View Poll Results: did your salary 2x cause with factory automation, 3 workers job are now done by 1

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • true

2 9.52%
  • not true

19 90.48%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is what minisiter said in tv interview true

Company in sg is allowed to hire so many foreigners when many locals are jobless.

Quote Originally Posted by rapierr
    Company in sg is allowed to hire so many foreigners when many locals are jobless.
    that depends... whats the size of your company...

anyway, hiring foreign workers is cheaper than local, and easier to manage but my company only hire locals despite all the 'incentives'
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-New
    If I rememebr correctly, the minister is referring to reorganising cleaners job. He said, in the old days, when 3 workers are need at $500, after restructuring the job, 1 worker can do 3 workers job, and the worker will get $1500.
    I think you have to ask the minister to check his facts.

I doubt the cleaner gets X3 of his old pay after the sacking of his 2 other fellow workers. He may only get $20 more?

But with the restructuring and clever equipments, he now have to do X3 of his old job and do it faster and better.

Those who are left behind may have a job but not a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    are you referring to lim swee say, deputy Ntuc chief?
    Yup, thats him, was interviewed by channel 8, was shown on TV on thursday nights current affair show.

At least thats what I understand from his comments. Unless my mandrain that bad that I cant understand normal day to day mandrain (not the lawyer type, too cheem).
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Actually theres a lot of industries where there are not enough singaporeans or singaporeans just dont like to do. Take a look at our hospitals for eg. At least half of the medical support staff eg. nurses are foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by shioks76
    Actually theres a lot of industries where there are not enough singaporeans or singaporeans just dont like to do. Take a look at our hospitals for eg. At least half of the medical support staff eg. nurses are foreigners.
    this was a point that the government or the media made many years ago to encourage people to be open about the idea of taking up jobs that are physically tougher.

that roughly means... if i studied and graduated with a degree in electronics, and my job opportunities get affected because of competition coming in from the foreigners, i should consider working as a factory assembly worker too.

Quote Originally Posted by frcfyp
    this was a point that the government or the media made many years ago to encourage people to be open about the idea of taking up jobs that are physically tougher.

that roughly means... if i studied and graduated with a degree in electronics, and my job opportunities get affected because of competition coming in from the foreigners, i should consider working as a factory assembly worker too.
    I think this may be the ultimate scenario of a well-educated workforce that we have a street cleaner with master in environment science from Monash University, the pork seller with bachelor in biochem from University of Manchester and taxi driver with a double degree in economics and law from UCLA?

The foreign workers cannot fight with us any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I think this may be the ultimate scenario of a well-educated workforce that we have a street cleaner with master in environment science from Monash University, the pork seller with bachelor in biochem from University of Manchester and taxi driver with a double degree in economics and law from UCLA?

The foreign workers cannot fight with us any more?
    More debasing (US Style) of tertiary education coming right up methinks.

Seriously though, it's mostly BS bits of qualifications (short courses, OHS tickets etc) that seem to bedazzle employers. Hell, on a recent shoot for a client (factory) my PA and I had to endure a half day OHS session and associated bollocks, all for a 90 minute shoot. The stupid part was that we were accompanied by the factory manager and attendent flunkies, so the course was a complete and utter waste of time. Though it was fun billing them for the time
    Last edited by Ian; 12th March 2005 at 02:29 PM.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    More debasing (US Style) of tertiary education coming right up methinks.

Seriously though, it's mostly BS bits of qualifications (short courses, OHS tickets etc) that seem to bedazzle employers. Hell, on a recent shoot for a client (factory) my PA and I had to endure a half day OHS session and associated bollocks, all for a 90 minute shoot. The stupid part was that we were accompanied by the factory manager and attendent flunkies, so the course was a complete and utter waste of time. Though it was fun billing them for the time
    The printing company I work with has spent big bucks for OHS certifications in quality assurance (ISO 9001) and environmental management system (ISO 14001) but pay peanuts for the workforce.

