tailors do not do their own cutting and sewing. The tailor will measure you and send the data to a subcontractor of sewing machine operators. This is the norm in Bangkok. The tailor shop is just a marketing front counter and the back end production of tailored clothing is off-site at sewing subcontractor mini-factories.

The few that do cutting and sewing have own staff to do so.
    Those are more costly. (Still cheap compared to Australia). But likely to have better workmanship.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 14th January 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Just did that Google search and..................my jaw has hit the floor!? A very big thank you for that advice ricohflex, there are quite a lot of decent tailors, especially around Sukhumvit Soi 8. I've shortlisted a few that should suffice. There are literally dozens of recommended tailors and, based on reports from other online forums, thousands of crappy tailors that will tout you endlessly and pester you non-stop. Unfortunately most of these crappy tailors are located near the good ones, so its a matter of knowing exactly where you want to go and ignoring the touts around you. I could mention other tailors but I'm in Bangkok to enjoy the sights, sounds and food and don't intend to spend much time shopping.

Tailor on Ten - Tailor On Ten — LOCATION, from BTS Nana simply cross to Soi 8 and walk towards the end
    Mon to Sat - 10am to 7pm

JAS Clothing by Tom's Fashion - Shop19, along same street as Tailor on Ten
    Mon to Sat - 10:30am to 8:30pm

Crown Tailor - Shop 13 along same street as Tailor on Ten, possibly more expensive than the first two but I'll find out once I'm there

Raja's Fashion - 160 Sukhumvit Toad, between Soi 6 and 8, approx 30m from BTS Nana, possibly more expensive as well

With their opening hours, I should be able to arrive, check-in at the hotel and then visit the tailors and place my orders in time for dinner. So that's my shopping mostly settled! Now...........if only I could find a decent studio or some lighting kit rentals in BKK. Grrrrr. I swear there's a conspiracy to rip off foreigners! A Thai-based model I contacted on ModelMayhem told me of a studio in Bang Na that she remembers as 500 baht per hour based on her shoot there two months ago, but when I contacted them they told me its a flat rate of 3500 baht for 4 hours? That's almost twice as much as what she said, and frankly the studio facilities and equipment is not that decent either. On that front I'm practically admitting defeat, everyone I've spoken to can recommend places to buy camera and lighting, but no rental and nobody seems to know anyone who rents strobe lighting kits. And all the studios I've contacted will cost me 3000-4500 baht to rent for facilities that only have basic black or white backdrops, no furniture or coloured backdrops or anything. Frankly all I need are some additional light sources for a shoot, that's a pretty basic requirement and I'm quite surprised its so hard to find in Bangkok.
    Last edited by harnamsc; 15th January 2013 at 09:02 AM.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Do try Egyptian cotton for shirts.

If you want more fancy fabrics from Dormeuil, Scabal and Ermenegildo Zegna, some of the Bangkok tailors have. These are costly.

If you are into live jazz music, there is a place near to where you stay, that is worth a visit. They play jazz music at night at
    Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit Hotel located right next to Asoke BTS. The lounge named Living Room.

Last edited by ricohflex; 15th January 2013 at 11:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12