Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic Photography Course

Quote Originally Posted by truth-photographer
    Well well, we have ProImage, Blitz, Toto, Blurblock from SLCC. I hate it when people are dishonest. If you are from there, and promote their activities, just admit it.
    Hi truth-photographer, welcome back to Singapore!

Anyway I'm not posting here to promote any course. I'm posting as a person who has frequented CS for some time, although to be aboveboard, I have attended a course at SLCC before.

Just thought to clarify something concerning the above. ProImage, Blitz, and Toto have never said that they were not from SLCC. In fact, if you browse this forum just further down, you'll realise that they cover different courses at SLCC and for the courses that they themselves conduct, they post using their own nick. The only nick that is shared is Toto38, and that is because the nick belongs to husband and wife. There is certainly no misrepresentation. If you attend one of their occasional free workshops in person, they introduce themselves willingly. Many people can vouch for that. Blurblock hangs out at SLCC regularly but does not work for Stanley, but even for him, they will introduce him at the workshop. So your comment does seem a little bit strong. A conclusion about the quality of a course is very different from a comment on the integrity of a number of people. It is a very serious matter.

Lastly it's good that you're asking for feedback from a forum concerning the places/courses you are interested in. That way, you get feedback from a pool of people rather than a single person. But it works both ways e.g. how many people have you asked concerning SLCC? For each of the courses you mention, I believe I can find people who did not find their expectations met, yet you will find others who are very satisfied.

In any case, you have some interesting ideas concerning organised model shoots in another thread. If you have any others, do share, think it's good for discussion, shake up the conventions here a little. It's great to see lady photographers - male photographers are overly represented!

Quote Originally Posted by poohbear
    That is uncalled for how you term dishonest in this case ? This is unfair to anyone , not only to the pple at SLCC, but to those who had taken up their course. Pls get your facts right before labeling people as dishonest.

Some Photography club had serveral nicks too , you just dun term them as dishonest wouldn't you ? Anyway good luck on your quest for a suitable course.
    Hi poohbear,

For PSS, the 2 usernames we use are MissDi (from our staff Diana) and StevenYee (myself). Just to clarify. I prefer to use my own name as username. If it is an official notice, I will sign off as Honorary Secretary of PSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Yee
    Cool down, pooh bear. She just touched down and new to the forum. Don't scare this lady lah.

Anyway, her candidness and frankness earn my respect for her in some ways. But just need to be a little tactful with her posts. She should be alright over time.

I think we should give her encouragement and help her settle down.
    I'm cool

Hi poohbear,

For PSS, the 2 usernames we use are MissDi (from our staff Diana) and StevenYee (myself). Just to clarify. I prefer to use my own name as username. If it is an official notice, I will sign off as Honorary Secretary of PSS.
    Hi Steven, he is not talking about you .... LOL .... he is talking about the Pungol Photography Club hotspot and himself started ..... It is a Community Centre Photography Club aimed at promoting Studio Photography to the resident in the northern end of Singapore. When Signing as an official word from that photography club, they will publish it using the club's nick rather then individual nick .

Hi poohbear,

I'm aware of it and i'm sure most of the Cser around knew about it , sorry abt that , din mean to pin point anybody but just to give an example only.

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Hi Steven, he is not talking about you .... LOL .... he is talking about the Pungol Photography Club hotspot and himself started ..... It is a Community Centre Photography Club aimed at promoting Studio Photography to the resident in the northern end of Singapore. When Signing as an official word from that photography club, they will publish it using the club's nick rather then individual nick .
    Neh, just to clarify our stance.

Looks like this market is getting saturated.

The club is not aimed at teaching or providing commerical photography, but rather photography as a hobby. Thus it is a niche market by it self .... one that does not earn a single cent .

Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    The club is not aimed at teaching or providing commerical photography, but rather photography as a hobby. Thus it is a niche market by it self .... one that does not earn a single cent .
    Yup, PSS is a non-profit organisation registered with the ROS, and we do not run for profit, hence you can see our rate is affordable.

