Thread: Need recommendations for lens (for travel usage)

Default Need recommendations for lens (for travel usage)

I bought a Fuji S1 Pro 2nd hand from someone. Included in the package is a Nikon AF 24mm f/2.8D, and a AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6D. Are these two lens sufficient for most usage - especially for vacation and travel? Any recommendations for lens that I should get?

Blog Entries

2nd hand 18-70 (D70 kit lens), small good and light.

As I understand it, the D70 kit lens is an AF-S lens right? According to Fujifilm's website, the S1 Pro is not compatible with AF-S lens. Cannot autofocus

Blog Entries

does the S1 Pro suffer from crop factor?
    It depends on what and how you like to shoot.

How about a 50mm F1.8

Sorry, me newbie don't know what is crop factor.

I like to shoot both landscapes and macros, some portraits as well. Apologies for my ignorance, but if I have the 24mm, do I still need a 50mm? And what is the significance of the F2.8 vs the F1.8?

If the AFS 18-70 cannot use then i would recommend a range of say 24 or 28-80mm. If you can afford, get the f2.8 version from Nikon (S$2000+), Tokina (800?) or Sigma (About the same as tokina i think..).

Blog Entries

24mm is wide and 50mm is standard, it is not the same.
    difference is extra light,so that means faster shutter speed and less dof

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    does the S1 Pro suffer from crop factor?
    It depends on what and how you like to shoot.

How about a 50mm F1.8
    it has 1.5x crop factor.

a lot depends on wat u want to take. for certain shoots, I even use 200 prime lens and sometimes a EF-S 10-22. for max flexibility, get a zoom lens like sigma 18-125, sigma/tamron 18-200, or Nikon AF-S 18-70 (if it works). but the quality might be slightly inferior to prime lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by red_ryder
    Sorry, me newbie don't know what is crop factor.
    Sorry, me wondering...
    why u buy the cam in the 1st place?
    becoz it's a digital camera?

Would really like to hear from u...

Well, I've had film cameras over the years but seldom took pictures because of the cost in developing. Ever since I got my Canon S45 2 yrs ago, I have taken 10 times more pictures than I have ever taken my whole life. But I stil rarely develop my photos. So I definitely prefer digital. Can experiment with different exposure settings and compositions without fear.

Why did I buy the DSLR? Mainly because it was an unbeatable deal, dirt cheap. However, since I'm new to SLRs, got a lot of terminology to learn. Like the term crop factor. I mean, only recently then I found out that 24mm lens is equivalent to 36mm in a digital camera. And only in this thread then I know that effect is called "Crop Factor".

Since u're new to SLRs, should 1st tell u that photography is not cheap.

My advice is try to know more about the lenses 1st before spending more $ on them. Do not buy 1 then find out that u prefer another.

I got the zoom lens and wide angle lens as part of the package. Don't even know if I need any other lens. That's why I'm posting here. Right now, my concern is not so much on lens quality but budget and flexibility. If the 24mm and the 70-200mm is good enough for most applications, then I won't buy any more lens.

budget should never be a concern when buying lenses. Else u'll find that U'll change to a better 1 very soon.

Could you elaborate please? What do you mean by a better lens? Sharpness? Better color?

perhaps sell the 24mm and get something like a tamron di 20-70 lo....or my all time fav...tokina atx pro II

A Nikon AF20-35mm f2.8 is the best for travel. For group photo when using at 20mm and at 35mm for a person with some scenery(as standard lens). Most possibly, you will not be using the 70-210mm cause you won't want to take a person photo with 'Blur' background.