Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: first night shot on tripod

  1. #1
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default first night shot on tripod



    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    comments on WB and shutter speed setting
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    to capture the vibrancy along the river. added the lower left portion to give an perspective view of the river, without which one might not know that it is a river.
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    very relax mood.
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    shot at iso80, f8, 5s, not too sure if WB is ok and whether it is overexposed or underexposed. Aspect ratio set at 16:9

  2. #2

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    the photo is underexposed to the extent of not being able to delineate the buildings from the background.

    too much dark(black) sky also equates to excessive space which does not add to the photo.

    try shooting at around 7.00 to 7.45pm for better results.

  3. #3

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    try f 11 @ 30seconds . the taller buildings are under exposed .

    since you have a tripod might as well expose longer
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  4. #4
    Member eggie87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seletar Hills Estate, Singapor
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post

    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    comments on WB and shutter speed setting
    2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    to capture the vibrancy along the river. added the lower left portion to give an perspective view of the river, without which one might not know that it is a river.
    3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    very relax mood.
    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    shot at iso80, f8, 5s, not too sure if WB is ok and whether it is overexposed or underexposed. Aspect ratio set at 16:9
    Too late a shot..too short a shot..increase shutter timing....colors are fine cause it's too dark to know the natural sky color ..if u shoot earlier u would have proper color balancing...

  5. #5
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    thkq for all valuable advices.

    this is another one taken 6 min earlier at about 7.30pm, with the same settings



  6. #6

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    thkq for all valuable advices.

    this is another one taken 6 min earlier at about 7.30pm, with the same settings


    this looks slightly better than the orig but its still quite underexposed...

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    thkq.
    Night exposure seems quite tricky, esp outdoor where one cannot use a grey card, lightmeter etc.

    How could one decide the "right" exposure?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,676

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    The ambient light will remain constant for a period of time i.e. 5 to 10 mins. Take a few test shots with the camera reading and then dial in adjustments as you deem fit. Nothing complex. Taking the photo at the right time is more critical.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,676

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    thkq for all valuable advices.

    this is another one taken 6 min earlier at about 7.30pm, with the same settings


    The ambient light is just too dark. Lights are too contrasty and even if you increase the exposure, the highlights will go through the roof, its not going to help. If you are just starting out to do night shots, set up your camera early and observe the ambient light change. Take a photo say..... every 5 mins or so to see which one you like best. Ideally, there should still be enough ambient light for you to record details in the buildings so you don't end up with a photo showing bright artificial lightings and nothing else.

  10. #10
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,634
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    The ambient light is just too dark. Lights are too contrasty and even if you increase the exposure, the highlights will go through the roof, its not going to help. If you are just starting out to do night shots, set up your camera early and observe the ambient light change. Take a photo say..... every 5 mins or so to see which one you like best. Ideally, there should still be enough ambient light for you to record details in the buildings so you don't end up with a photo showing bright artificial lightings and nothing else.
    Aside from what Kit has mentioned, I find that shooting when the sky is too dark will not allow the edges of the buildings to be properly outlined. As mentioned, the lack of ambient light will means only the artificial (interior and exterior) light illuminating the building, but that may not sufficiently outline the structure of the building. You may be familiar with the piece of structure, but someone from another country may not. You would want to show up the design of the structure with ambient light as well. In fact, with better ambient light, the colours of the shops is far more impressive that the artificial lights from these buildings. I normally shoot up till 20 minutes after the sun has set, but some continue on, and some books will tell you to shoot up to 30 minutes after the sun has set. It really depends on the amount of light present in the scene and your preference. I am more comfortable with shots taken within 15 to 20 minutes after the sun has set, and that is my preference and I work with that. But a scene with dark sky for me is a no-no and I rarely keep such images nowadays.

  11. #11
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    noted with thanks to all.

    this one taken at 7.27 but with iso at 400, f8 and 2s...with a slightly different perspective and foreground a bit messy.
    does this give the so-called better ambient light?

  12. #12
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,634
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    noted with thanks to all.

    this one taken at 7.27 but with iso at 400, f8 and 2s...with a slightly different perspective and foreground a bit messy.
    does this give the so-called better ambient light?
    You could go down more. When I shot here, i went a few steps down the stairs below people. Usually people won't sit even lower.

  13. #13
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    hi thanks. didn't dare to stand too near the water. LOL

    How is the ambient light in this last pic? is it much better?

  14. #14
    Member eggie87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Seletar Hills Estate, Singapor
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter View Post
    hi thanks. didn't dare to stand too near the water. LOL

    How is the ambient light in this last pic? is it much better?
    Much better.=)

  15. #15

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    prefer to have the cleaner foreground from the 1st pic and the nicer ambient light from the last pic. suggest cloning away the branches/leaves at top left.
    e.g.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  16. #16
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    thank you all.

  17. #17

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    you are most meow-come. happy shooting!
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

  18. #18
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    meow meow, got to find some time to go back to re-shoot, meow

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2xpeter
    noted with thanks to all.

    this one taken at 7.27 but with iso at 400, f8 and 2s...with a slightly different perspective and foreground a bit messy.
    does this give the so-called better ambient light?
    Definitely better..

  20. #20
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: first night shot on tripod

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    prefer to have the cleaner foreground from the 1st pic and the nicer ambient light from the last pic. suggest cloning away the branches/leaves at top left.
    e.g.
    thkq Zaren. This is BEAUTIFUL!
    do you mind if i use yr this piece of work as my Facebook cover?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •