10th March 2005, 10:00 PM
Urgent Computer Related Help Needed.
I'm currently facing a major problem with my Compaq Laptop Presario 2800. Due to some viruses, I decided to reformat my computer. First off, my Laptops CD-rom drive is cranky, does not spin when boot up, so I had problems booting up with the Compaq Restore Disk. I tried using my Iomega Predator External CD-ROM to boot, but it failed to as well.... not only that , it send the Restore CD flying out like a frigging aeroplane, scratching it in the process. Thankfully, I had a friend with a similar presario 2800, so I borrowed his swappable drive, which is slightly different (has CD-R function), and his restore disk because mine is scratched. Everything worked fine..... I restored the computer, and it was NEW. Great. And then.... I installed MSN messenger, a couple of drivers, Adobe CS..... surf around to see if internet works, alls well ... except I CANNOT log into hotmail... the page simply does not open, all other websites are fine...... only hotmail. I also had problems updating windows, it fails to download the files. Seems like the problem lies only with Microsoft sites... I'm so puzzled and seriously, scared stiff. My MSN messenger also hangs a while before it starts to work again. Whats happening ? I have not had something happen before and I have reformatted my computer many times already. Pleassee help, I need my computer for some photo assignments soon.
10th March 2005, 10:03 PM
is it your firewall setting ?
which version of windows are you using?
10th March 2005, 10:05 PM
I'm using XP windows. Not SP2. No Anti Virus or FIrewalls installed thus far.
10th March 2005, 10:09 PM
The stupid thing is, I can go to the HOtmail Site, but once I press Sign in... it just keeps loading , but nothing appears. And then I go use another computer that shares the same wireless modem, and it freaking works.
10th March 2005, 10:13 PM
u better install a firewall and anti virus before u get attacked.....
anyway have you tried netscape? does it have the same problem?
10th March 2005, 10:15 PM
You need to sign up for .NET Passport to access your Hotmail account.
Refer to URL for details :
10th March 2005, 10:18 PM
an anti-virus software & firewall software are essentials as of today's. i remember cnet did an experiment or a few and concluded that WinXP without these will be infected with viruses within 10 minutes of internet usage.
11th March 2005, 10:32 AM
I'm a previous HP Helpdesk support personnel & here's my advice to you.
1) For 1 last time, format your notebook again, reinstall the entire operating system. Meaning, do a fresh installation.
2) Remove any source of internet connection cables away from your system. Meaning, NOT to have any starhub/office lan cable plug to your system as you will be "internet ready/online" after installation of windows xp.
3) After completing installation of windows xp, have all your necessary drivers installed into your system too. Next, before you go online, turn on your windows xp firewall. Steps included in blue below:
Go to Control Panel,
Classic View: Choose "Network Connections" Do a right click on "Local Area Connection" and choose "Properties" You'll see 2 tabs mainly: "General" and "Advanced" Choose "Advanced" & put a tick/check against the part where to turn on windows xp firewall.
Category View: Choose "Network and Internet Connections" then follow by "Network Connections" & the rest is the same for classic view xp.
4) Now proceed to microsoft windows update page to update all necessary windows xp patches. You'll probably have to update at least 3 times or more at microsoft windows update which will take around 1 hour +++ depending on internet traffic.
*Step to microsoft windows update: Open/Start Internet Explorer Browser, click on "Tools" Choose "Windows Update"
5) Repeat step 4 till windows no longer have any more updates for your OS. From here onwards, you may then start surfing normally with no errors on your system. Be sure to install new antiviruses to your system for safety precautions.
My Point of View after using different antivirus for many years:
Norton: Slows down system tremendously, taking up resources even though running on a P4 3.06HT system
McAfee: Works fine but unable to detect virus most of the time even with the latest version of software + dat file downloaded to system
Pc-cillin: I believed in this software since year 2000 till now that I've been using it & my friends has been using it without being infected by virus till today. This software updates very frequently which might seem a nuisance to some.
Well, that's all from me. Have all the steps performed & happy using the system.
11th March 2005, 10:58 AM
11th March 2005, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by photobeginner
Very helpful of you..! cheers!
11th March 2005, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by tokrot
11th March 2005, 12:36 PM
Thank You. I'll do just that.
11th March 2005, 01:49 PM
Update us after you're done.
Originally Posted by marcwang
11th March 2005, 02:09 PM
18th March 2005, 02:37 PM