For PSS, we depend very much on membership fees, donations, conducting courses to stay financially viable as an arts group. Hence, we need the support of the photographers.

The Council are volunteers (with full time job) running the club out of passion, supported by the 2 full time staff. We hope our efforts are appreciated, evident only by the positive response for our activities.

Nonetheless, any arts group has to stay financially viable to continue its mission.

PSS offers advance courses beyond the basic photography course. These advance courses are specialized courses conducted by professional photographers and award winning photographers. The advance course are meant as a stepping stone for amateur photographers to venture into serious photography as hobby, if not as a career.

Well well, we have ProImage, Blitz, Toto, Blurblock from SLCC. I hate it when people are dishonest. If you are from there, and promote their activities, just admit it.

My friend actually went for the basic course which has the outing component. I suppose that is the course which you are referring to. Thanks for the invitation and it is sure a real marketing effort. But I will give it a miss.

I am actually looking at the 3 which I narrowed down based on their track record, experience of instructors and infracture, and of course, prestige.

And in a way, I am also quite curious why the other schools hardly post any ad here in CS? It seems that CS forum for courses is beginning more like a PSS or SLCC forum.
    I think if you recheck the old threads, PSS, Objectifs and SAFRA do promote their courses. Sure go ahead for the prestige if you are happy with it, nobody is stopping you.

Do let us know what you have learn from that particular institution about the Basic Photography Course. Maybe you can drop by later to our studio and maybe we can talk about basic photography.

Hmmm....nah it's ok if you called dishonest. Anyway this is an open forum. So anybody can ramble just about anything they feel like it. Time and truth will prevail once you know us better. As I said, we have a wide network of friends and all us contribute to one another. That's what photography network is all about.

Learning photography is not about learning photography only. It's the process that we go thru that we learn the most. This is something our participants is happy about, and so far no complain. As mentioned in all our courses, we make sure all our participants walk out with a smile.

Let us know which friend of yours that attended our Basic Course. If she is not happy about it, please ask her to drop by our studio and analyse her problem again. We are willing to refresh course again, just for her FREE. You see some participants prefer to keep to themselves, some are just hyper active. From our knowledge, those hyper active ones always learn more because they are willing to ask and accept our advice. We do ask and inform them if there is any problem, let us know. So far from what we know it's officialy ZERO. That's a big fat ZERO.

Steven Yee has pointed out to you about PSS basic course. Since he has come forward, why not go for his recommendation.

Again good luck on your quest to finding the prestige basic course.

Thank you once again.

Hi all,

i have a question here...is here any equipment requirement to join these courses?

I am using a Canon A75 and will I be discriminate just cos I am not using a dSLR?

OR will I be sneer at if I do not have a dSLR for the course?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yap
    Hi all,

i have a question here...is here any equipment requirement to join these courses?

I am using a Canon A75 and will I be discriminate just cos I am not using a dSLR?

Thanks
    Yap,

why don't you check out in the other threads about the basic course that a few institution is offering.

and no u do not need a DSLR. A SLR is more than enough. Your A75 will help you up to a certain level in photography. If you want to have total control, a decent SLR camera will do plenty of wonders. Digicams always have a limit to what you want to acheive.

My friend actually went for the basic course which has the outing component. I suppose that is the course which you are referring to. Thanks for the invitation and it is sure a real marketing effort. But I will give it a miss.

I am actually looking at the 3 which I narrowed down based on their track record, experience of instructors and infracture, and of course, prestige.

And in a way, I am also quite curious why the other schools hardly post any ad here in CS? It seems that CS forum for courses is beginning more like a PSS or SLCC forum.
    Hello truth-photographer, due to computer break down, I have to clear your doubt so late. I apologise for the delay.

SLCC is Stanley Lim Color Centre instead of Stanley LEE Color Centre. Toto38 is Stanley Lim himself while I am his wife, Joanne, who share this nick with him. Pro Image is our senior instructor in SLCC while Blitz28 is our newly appointed instructor replacing our previous instructor who had left SLCC.

