Thread: racing track = bad news

Default racing track = bad news

hey guys, an email highlighted to me the grave consequence that will occur if the racing track is constructed.

the proposed area for development is a place for bustling biodiversity and a haven for migratory species.

so sad to hear this..

so what if the landfill is open to us? they take away one site and give us another...

Quote Originally Posted by s_wrx
    hey guys, an email highlighted to me the grave consequence that will occur if the racing track is constructed.

the proposed area for development is a place for bustling biodiversity and a haven for migratory species.

so sad to hear this..

so what if the landfill is open to us? they take away one site and give us another...
    Can you share the contents of this email ?

On the other hand, new sports activitity may breed a new generation of photographers and related equipment sales.

yes .. but sports activity can be elsewhere ... nature .. is nature :S ... destroy nature .. u can't replace it and gaurentee the birds will go there .. but sports ... u can control the location ...

Quote Originally Posted by metalgear

On the other hand, new sports activitity may breed a new generation of photographers and related equipment sales.
    But the nature is gone FOREVER...

My 2c worth,
    Nature is beautiful, and i'm all for appreciating the beauty of others, kinda like looking at pretty girls. But at the end of the day, evolution dictates that some species will have to die. We don't know anything about conservation anyway, yellowstone national park being the prime example (go read the history). Migratory species will find somewhere else to go, they always have and they always will. A small no. of species will die out eventually but thats becos they are weak and unable to adapt. We are all part of nature, what we do is no different from beavers damming up rivers or woodpeckers hollowing out trees.
    From a strictly photographic viewpoint, it will be sad to lose a good site for shooting. But thats just being selfish since not everyone likes photography and the land can possibly be put to better use for others. Its a difference of interest thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    We are all part of nature, what we do is no different from beavers damming up rivers or woodpeckers hollowing out trees.
    (abit OT .. but ..)

i disagree with this statement ... there is a BIG difference ... the reason/motive behind our actions ...

beavers dam rivers to build homes .. it's how they survive ... wood peckers peck at trees to get at worms in the trees (food) and perhaps to build their homes? ... also for survival ..

as for this move to build the race track .. its NOT for survival .. but for LEISURE ... big diff there ... u don't find beavers damming rivers for leisure or wood peckers hollowing out trees for leisure ...

it is questionable if leisure is not part of survival actually. Studies do show that it does shorten lifespan, a lack of leisure.

also, can u be sure that leaving it as it is will be the best course of action? To date, there isn't any proof to show that planned conservation has actually worked. And to be fair, we don't know any more about conservation now as we did 200yrs ago.

98% of the email was the actual article quoted off Straits Time Interactive entitled "Permanent 5km race circuit planned for Tuas".

2% states "This site is one of the last few location for
    wetland marshes for many rare bird species & roosting site for migratory birds as well."

The location was revealed in the article and this resulted in the comment as above. I was sad when I read about it.

.... But at the end of the day, evolution dictates that some species will have to die. ...From a strictly photographic viewpoint, it will be sad to lose a good site for shooting. But thats just being selfish since not everyone likes photography and the land can possibly be put to better use for others. Its a difference of interest thats all.
    evolution takes time, and we shouldn't rush things. we should just conserve what we have now and treasure it. true, nature picks out the weakest and decides its fate. but let us not be the one who make that decision, let nature take its course.

as nature photographers, we've grown to love and treasure nature even more than ever. i'm sorry but i see the place more than that and it is not merely a site for shooting, but a place with nature at its best.

then again, putting the land to a specific use to fit a certain interest will always appear to be selfish to others. *shrugs*

i'm just feeling sad about this piece news, that's all..

also, can u be sure that leaving it as it is will be the best course of action? To date, there isn't any proof to show that planned conservation has actually worked. And to be fair, we don't know any more about conservation now as we did 200yrs ago.
    you're right. we don't have a clue about conservation. we're just nature photographers with an obsession for nature and her creatures and will try our best to preserve what we have left now for our future generation.

But this is Singapore - the racetrack is like a big garden space that we miss. If its nature we're after shouldn't it be that in the wilderness, rather than a 10 min walk from the bus-stop ? Or is this a Singaporean i-want-it-now type attitude.- is it really worth saving a small piece of marshland ? I've got a Malaysian cousin who is recently toured with a local birdwatching group, only to find that people here are overawed by the so-called rare migratory birds that are part of the malaysian wildlife scene - acres of it. Maybe these ideas would have been good thirty years ago, today, its like crying over spilt milk...

But this is Singapore - the racetrack is like a big garden space that we miss. If its nature we're after shouldn't it be that in the wilderness, rather than a 10 min walk from the bus-stop ? Or is this a Singaporean i-want-it-now type attitude.- is it really worth saving a small piece of marshland ? I've got a Malaysian cousin who is recently toured with a local birdwatching group, only to find that people here are overawed by the so-called rare migratory birds that are part of the malaysian wildlife scene - acres of it. Maybe these ideas would have been good thirty years ago, today, its like crying over spilt milk...
    if we were living in M'sia or other bigger countries, i would have agreed with you. but we are living in singapore and it is a small country. what wilderness we have are all within walking distances from public transport.

whether it's worth it anot, we'll leave it up to the authorities to decide. i'm merely highlighting that the area has abundant biodiversity and it is a waste to see it go.

sad to see such pessimistic/realistic views on singapore's nature.

Quote Originally Posted by s_wrx
    if we were living in M'sia or other bigger countries, i would have agreed with you. but we are living in singapore and it is a small country. what wilderness we have are all within walking distances from public transport.

whether it's worth it anot, we'll leave it up to the authorities to decide. i'm merely highlighting that the area has abundant biodiversity and it is a waste to see it go.

sad to see such pessimistic/realistic views on singapore's nature.

With your wrx nick, I dreaded at once to read your comments on this thread. What a surprise! I find your comments refreshing and myself - a bias conclusion jumper....

I think we need the nature much much more than the race track there....'Waste' is the right word indeed.

Agreed.
    "Waste" is the word to use. But why build race track? I haven't read any articles related to it yet...

Maybe they should just use the land for commercial/industrial purposes, so we got mroe jobs, since 2 in 3 workers lost their job because the remaining 1 could do their job for 2x the salary....

already so many factory, office spaces are empty...why allocate more land for industrial/commercial??? and the govt says economy is getting better.

U believe everything they say ar?
    They saw newater clean, but my 1st bottle inside got residue... & never wanna touch it again. I only drink it coz it was forced into my mouth via the reservoir.