Every three months I get an update version of job specs to follow new work procedures. I was put through a trial run of internal OHS audit last week because the OHS auditors are visiting the company next week.

How do you expect monkeys like us to get "orgasmistic" about the OHS craps? Give us more bananas or a female chimp.

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    Hey yeah, maybe it's time to restruct the ministers' jobs as well. Getting one minister to do the job of 3 and retrench other two. Pay that guy x2 then... Fair deal?
    i think u got something wrong. this formula DO NOT apply to ministers.

the ministers pay formula is:

1 minister do 3 ministers' job = (1 minister pay X 3) * 1.2 (for incentive to prevent corruption)

and retrenched ministers will be posted to GLCs to become chairman and directors la.

He also forgot to mention that transport costs also gone up too as with water, electricity ... etc.

don believe every word the govt says. alot wayang one. some just to boost up the confidence. keep saying economy getting better..... but where are the jobs??? why i still havent get pay increment for more than 4-5 years already????
    Last edited by Yeowww; 12th March 2005 at 03:26 PM.

It may not sound logical on my part, but I do agree that for the more manual jobs like construction worker, where singaporean doesnt want to be in, its ok for our foreigner friends.

But what about engineer level? From my experience, we just dont have capable people to handle certain areas because its just too specialize and the 2 uni in singapore just dont have such courses, as such, we do need our foreigner friends so that the company can grow, and then employ more people for the production lines.

For AE, EA, Tech level, I dont see the needs for company to employ foreigner, Hell, singapore has 5 poly to educate the people to support the industrial. If they are employing foreigner, dam, the poly are not doing a good job right?

I am from engineering field, so a/m are all engineering related.

Anyone care to share their opinion for finance & service sector?

Do you think the gov. are too high up and had lost tourch of the commoners?

BTW, this thread / poll is to discussed if what the minister said is correct, not to cookup a storm over the employment of our foriegn friends here.

Pls keep to the subject.

Oops, I am also of those who had stray from the subject. Ha ha ha. Sorry.

Erm.. May I know what is your poll asking for exactly? I don't really quite understand..
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Like I said, to find out is the general population think what the minister said is correct.

As to what did he said in the channel 8 interview, read my starter thread.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    Do you think the gov. are too high up and had lost tourch of the commoners?
    Absolutely.How many of them live the lives that you and I do?Struggle to make ends meet, having to save and not splurge...Sell lenses before buying a new SLR body..Or even experienced them?
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

I know of a company, everyone multi-task (common, who dont nowadays?) since it had afew retrenchment over the years. But did their pay 2x? You know the answer.

Best new yet, now the variable bonus (not the 13 month) are tie in with performance. I support this method.

Why did I bring this up? Cause even if they hit the target, the highest limit of this variable bonus less than 10% of their pay. No, not typo error cause its not grammer. Less than 10% of their pay as variable bonus if they hit the target.

That is how tough it is out here, where most are bitting the bullets. Is easy to say "you have to bit the bullet, take the pay cut when times are bad".

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    Like I said, to find out is the general population think what the minister said is correct.

As to what did he said in the channel 8 interview, read my starter thread.
    CSers = General Population?

Or CSers = Elitist photographers = 0.2% of population?

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie
    Didn't you know? Our minister's pay is pegged to the industry creame de la cream(the top crop), to attract more bright people to the Civil service sector and to deter corruption(using high pay).
    so can we honestly say that
    in every case of corruption,
    its not corruption,
    but one being under-paid?

^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    CSers = General Population?

Or CSers = Elitist photographers = 0.2% of population?
    Aside from having common interest in photography, can I say CSERs are from all walks of live in singapore. Only problem with CSERs population is the gender, maybe alot less ladies here than guys. Still, should there be a difference just because of sex? Most of us are working adults, some may have retired.

So I think CSERs can more or less represent general population.

If I am wrong with a/m, pls point out where I am wrong so I can be more carefull in selecting the population next time if I want to conduct a survey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12