We had never hide our own true ID, those who came to SLCC before would had known. We see no point in using multiple IDs to promote our courses because we have a shop front here in Singapore and every customers can just step into our shop to gather information.

I always tell my students we have to be sincere to our clients as if they are our old friends. I am practising this as well, that's why there are SLCC has so many friends here.

However, as business sense goes, we need to earn some profit margin in order to survive, but our margin is not that great as you can judge from our course fees. Stanley is very lucky that his hobby is actually the way he earns his living. He had decided to adopt a low profit margin policy to cover the overheads, so that SLCC can survive and he can share his knowledge in photography with others.

If you need to know more about us, please feel free to drop by SLCC at Midlink Plaza, but do give me a call before you headdown just in case I am away.

Just a side note, we have organised a free workshop on 20 March. You can SMS me or call me to register without letting me know your nickname, but please leave your full name. You are free to raise any questions you want to ask during the workshop. You do not have to sign up any course with us after the workshop, this workshop is meant to share and let others knows and understand us.

Quote Originally Posted by Toto38
    I always tell my students we have to be sincere to our clients as if they are our old friends. I am practising this as well, that's why there are SLCC has so many friends here.
    I never doubt so since the first day I meet you. I still remember that you "FORCED" me to take the green tea while waiting for you.

Hi, truth-photographer, Mr Yip's is on page 04. Yup I am the one featured in the wedding photography in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Yap
    Hi all,

Thanks
    I do not know your model feature...but as long as a digicam with manual control on aperture & shutter speed will be good enough to join the basic course.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilarion
    Hi, truth-photographer, Mr Yip's is on page 04. Yup I am the one featured in the wedding photography in Europe.
    sorry, a bit off-topic, nice website!! I tried going to your website when you posted in my Miss O thread, had a problem that time.

I am trying to filter them out. I prefer honest postings from real genuine clubsnappers. This forum should not be misused.

Come on...... this is irritating! Anyway, good marketing effort though.
    I have been following this thread.

You need a lesson in on how not to misuse this forum.

Who's this just barging in and throwing her weight around?

I mean it's nothing to me, but i hardly think you'd get much helpful advise (those that have given advise have been totally gracious i assure you!) by coming in and pointing fingers?

I've been reading your other threads, and while you sound pleasant (with well written english) most of the time, there are just statements that you make that are totally distasteful when you are new and poeple don't know you yet. I'm not trying to outcast a "newbie" to clubsnap, but after reading a few posts of yours, i'm not inclined to offer you advise, if i had any at all.

i guess you are entitled to your own opinions, but if you don't mind it at the expense of a poor impression on yourself, then go right ahead. perhaps this is my only piece of advise to you.

happy clubsnapping.

Hi truth photographer,

Welcome to Clubsnap-the portal to a wealth of photography-related information on courses, workshops, equipments and etc. It is from these information that we use to our advantage or otherwise misinterpret and misunderstand that led to false impressions.

It is definitely consumers' right to shop around and compare courses so that we eventually find one that is suitable for us. However if one does not have full knowledge or have done good research on the courses available in the market, it is not fair to make rude comments at the expense of others esp. to those who open such courses.

Since this is an information sharing forum, let me share with you my experience with SLCC. First, I took up SLCC's basic photography course then I proceeded with their actual day wedding photography course. It was only till the actual day wedding course that Stanley and Joanne realized my exposure problem. Exposure is an important aspect of photography, it is something they thought I should have mastered in their basic course. As such, they were very puzzled, of course but they did not ignore my exposure problem. Instead, they were more anxious than me to rectify my problem. They even went to great extent for me to re-attend their basic course again with their new instructor at NO COST, FREE. Now my exposure problem is solved and I have built up my confidence in taking good photos.

On a final note, I am in no way trying to promote SLCC or their courses. Just want to relate the truth and honour a place where good photography can be learnt with good, sincere and friendly people!

I hope you are able to find a course that is suitable for you.

Good day!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast