Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: Confused over flashes and CLS

  1. #21

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post
    Gang lighting is using more than 1 speedlight for a light source point. For example, 2 or 3 speedlights mounted on a reflective parabola via a 2 or 3 way flash bracket.
    lol is that your own term.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by megain View Post
    but dont Chinese products have a reputation for being unreliable/no quality check?

    yes. Strobist: Test Drive: Yongnuo YN-560

  3. #23

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    lol is that your own term.
    lol nope I don't coin my own term. Not even qualified to do it. I've been hearing this amongst strobists for some time. It is also being touched on in Syl Arena's book on speedlighting also.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post
    lol nope I don't coin my own term. Not even qualified to do it. I've been hearing this amongst strobists for some time. It is also being touched on in Syl Arena's book on speedlighting also.
    what page? don't remember reading the term "gang-flash".

    And this is the first time I've heard it. lol.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    what page? don't remember reading the term "gang-flash".

    And this is the first time I've heard it. lol.
    I think it's the last few sections on gang lighting where he did the shot of smashing pumpkin that was used on his book's cover page. He was talking about using multiple flashes to raise overall flash power and he was using 8 or 10 of them in total if I remembered correctly.

    I'm kinda sure the term "gang" did appeared there. Well that's the first time I heard this term via the book, and "gang lighting" does return search results on google

  6. #26

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post

    And Nikon flashes are simply tougher - my SB-900 has taken countless falls and is still going strong, whereas both my Yong Nuo flashes zooms are starting to fall apart after a few falls.
    remind me to avoid you in B n S section . all my Yongnuo flash are second hand.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  7. #27

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    remind me to avoid you in B n S section . all my Yongnuo flash are second hand.
    must've been super cheap.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    must've been super cheap.
    2 digit range. how can i not be happy. meow .
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  9. #29

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    I just realized no one brought up TTL sync cords yet.

    Pearstone TTL Flash Cable Review

    If you can live with the wire then this is the simplest and most reliable way to get one flash off camera, while retaining TTL, HSS etc. This can also work as part of a CLS set up - the commander flash can be placed off camera which helps to avoid LOS issues, and the commander flash can now become one of the off camera lights, giving you one extra light to play with.

    I have a 10m cord which I bought from ebay, there is also this awesome version which allows you to use lan cable to connect between the heads.

    Pixel Componor – TTL cords done properly | Lighting Rumours

  10. #30
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post

    what page? don't remember reading the term "gang-flash".

    And this is the first time I've heard it. lol.
    First time i heard of gang lighting too... sounds so.. underground.

    Usually we just call it, multiple off camera flashes...

  11. #31

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post

    I have a 10m cord which I bought from ebay, there is also this awesome version which allows you to use lan cable to connect between the heads.

    Pixel Componor – TTL cords done properly | Lighting Rumours
    How much did you pay for the 10m cord (with shipping fees) and how long did it take to deliver?

    I was looking for this earlier (few months back). The only "local store" that has this was DD Electronics but they said they need to order from overseas supplier. They took damn long to process (and all the non-response when I asked for updates) and I called off the order and bought something else.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    I can't remember exactly but it was more than S$50.

    Prices seems to have dropped since then though

    10m nikon ttl sync cord | eBay

  13. #33

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    First time i heard of gang lighting too... sounds so.. underground.

    Usually we just call it, multiple off camera flashes...
    Not sure though, maybe it's something more used in the west? Like something to differentiate the idea of "gang" vs multiple off cam flashes.. Cos multiple off cam flash could have meant multiple point lighting, where as a 2/3/4 way flash bracket under a parabola/umbrella/softbox is actually one point light only.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post
    I can't remember exactly but it was more than S$50.

    Prices seems to have dropped since then though

    10m nikon ttl sync cord | eBay
    Hmm those are not as ideal cos they are essentially coiled. I have those 3 meter TTL coiled - they're not really stretchable and if you do stretch them, the stand may just fall if I don't place a heavy weight to stabilize it. So it's essentially kind of like a 1 meter cord. The earlier one you've posted as reference is much better as it is a straight 10m cord.

