Thread: flare problem, pics inside

Default flare problem, pics inside

I have some very obvious lens flare in my most recent trip.

Lens used is nikon 35mm f1.4G and 70-200mm f2.8. Both of them has a B+W MRC UV haze filter on.

Question is, does the filter cause the flare? If so, I can probably survive without a filter.

I know a lens hood help but I think I did put on the lens hood. Or do dirty filter/lens make the problem worse?
    Last edited by dniwkh; 31st December 2012 at 09:07 PM.

use hood

change angle

clone out the flare.

Default Re: flare problem, pics inside

lens hood is only good for preventing stray light enter the lens causing the flare, you are including the light source into your frame, no lens hood can help.

filter is probably the cause, but for me I won't bother so much about on these two images as this make the images more authentic.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Nice pictures. I got these in some of my pictures when the sun is too strong even without filter on. The flares sort of prove that it is really bright and sunny. But if it bothers you, photoshop is the way to go.

Lens flare is also usually an unavoidable part of certain lenses. The filter may be the cause, it's easy to test this.
    Alpha

Your angle is like asking for it. You will really run into trouble even without a filter, especially the first one. But I'm not taking anything away from these photos. They're beautiful.

I would definitely remove the filter, and attach the lens hood. But there are too many factors at play here. In the end, I think the photo is fine, and I am hardly bothered by the flare.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Errr no. For the first picture, you are already asking for flare. By just looking at the angle, the sun is going directly into the lens without even hitting the hood. Therefore the hood is still pointless.

The second photo, were you using 70-200? Even Canon's top best telephoto still have flare. That little amount is good enough. That was a harsh sunlight in the weather. Not often you would have it here.

probably unavoidable .

so spend more time enjoying your wife and kid, less worrying about flare
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Lol, I would only ask for more flare in this case. As long as they make the scene the mood and feel that I want while not destroying my subjects.
    Equipment: D800|D700|11-16|28-75|105 Micro VR|50 F1.4G|85 F1.8G
    Through the Lens of Cowseye

thanks for all the replies. The above two are just the keepers (despite of the flares) and I had some nice shots that are ruined by flare at the WRONG places.

It is hard to "get" the flares at the proper places, and much easier to "add" in a digital flare I guess than to clone one out.

If the filter really contributes, I will probably remove it for my next trip.

As others have mentioned, shooting into the light is asking for flare.

There are solutions even then if you must avoid this, but the trouble is that you have people in your photographs and these are candids. If not, you can set up a tripod, cover the light source and layer two shots - one with flare and one without. I've done that for night shots where the flare was unavoidable.

The filter might have also caused the problem. Or at least contributed to it. To be 100% sure, just don't use filters. I don't. A lens is designed to be used without any filters. Any filter manufacturer that tells you otherwise is trying to pull a fast one.

I got this issue with my tokina 16-28 as well, especially in the night, rainbows will appear around lamps/street lights.