Thread: Morning Flyer!

Default Morning Flyer!

Hi Guys! This is my first ever post on ClubSnap, and this photo here is my VIRGIN LANDSCAPE SHOT. I would really want to get some critique, to see how am i faring!

1.In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    Composition, framing or post! Anywhere i did anything wrong!

2.What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    To capture the sunrise of the Singapore flyer area, and also to try out my wide angle lens, haha!

3.Under what circumstance was the picture taken?
    Firstly, i had to get there pretty early for this, which was okay, considering this was for photography. But i even got injured by falling into the water, some cuts and bruises. But i'm glad i came back with something after the shoot!

4.Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    Personally i really love this, although i know i'm an amateur and this would probably be bad in someone's eye. (But hey, thats why i'm here for critique, right?) This is my first landscape shot with a DSLR and this is really a start of my journey towards professional photography. I hope to improve myself further, and post even higher quality shots.

Last edited by JoonWeh; 30th December 2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: fix image link

Default Re: Morning Flyer!

Please update a short writeup with regard the four questions..
    Reminder

A short writeup is compulsory for every picture posted for critique.

Pictures posted without a short writeup and does not include any or all of the following will be deleted without notice:-

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.

Also, please only post ONE picture per thread and allow at least ONE week before posting another thread - this is to allow adequate feedback on images posted for critique.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Please update a short writeup with regard the four questions..
    I'm sorry! Didn't read the forums rules carefully before posting. I'll take notice in future, sorry!

quite a nice attempt!
    personally feel that it would be nicer for slightly more space on the top

Quote Originally Posted by shiosaki View Post
    quite a nice attempt!
    personally feel that it would be nicer for slightly more space on the top
    thanks shiosaki! appreciate your time! the reason i cropped the top out more, was due to the uninteresting sky, so i figured i let more emphasis be on the structures! Thanks for the tip anyway! =)

Quote Originally Posted by JoonWeh View Post
    Hi Guys! This is my first ever post on ClubSnap, and this photo here is my VIRGIN LANDSCAPE SHOT. I would really want to get some critique, to see how am i faring!

1.In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
    Composition, framing or post! Anywhere i did anything wrong!

2.What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
    To capture the sunrise of the Singapore flyer area, and also to try out my wide angle lens, haha!

3.Under what circumstance was the picture taken?
    Firstly, i had to get there pretty early for this, which was okay, considering this was for photography. But i even got injured by falling into the water, some cuts and bruises. But i'm glad i came back with something after the shoot!

4.Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
    Personally i really love this, although i know i'm an amateur and this would probably be bad in someone's eye. (But hey, thats why i'm here for critique, right?) This is my first landscape shot with a DSLR and this is really a start of my journey towards professional photography. I hope to improve myself further, and post even higher quality shots.
    I would reposition more to the right n a few steps down..so there's less of the walk way but he will still be there..also since the water is pretty still u should have captured more water reflections n sky..cause now the water reflections of the sun is totally blocked..so kinda defeats the purpose of a Sun rise...u can also shoot in portrait..would make an awesome silhouette shot off the guy standing there n the sun to the left off him...never be afraid of shooting portrait ..
    Last edited by eggie87; 1st January 2013 at 08:45 AM.

Personally, I think you nailed this shot very well. The mood of the picture is there - the positioning of the sun, water, human and architecture in place to piece the story with the frame. I would say this is a good start and as long as balance technicality and creating the right story in within each frame, I am sure you should be able to record a lot of nice visual imagery. Keep on going. Photography is very addictive.

yeah like what some said, I would have shifted my position all the way to the waterline, moved a little further back. so that the "jetty" is at the left, guy still visible, see if your lenses are wide enough to get the gardens by the bay too...
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

for a first attempt at landscapes, i think its very good! i guess a bit more of either the water/reflections or the sky would've been nice, but as it is, i think u should be proud of urself!
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

Quote Originally Posted by eggie87 View Post
    I would reposition more to the right n a few steps down..so there's less of the walk way but he will still be there..also since the water is pretty still u should have captured more water reflections n sky..cause now the water reflections of the sun is totally blocked..so kinda defeats the purpose of a Sun rise...u can also shoot in portrait..would make an awesome silhouette shot off the guy standing there n the sun to the left off him...never be afraid of shooting portrait ..
    Hi eggie87! Hmm, i'll take note of the next time! I suddenly had a slight realisation about this, that the walkway being too much in frame! Thank you for that... Yeah, i agreed that the reflections of the sunrise being blocked defeats the purpose of it, i'll be careful of that in future too! Haha, i'll keep that in mind, an alternative for landscape is also portrait... =)

Quote Originally Posted by oracle0711 View Post
    Personally, I think you nailed this shot very well. The mood of the picture is there - the positioning of the sun, water, human and architecture in place to piece the story with the frame. I would say this is a good start and as long as balance technicality and creating the right story in within each frame, I am sure you should be able to record a lot of nice visual imagery. Keep on going. Photography is very addictive.
    Thank you for the kind compliment, oracle0711! It really means alot to me... Hmm, i certainly hope i am able to get much better and produce even more good shots! Yes i totally agree with that, its a positive form of addiction, haha! Cheers to you too! =)

Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    yeah like what some said, I would have shifted my position all the way to the waterline, moved a little further back. so that the "jetty" is at the left, guy still visible, see if your lenses are wide enough to get the gardens by the bay too...
    Hahaha, wow, i have a feeling thats gonna need some pretty wide angle goodness there! Well, maybe i'll revisit this sometime or another, for another composition at this location! And hopefully, i'll have some better equipment to get wide enough! Thanks for the time too, luntut. Cheers, have a great day! =)

Quote Originally Posted by heshanj View Post
    for a first attempt at landscapes, i think its very good! i guess a bit more of either the water/reflections or the sky would've been nice, but as it is, i think u should be proud of urself!
    Wow, thank you heshanj for the flattery! Yes, as most people here have mentioned, the reflections would have certainly made the shot even better... I'll take note of that, appreciate the tip! =)