    That time when I want to buy from DD Electronics it was about $120

  15. #35
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avsquare View Post

    Not sure though, maybe it's something more used in the west? Like something to differentiate the idea of "gang" vs multiple off cam flashes.. Cos multiple off cam flash could have meant multiple point lighting, where as a 2/3/4 way flash bracket under a parabola/umbrella/softbox is actually one point light only.
    Not really as none of my US friends call it gang lighting... I guess I am way behind times.

    But just a quick thought, if you group multiple flash units together to get greater intensity, you might be spending a lot more than just getting a portable strobe... just thinking aloud.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 2nd January 2013 at 05:21 PM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Bro all these can be found via googling

    Interfit STR137 Strobies 32ft Multi-Fit TTL Cord STR137

    33′/10m Straight Cord For Nikon ITTL | OCF Gear

    Lastolite bring out 10-metre Off-Camera TTL cord | Lighting Rumours

    Or you want to borrow my 10m one to try first? I'm looking to sell it off since I have no use for it after getting my Odins

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123

    Not really as none of my US friends call it gang lighting... I guess I am way behind times.

    But just a quick thought, if you group multiple flash units together to get greater intensity, you might be spending a lot more than just getting a portable strobe... just thinking aloud.
    hahaha same. never hear anyone say gang flash / gang lighting. I guess I'm way behind also.

    I have both 4 580ex2s and portable strobe. the strobe I lazy to carry out leh. loool Probably 1 of the factors ppl use multiple flash units

  18. #38

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by CorneliusK View Post
    Bro all these can be found via googling

    Interfit STR137 Strobies 32ft Multi-Fit TTL Cord STR137

    33€/10m Straight Cord For Nikon ITTL | OCF Gear

    Lastolite bring out 10-metre Off-Camera TTL cord | Lighting Rumours

    Or you want to borrow my 10m one to try first? I'm looking to sell it off since I have no use for it after getting my Odins
    The only issue was that I'm a bit scared of ordering online from overseas stores cos I don't really know about them. Not sure about Adorama at that time, but I tried B&H and doesn't seem to have stock (yeah.. kiasi lol )

    If I'm buying the Nikon Speedlights I'll find you for your 10m cord. Currently I'm on YN560I/II speedlights and Stratos system.

  19. #39
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    hahaha same. never hear anyone say gang flash / gang lighting. I guess I'm way behind also.

    I have both 4 580ex2s and portable strobe. the strobe I lazy to carry out leh. loool Probably 1 of the factors ppl use multiple flash units
    Got pros and cons la. I have a bunch of nikon speedlights as well and brackets galore. But sometimes, the time it takes to unpack and get everything set up, a portable strobe is definitely faster to setup... But then again, I do not have many assistants to do everything for me...

  20. #40

    Default Re: Confused over flashes and CLS

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Not really as none of my US friends call it gang lighting... I guess I am way behind times.

    But just a quick thought, if you group multiple flash units together to get greater intensity, you might be spending a lot more than just getting a portable strobe... just thinking aloud.
    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    hahaha same. never hear anyone say gang flash / gang lighting. I guess I'm way behind also.

    I have both 4 580ex2s and portable strobe. the strobe I lazy to carry out leh. loool Probably 1 of the factors ppl use multiple flash units
    Yeah, as eleveninth bro has pointed out, a strobe may be bulky to carry around while speedlights are smaller. A strobe is always one point, but speedlights you can always use as an individual point or combine for greater intensities. Of course there's a limit on how many speedlights you can combine and it's diminishing returns on light intensity.

    Also, if you face a situation where you need the intensity and also shooting above sync speed, then combining HSS supported speedlights is the way to go, although the total cost may be very much higher than strobes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •