Do take care when traveling to batam/bintan/riau islands area.... 4 of our friends were just diagnosed with the deadliest form of Malaria (Plasmodium Falciparum) and was clinging on to their life in ICU since this Monday. 3 of them got better and has been transferred to normal wards. Their malaria count is almost zero, but there's already damage to the liver and kidney, so they need time to recover in hospital. One remains in ICU. Apparently all 4 of them have been visiting fishing villages/ kelongs in the region.
Please take care and take necessary precaution and malaria pills if you are visiting these areas.
Please note that malaria symptoms will only start showing 10-30 days after infection. So if you find you exhibit some symptoms around 10-30 days after a trip to a rural area, you should seek medical help and get tested for malaria and dengue.
- For malaria pills, start taking a week before the trip to be effective.
- Take a tab every week you are there on the trip.
- And after the trip, continue taking one tab every week for 4 weeks.
- Those with G6PD have to take a capsule every day of doxycyline while away.
- Advice quoted from a CSer/photo-enthusiast/Medical Doctor