Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Is crop body better for wildlife/ sport photography?

  1. #1

    Default Is crop body better for wildlife/ sport photography?

    Just wondering if an APS-C camera is better for sports and wildlife shooting compared to a full frame one because of the crop factor?
    Hoping that the experts on CS can enlighten me.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    1,977

    Default Re: Is crop body better for wildlife/ sport photography?

    I would rephrase it as APS-C is more preferred due to the crop factor which gives the extra reach rather than saying it is better than full frame cameras....
    In the eyes of the beholder!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Is crop body better for wildlife/ sport photography?

    Depends on the focal length required and the lenses you have available.

    However, FF cameras generally have much better AF systems too (ignoring the cheap, stripped models like 6D, D600, etc).
    Alpha

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by undergrd
    I would rephrase it as APS-C is more preferred due to the crop factor which gives the extra reach rather than saying it is better than full frame cameras....
    Thanks for rephrasing it. That's what I meant. I haven't shot FF but it just seems that you lose that extra bit of reach without the crop factor.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae
    Depends on the focal length required and the lenses you have available.

    However, FF cameras generally have much better AF systems too (ignoring the cheap, stripped models like 6D, D600, etc).
    I have a 70-300 and was thinking of shooting some football action and birds.

    I take your point about the AF system. I have an A77, I think it has pretty good AF in good light.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is crop body better for wildlife/ sport photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by ssbcc View Post
    Just wondering if an APS-C camera is better for sports and wildlife shooting compared to a full frame one because of the crop factor?
    Hoping that the experts on CS can enlighten me.
    Both are great.

    The difference is in the price.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

  7. #7

    Default Re: Is crop body better for wildlife/ sport photography?

    personally i prefer a APS-C camera for sports/wildlife as it gives you an extra reach w/o the use of a teleconverter...

    eg: using an 80-200mm on my D7000 (1.5x crop) gives me a range of 120-300mm @ f/2.8... whereas if you use a 80-200mm on a FF camera... you only get a range of 80-200mm... with a 1.4x TC, you will get a range of 112mm-280mm @ f/4...

    as you can see you lose one stop with a 1.4x TC mounted on (may be a major factor if you shoot indoor sports) and with a TC mounted on, you may lose a little picture IQ (major turnoff for those who pixel peep or who are anal about picture IQ)..

    of cos this are jus my personnal opinion
    Last edited by nyxes; 3rd January 2013 at 11:35 AM.
    I Am Nikon

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is crop body better for wildlife/ sport photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by ssbcc View Post
    Just wondering if an APS-C camera is better for sports and wildlife shooting compared to a full frame one because of the crop factor?
    Hoping that the experts on CS can enlighten me.

    I wont say its better..but it just works differently. Read up what you gain and what you loose if you were to use APS-C for that matter. If it works for you. Then go ahead.

    You should know..yea u can get extra reach for APS-C.. but ISO perf might not be as good. You might want to consider this if u shoot in low light. Then AF speed.etc etc.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is crop body better for wildlife/ sport photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by ssbcc View Post
    Just wondering if an APS-C camera is better for sports and wildlife shooting compared to a full frame one because of the crop factor?
    Hoping that the experts on CS can enlighten me.
    Yes. .

  10. #10
    Member Obelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    538

    Default Re: Is crop body better for wildlife/ sport photography?

    Apart from the extended reach in an APS-C camera (as compared to a FF camera), the AF system of the said camera is also an important factor. Sometimes you are bounded by unfavorable lighting exposure, making it difficult to pin point your focus. Looking at many Canon bird shooters, preference of using a 1D4 (APS-H) over the 7D (APS-C) is obvious in the shooting field even though the crop factor is 1.3x vs 1.6x.

    Just an observation.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is crop body better for wildlife/ sport photography?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
    Apart from the extended reach in an APS-C camera (as compared to a FF camera), the AF system of the said camera is also an important factor. Sometimes you are bounded by unfavorable lighting exposure, making it difficult to pin point your focus. Looking at many Canon bird shooters, preference of using a 1D4 (APS-H) over the 7D (APS-C) is obvious in the shooting field even though the crop factor is 1.3x vs 1.6x.

    Just an observation.
    Apparently the 1D4 has much more accurate AF.
    LensRentals.com - Autofocus Reality Part 3B: Canon Cameras

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •