Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reviews of camera shops in Singapore -- sharing time !!

What about Alan Photo?
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Default alan photo

I visited Alan photo in sim lim quite a number of times ... the conclusion is as follows :
    (1) weekends its damn crowded.. salesman all engaged..so try the weekdays instead
    (2) The prices they quoted are reasonable. Slightly below market rates. Not sure will that be cheaper compared to MS colour in Ang Mo Kio. But if you ever go to MS colour in AMK, remember to tell them that you're being introduced from Clubsnap.. If you mention that, most likely you'll wink a lower price
    (3) Alan photo is a good place to get consumer cameras.. and they seems to have different brands of point and shoot digital cameras. So normally i'll introduce my frens to that place as its accessible and the price is extremely competitive

Default MS Color

Some may have heard of my story with MS Color:

John 3:16 quoted me S$60 for a 82mm Hoya MC UV filter.

I went to MS Color, the girl quoted me S$100 for 'a' UV filter. When I asked is it HMC or MC, she looked blank and took a while to 'choose' to reply NO coated !

Whoa, I quickly ran out of the shop....really.

And the thing about John 3:16, is it just me or are they 'overly-unreal' kinddsa friendly. Just freaks me out a bit. Can't complain about their pricing though....a little high(maybe for the extreamely good service smiles) but not cut throat.

Everywhere is the same ...if u enter a shop, looking like a carrot, of course the salesman acts like a chopping board...

Anyone new here, of if u have something u wanted to buy, why not just post here to ask for the price, i believe that the best answer on where to get yr stuff is quickly answered.

Tis will 100% save u the trouble looking around for the best price and enjoy more time shooting right?

cheers....
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

Hahaaa... great one GENO...chopping board

I think most shops are not interested in doing business - not just photgy shops.

They quote you a high price and give bogus discounts. Why can't they just quote the best price and get done with it. Show some integrity and sinceraity. . at least....

if they can sell for $80, why quote $150 and then 'discount' when you walk away ?

As consumers, we must fight this kind of attitude. Ultimatly, if the money is still in our pockets, we can still dictate the situation ( but be reasonable lah, ) We must not take this as the 'norm' and live with it. Just becasue evrybody is doing it doesn;t makes it right.

the best part is when u enter a shop, not only the salesman is trying to con! u, they still give u that twenty-five cent face!!!!

what the hell they are thinking? eating KFC?????

Too bad i seldom carry one cents coins..otherwise i use it to pay them for a filter!!! ha ha
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

Quote Originally Posted by radi9red
    I visited Alan photo in sim lim quite a number of times ... the conclusion is as follows :
    (1) weekends its damn crowded.. salesman all engaged..so try the weekdays instead
    (2) The prices they quoted are reasonable. Slightly below market rates. Not sure will that be cheaper compared to MS colour in Ang Mo Kio. But if you ever go to MS colour in AMK, remember to tell them that you're being introduced from Clubsnap.. If you mention that, most likely you'll wink a lower price
    (3) Alan photo is a good place to get consumer cameras.. and they seems to have different brands of point and shoot digital cameras. So normally i'll introduce my frens to that place as its accessible and the price is extremely competitive
    What about the one in Funan?
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by GENO
    the best part is when u enter a shop, not only the salesman is trying to con! u, they still give u that twenty-five cent face!!!!

what the hell they are thinking? eating KFC?????

Too bad i seldom carry one cents coins..otherwise i use it to pay them for a filter!!! ha ha
    u very funny one.
    btw, what's 25cent face?

^_^

ps-u can only pay up to $2/= with 1cent coin legally w/o being refused.
    did it on a cashier who toss my change so hard that it landed 2m behind me.
    2nd day bought $1.80 worth of bread w/1cent coins. bahahaha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    What about Alan Photo?
    OK lah. The price is slightly below market. They are down to earth doing business and if you want to chat or camera talk, they have no time for you.

For any purcahse anywhere, just ask around before you buy... I noticed that the younger ones are more impatient.

Yappy

not worth buying any camera related thing from any store from SLS! (except maybe alkaline AA batteries ) plain and simple becos u either get ripped or get attitude bengs or both. probably only AP is the only worthy shop there in SLS (IMHO). best is stick to TCW, john316 or CP. or online BnS..hehe. for alex and prime, my take is that u got to be their regular familiar-faced patron who deal with them a few times b4 they relax and be easy going with u. not to say they are bad but still all stores are businessmen

IMO, John 3:16 has the BEST service among all the camera shops. Impressed by their +ve attitude all the time.

BTW, where is TCW?

Quote Originally Posted by radi9red
    When i was new to photography , Got ripped off at adelphi basement shop (Not the one at the corner selling leica's), its the centre one .. sold me a slave flash for $120 when TCW is selling an identical same one for only $60++

freaking mad when i found out .. thats not the ethical way to jack up the price so much ..
    Hey, same here. That guy also quoted $120 for the slave flash but I didn't buy. Nikon SB600 is ~$320 while Achiever 115 A/S is ~$28, so I expect his slave flash (I think it is Suntax) to be priced below $80.

His flash appears old and 2nd hand to me. Was yours brand new??

peninsula hotel's shopping arcade,
    walk right in from Ruby and its on the right.

pple are friendly and nice there!

have been buying some small items from alan photo previously and thought they were quite okay. finally bought a lens from them one fine day at a good price and couldn't find the warranty card, thought they forgot to put it into the bag so i went back to check it out with the sales felle, he told me it was a gray set. I'm fine with that actually but at lease should let me know during the purchase, nothing was mentioned. Also, for a non local set the price was on a high side. I consider it a dishonest act since the starting price he quoted me was that of a local set, and just becoz i bargained he gave me something else without letting me know. I don't know if you guys have the habbit of making it clear to a salesman that you only want local set, but i would think it is a standard practise to supply a local set unless stated otherwise. Well I'm sure even TCW will tell u theirs is non local set when u buy from them, they should. Anyway sometimes as a buyer really gotta be VERY careful and check every detail down to the very last bit before paying, its like taking an examination, your mind has gotta be fresh or else.....

both the adelphi basement shops not worth.

ron give me big-**** arrogant attitude: i ask him something and havent finish speaking half a sentence then he argue back five lines already. KNNB

the other shop the man very childish and cheapo attitude: last time i tried his flash unit on display. i put i my own 4 brand new AA alkaline battery and test. then after testing i asked to take back my 4 batteries but he didnt want to take out the batteries and instead simply take from somewhere else and chuck me back 4 other older AA batteries. then still thick-skin say stupid things like "battery is battery what..whats the difference? why? dont like my battery is it?..". i cant believe he can stoop so low as that. KNNB

Quote Originally Posted by user111

ron give me big-**** arrogant attitude: i ask him something and havent finish speaking half a sentence then he argue back five lines already. KNNB

the other shop the man very childish and cheapo attitude: last time i tried his flash unit on display. i put i my own 4 brand new AA alkaline battery and test. then after testing i asked to take back my 4 batteries but he didnt want to take out the batteries and instead simply take from somewhere else and chuck me back 4 other older AA batteries. then still thick-skin say stupid things like "battery is battery what..whats the difference? why? dont like my battery is it?..". i cant believe he can stoop so low as that. KNNB
    mmm u mean the shop that sells branded cameras? man that sucks..batteries also want to cheap you... tis is way too low class !!!!

next time, drop his expensive camera, then paid him a "shoot n throw one", when he ask... shoot back " camera is camera what" can shoot right? DRIVE HIM UP THE WALL!!!

what the heck..both incidents were around 2 years ago. that time i was really angry but now i think back its actually quite comical and i laugh until stomach-ache..LOL! but i dont care about it already..hehe. either they wake up their idea or continue sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by user111

the other shop the man very childish and cheapo attitude:

This is terrible. Who is Ron? is that the shop in the far corner that sells Leica?

As for the "other shop", is that the shop located in the middle?

Hi all,

Dynasty (2nd floor SLS) -- You can look for Johnny (believe he works 6 days a week & rests on Tuesdays). He's a friendly and honest chap. Have bought quite a lot of stuff from him (including my camcorder, TV, DVD player, etc). All said, it's one of the more honest shops in SLS. And they're an authorised Sony dealer (unlike some of the other shops in SLS).

MS -- This is another friendly shop with competitive pricing. It's seldom as crowded as Cathay @ Peninsular, so it's easier to get the sales staff's attention.

Ultimately, as savvy buyers, good to shop around. Also, can check www.bargaincity.com.sg for a benchmark of 'street pricing' for various digicam models before heading to the shops.

MW

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhiew
    Hey, same here. That guy also quoted $120 for the slave flash but I didn't buy. Nikon SB600 is ~$320 while Achiever 115 A/S is ~$28, so I expect his slave flash (I think it is Suntax) to be priced below $80.

His flash appears old and 2nd hand to me. Was yours brand new??
    Mine looks new to me .. at least .. some silly KOKA brand.. sound like maggi noddle.. and i pay $130 for a slave flash .. what a dumb =P

From there on, i never buy anything from there again .. its the middle shop at basement adelphi.. the boss name is david or something like that .

I believe ron is the one at that corner selling the leica stuffs .. since if we read all the threads , none of us seems to like him ..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast